Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Do you think "easy" majors and courses hurt?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Psycho Doctor, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. Psycho Doctor

    Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2004
    Messages:
    8,510
    Likes Received:
    6
    Status:
    Medical Student
    My gf is a psychology major with a minor in linguistics. She's creative and also has several courses of piano and dance. She took these because she genuinely wanted to learn them; she enjoyed them and she changed he rmajor a few times. She actually didn't take any science courses until her junior year because that's when she decided she wanted to go to med school. Do you think this will hurt her in med school applications?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Robizzle

    Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2006
    Messages:
    2,831
    Likes Received:
    10
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I highly doubt it. If she does well in her science courses, adcoms shouldn't have to think twice about anything.

    If anything will hurt it's if adcoms can somehow figure out that she's flip-flopped majors for so long. Might make it seem like medicine is just another major that can be replaced in a couple months... (is it?? :))
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 63768

    63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2005
    Messages:
    2,202
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Medical Student
    no. major matters little in med school admissions as long as you do well in the premed requirements.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Critical Mass

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Messages:
    1,713
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Medical Student
    No, nor does a "difficult" major help you.
     
  5. Anastasis

    Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2005
    Messages:
    9,817
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I can't image so. I changed majors multiple times and ended up in psyc/english. I had to go back and take almost all my prerecs once I was done. Interviewers never commented on it other than to show interest. She should be fine. Wish her luck! :) :luck:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. armybound

    armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Messages:
    4,777
    Likes Received:
    396
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    if they cared they probably wouldn't take coursework from community colleges
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. OP
    OP
    Psycho Doctor

    Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2004
    Messages:
    8,510
    Likes Received:
    6
    Status:
    Medical Student
    well actually I think her declared major before starting classes (she changed majors from when she was accepted, at orientation) has always been psych; then she changed to psychobiology. Otherwise it was more changes in career intentions, but mostly I think she didn't know what she wanted.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. MystA RavE

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2007
    Messages:
    216
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I would think that as a Bio major having taken advanced level classes (cell bio, molecular bio, etc), it is an advantage because it shows how you handle such work.
     
  9. etf

    etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Messages:
    3,060
    Likes Received:
    9
    linguistics is no joke.
     
  10. Phil Anthropist

    Phil Anthropist SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Messages:
    5,131
    Likes Received:
    4
    As a group, bio majors actually have a lower acceptance rate when compared to many other majors (albeit there are far fewer applicants within these other majors): Majors and Acceptance Rates

    This may also be of interest: MCAT and GPAs for Applicants and Matriculants by Primary Undergraduate Major, 2006
     
  11. rickthetwinkie

    rickthetwinkie Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2006
    Messages:
    239
    Likes Received:
    3
    Status:
    Medical Student
    neither is psychology. Especially upper level courses.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. MirrorTodd

    MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Messages:
    16,244
    Likes Received:
    7,077
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    You're avatar ****ing ROCKS!!!!:thumbup:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Chuckwalla

    Chuckwalla Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    5
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    You can't just look at a course or major and say it's easy. I have heard of introductory courses that were as hard as hell and advanced courses that were cake. I am sure med schools know this and just have to take it at face value.
     
  14. gary5

    gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2003
    Messages:
    1,089
    Likes Received:
    2
    If she has finished her other coursework, she should be careful not to take too many science classes at one time.
     
  15. DropkickMurphy

    DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Messages:
    9,768
    Likes Received:
    21
    Status:
    Other Health Professions Student
    I second that.....
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. gujuDoc

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2004
    Messages:
    13,874
    Likes Received:
    35
    Status:
    Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    My friend, how sadly mistaken you are.

    Major doesn't matter. Only having at least one semester of mostly science is semi important.

    At top schools, they'd rather have someone who did something like dance and piano and show talent in other areas besides pure science.

    The real importance is that she do well in whatever major and in her prereqs and MCAT and have a few decent ECs and good LORs and essays, etc.

    She'll be fine.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Eric Lindros

    Eric Lindros Guest

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2006
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    5
    I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with this or not, but it's ridiculous to say it doesn't matter as you are saying it here. Every school has its own way of evaluating applicants, and many of them DO in fact look at the courses and major you take. Actually, your post is a little contradictory because you say major doesn't matter, but then talk about how they do take major into account (the piano bit) I agree that MCAT is probably still the most important factor, but seriously, AMCAS doesn't make you list all of those courses and grades for nothing.
     
  18. baylormed

    baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2005
    Messages:
    4,304
    Likes Received:
    48
    Status:
    Post Doc
    That's only because they are the majority, not because adcoms prefer "diversity" of majors. In fact, major doesn't matter that much. Just MAJOR IN SOMETHING YOU LIKE. The End.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. PCATtaker

    PCATtaker Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    Well yeah if you majored in tennis.
     
  20. Critical Mass

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Messages:
    1,713
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Naw, you just described at least 1,200 of the 2,000 applications that the adcom had to sift through. Ditto for people thinking that graduate-level classes look good to adcoms.

    I agree with baylormed.
     
  21. gujuDoc

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2004
    Messages:
    13,874
    Likes Received:
    35
    Status:
    Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    What part of my post did you not understand? I didn't say they'd have a leg up with piano/music. I just said implied it shows diversity.

    A major does not give you a leg up. Schools want diversity and they would rather you have a 4.0 in major a then a 3.5 in major B just because major b catered more towards med school type of courses.

    They may request 1-2 semesters of pure science but it doesn't mean that you need to be a science major to do that. You can do that by doing your prereqs as 12-15 credits for 2 semesters or take a few extra science classes on the side if you want.

    And no major doesn't play a factor so much as the grades and MCAT score and Extra curriculars do. A 3.5 in Engineering isn't going to be looked at better then a 4.0 in psychology if both have an equal MCAT score and extracurriculars.

    So you are the one who is sadly mistaken.

    Now on the other hand I will agree that certain majors like engineering better prepare you for the mcat because the way they make you learn on a conceptual level and critical thinking level and those generally doing well in harder majors are generally the brigher of the bunch bc getting a 4.0 in a harder major isn't easy. But that does not mean that a person needs to be a certain major nor do I think being a bio major will help a great deal in med school because a lot of the classes you learn in undergrad teach it at a superficial level. They only help for like the first week or maybe even less then a week's worth of lectures. After that point its all mostly new stuff. The stuff we've covered in one semester of undergrad is like less then a week's material in med school.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  22. Doctor Bagel

    Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2002
    Messages:
    10,919
    Likes Received:
    1,118
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Yeah. :) There's a reason the prereqs are so light. Taking upper level science classes might look marginally good, but I don't think adcoms care that much. They know that there are have been tons and tons of successful music majors, english majors, spanish majors, etc. in medical school.

    Also, schools do like people with interests outside of getting into medical school, so engaging in artistic endeavors is probably viewed in a positive light.
     
  23. OP
    OP
    Psycho Doctor

    Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2004
    Messages:
    8,510
    Likes Received:
    6
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Thank you all for your responses. I didn't mean to imply these majors or courses were easy, this the quotes around the word easy. I just know plenty of people on sdn that feel that way. So I could see it going either way for her during the application process. She certainly took a diversified program of classes. She took the courses because she always wanted to learn them and thought college was a good opportunity. She is also quite artistic and hopes to be able to use her skills in some of her ECs, etc. We're hoping it will pay off in some sense but you neve rknow.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page