Do you think freshman yr would affect the admission for a dental school a lot?

archonsbk

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi.. i have to tell you honestly that i got bombed on my freshman yr. Well, my first semester basically... cuz i took honors courses and my professor didnt want to give good grades to many of his students, so he gave grades away based on the ranking... and i did pretty bad.. I got a D :(

Do you think if i get a decent grade on sophomore yr and junior yr and applied for a dental school with 3.4 to 3.6 GPA, do I have a decent chance? or Is it too late cuz I got a D?

p.s. my first semester of my freshman yr, i was on AP.. but i did okay on my second semester, so I got 2.6 overall now, but I will be able to boost up this GPA about 3.4 to 3.6 or so.

Dannelid

7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
If you can get your GPA up like you said, and you do decently on the DAT, you definitely have a chance.

What I've heard is that the admissions committees look for positive trends. So if you do bad your first semester but improve overall and end up with a 3.4-3.6 then I think you'll be okay. Lots of people do bad their freshman year.

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
On the application, you will have to indicate that course as honors. So that little bit will work out on your favor. Secondly, like the above poster said have a upwards trend of GPA. Lastly, from now on be very cautious about taking honors level courses.

OP
A

archonsbk

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2009
Status
On the application, you will have to indicate that course as honors. So that little bit will work out on your favor. Secondly, like the above poster said have a upwards trend of GPA. Lastly, from now on be very cautious about taking honors level courses.
Does a dental school like me taking the same class over? like the class I got a B or a BC..

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
hahaha its really not worth taking a course over if you got a B. That becomes obsessive compulsive. Re-taking a class you got a D in is more reasonable. If you need to increase your gpa, re-taking a class you got a B in barely helps you because when AADSAS calculates your gpa, it takes your B and lets say you get an A the second time around, it will take both grades into account, it doesnt ignore that you got a B the first time or a BC. So it averages out to a B+ or around there, so now you went from a B to a B+ in a 3 credit course. Instead, take a completely different class and get an A, that will do your gpa justice.

May 30, 2009
Status
wow at least you guys can take courses over if you want.

My school doesn't let us to that unless you fail.

lucky lucky :)

OP
A

archonsbk

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2009
Status
wow at least you guys can take courses over if you want.

My school doesn't let us to that unless you fail.

lucky lucky :)

But, both grades are gonna be on the transcript and it would say I retook this course....

Dec 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
2.35 first semester and I'm in now. Been getting like 3.8+ since then though. Its definitely not impossible if you work hard enough.

Dec 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
2.35 first semester and I'm in now. Been getting like 3.8+ since then though. Its definitely not impossible if you work hard enough.

PaulieGualtieri

Soprano Crew Captain
Oct 29, 2009
FL
Status
Dental Student
I had a 2.3 both freshman semesters. I got in w/ a 3.3. You should be good.:xf:

Gbrando2

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Read my sig. That was all during my freshman year and I got in.

OP
A

archonsbk

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2009
Status
Alrighty!!!

Thanks people!

I'll study hard to boost up my gpa and do really well on DAT!!