Do you think I can get interviews with my stats ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

universalfish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ! Was just wondering what you guys thought of my situation, my undergrad GPA is a 3.2 (studied foreign language and political science) but I did a post bac and now have a 3.7 (in the postbac not overall, overall ~3.4), both done at Ivy leagues. Haven't taken the real MCAT but practice tests have been varied (range: 511 - 520) I have had a couple scholarships (full ride to undergrad, some service awards in post bac, etc) and have a lot of clinical, research and extracurricular experience... I know my undergrad GPA is terrible for med school so I was wondering what kind of schools I should be looking at/if I can get in anywhere at all. Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Have you thought of applying DO?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you a veteran or URM?
What is your state of residence?
I could see you getting some interviews with the 3.4GPA, 515 MCAT and upward trend but you'll need to cast a wide net (20+ schools). Your best bet is going to be to split your schools 50-50 with DO as you'd be above average for them... not so much for MD. The Ivy League is not going to help all that much but I'm sure some schools will give it some weight.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ! Was just wondering what you guys thought of my situation, my undergrad GPA is a 3.2 (studied foreign language and political science) but I did a post bac and now have a 3.7 (in the postbac not overall, overall ~3.4), both done at Ivy leagues. Haven't taken the real MCAT but practice tests have been varied (range: 511 - 520) I have had a couple scholarships (full ride to undergrad, some service awards in post bac, etc) and have a lot of clinical, research and extracurricular experience... I know my undergrad GPA is terrible for med school so I was wondering what kind of schools I should be looking at/if I can get in anywhere at all. Thanks !
There are MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

But for the former, you will need to ace MCAT (513+).

There are MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

But for the former, you will need to ace MCAT (513+).

I've only been on SDN for a short while, but I've seen this idea of "reinvention" discussed a few times. Are the schools that appreciate reinvention among the upper tier schools? Or might one see such grace given in the mid and lower tier schools? Is there a list somewhere? As a non trad who has been on the reinvention hamster wheel, I'd love to see what schools might be a good target for me.

ETA: just found search function and answered my own question.

Last edited: