Do you think connections are only helpful if those people like you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazybob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have a group of connections, but that group doesn't like me, I tend to think that it could only hurt my chances.

What do you guys think?

It sounds difficult to get people to change their mind about you if they are resistant to change or refuse to think anything else about you. I know there are things you can do to try to get those people to like you again, but how do you know if it's worth all that time and effort?

Members don't see this ad.

there's a difference between actively disliking someone and remaining neutral.

if you've been able to get people to actively dislike you, you might want to focus on viewing people as people and not simply as connections that might not be "worth all that time and effort."

put another way, beware of the feet you step on today because they might belong to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

Yup, connections are only good if you're favorable with them. Actually the DOP at my current hospital had asked me during my interview that "ohhh you did an APPE at X hospital, where X DOP works". I was hoping that he wouldn't follow up with that DOP because she hated me for being 10-20 minutes late every day, lol. Luckily he didn't and he only called my preceptor from the hospital within the health system.