Do you think I can get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrissy88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising senior a second tier school (a new ivy league according to US News). I have a 3.55 GPA and science gpa around 3.72. I took the mcat last summer and have a 29P (11BS, 10VR, 8PS).

I have a few EC, but do not have much research experience (only 1 semester). I do not know if I should apply this cycle or take a year off and try to improve my chances. Also I do not know if I should retake the mcat.

Tell me what you think, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It would help to know your state, duration and number of hours of community service and clinical experience, leadership experience, and hours of physican shadowing.

Just curious what does 'new ivy league' mean?? Did US news not realize earlier that your Uni was > 200 yrs old?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from New York. I have 100+ volunteer experience at hospitals, I am the treasurer of my sorority, I am on EMS in my school. I am also a teaching assistant. I have only shadowed 2 doctors for one semester each. I was unsure I wanted to be a physician when I first came to college and have been trying to improve my credentials and my grades but I am scared that I do not have enough EC and my low MCAT score will prevent me when getting into medical school.

Also I'm not sure wut new ivy league means...my health professions advisor said it...maybe that its a up and coming school? idk im sorry I dont know more aobut that lol

With the EMS plus hospital volunteering, your clinical experience is fine. Your shadowing is well above average. You have teaching and maybe leadership, depending on what you did as treasurer (which is usually not leadership). About 60% of applicants have some research, and yours is better than none. You might be fine with your stats, but considering both are below the median of 3.65 and 31 for accepted students, I'd stongly suggest you consider retaking the MCAT with attention to raising the PS score, or adding DO schools to your list when you apply.

Waiting a year could give you some solid time to study for the MCAT, maybe after a formal prep course, increasing your clinical hours, and getting in a leadership experience if not already acquired, and spending more time on research. You could also raise your GPA further.

I would retake the MCAT, but you may not have to in order to have some success. If you don't, apply very broadly to a lot of schools, and include some DO schools.

Just apply broadly and try but mentally prepare yourself for another year if the results aren't up to par. You can always check out an SMP or something as well. I KNOW you stand a shot at some great DO schools but I think you still stand an ok shot at MD as well. Make your application pristine, your personal statement INTERESTING to read and have at the party.