Do you think I have a chance at USUHS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winston_79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an LT in the Navy, former SWO, now a METOC (Oceanography) officer. USNA grad 3.25 CUM (did really crappy first year but made significant improvement afterward), taken lots of pre-requisite classes recently (Ochem, Bio, Biochem)...received all straight A's. Solid FITREPs, volunteering in Emergency Dept at local hospital. But here's where the really bad news comes in...totally flopped verbal on MCAT (overall: PS 10, BS 10, V 5, Writing: P) - I took alot of practice tests so I'm not sure what happened and I'm pretty bummed out about it. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you choked on your verbal section, that must really suck considering how well you did on the other two sections. I can't really help you with what your chances are on getting into USHUS. But would it be possible to retake the MCAT? It wouldn't be fun, but a higher verbal score would really help for applying to civilian med schools and for applying to HPSP.

winston_79 said:
I'm currently an LT in the Navy, former SWO, now a METOC (Oceanography) officer. USNA grad 3.25 CUM (did really crappy first year but made significant improvement afterward), taken lots of pre-requisite classes recently (Ochem, Bio, Biochem)...received all straight A's. Solid FITREPs, volunteering in Emergency Dept at local hospital. But here's where the really bad news comes in...totally flopped verbal on MCAT (overall: PS 10, BS 10, V 5, Writing: P) - I took alot of practice tests so I'm not sure what happened and I'm pretty bummed out about it. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Med schools, as you know, look at various things when considering students for admission, including race, age, ROM (FITREPs), MCAT, GPA (sci, other), humility, and other things that make a person stand out. At my med school, we grade each applicant with points, and, obviously, the more points the better.

USUHS probably has more applicants specifically from the military, but less highly competitive applicants in general (because, after all, many med students fear the military like the bubonic plague)...so you can see the double effect here. From what I understand, USUHS is probably low-to-mid range in competitivness as med schools go...

If you look civilian allopathic...man, they love military, ESPECIALLY those from one of the military academies--they're interesting, they don't cause trouble, they work hard, etc. Keep in mind that your fellow applicants probably have a much higher GPA (> 3.6) and MCATs in the 30s (without any section < 8), but YOU will (usually) have the most interesting stories to tell. This is important because the more the interviewer likes you personally, the better he'll evaluate you...it's just the way it is.

Keep in mind that the military is quite osteopathic-friendly, and ALL of the residencies are accreditated with BOTH the allo- and osteopathic Boards (which is a VERY important consideration for DOs).

HPSP (tuition, stipend, books, etc) only has a 4 year committment vs 6 or 7 with USUHS. HPSPers are basically normal civilians...except for those 45-days of AT which, for you, would be 2 school orders (awesome, cash for sitting on your ass) and 2 at MTF (makes you feel like you're actually in the military). I liked HSPS over USUHS...uniforms, saluting, bearing

It seems like your strong in the biological and physical sciences (MCAT and grades), but less impressive in the verbal areas. Your life experiences may potentially offset this one weak area.

But here's some sound advise: talk about the Navy in interviews, apply to LOTS of schools (MD, DO), and show interest wherever you interview (read up on the school). Good luck. (Underground hint: If they ask you about what you would want to do, work Medicine or Family Practice into your answer...med schools WANT people that are going to be generalists, trust me.)

Private message me and I'll tell you about some very military-friendly allopathic schools (can't speak for DO schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
winston_79 said:
I successfully applied to USUHS few years back and they tend to look at the whole application. A score of 7 is low, but your score of 5 seriously hinders your chance at USUHS and anywhere else. I would seriously consider retaking it since your other two scores indicate you have the potential. Good luck to you.

Thanks everyone for your feedback...I do plan on retaking the exam in April however, since I've already applied for the 2005 entering class, I figured I'd ride out the storm anyway. I am pretty confident most allopathic schools will shun me b/c of my s&$tty verbal but I just wondered if USUHS would give me a look based on my military exprerience.

winston_79 said:
Thanks everyone for your feedback...I do plan on retaking the exam in April however, since I've already applied for the 2005 entering class, I figured I'd ride out the storm anyway. I am pretty confident most allopathic schools will shun me b/c of my s&$tty verbal but I just wondered if USUHS would give me a look based on my military exprerience.

I think the assessment of USUHS as a mid-range competitiveness school is about right. I think my entering class in 98 had about a 3.5 and 31 for averages. The interesting thing is that most of us had other good options for med school but wanted to go to USU although that isn't really reflected in the numbers. They definitely will like your service but I suspect that your verbal section is too low. I would strongly recommend taking an MCAT-prep class. Its worth the $1000 investment for someone whose application is right on the border of being competitive. If you are rejected this year, don't be discouraged, just retake the MCAT and try again.

BTW, what's up with METOC pre-meds?...I know of at least 2 others. Weird.

Are you to blame for the rainy weather here in SD?

Good luck.

Here's the pathetic part....I took TPR before this test and I was doing ok on verbal (not great, but definitely not as low as actual score). Taking it over is the last thing I ever wanted to do but I realize that I probably have no other choice. GMO_52, as a former USU grad, anything you recommend that I could do to possibly enhance my application for this year (ie letter to the dean, etc)? Thanks again...and I may have to find out from you offline who these other METOC-ers are.

GMO_52 said:
I think the assessment of USUHS as a mid-range competitiveness school is about right. I think my entering class in 98 had about a 3.5 and 31 for averages. The interesting thing is that most of us had other good options for med school but wanted to go to USU although that isn't really reflected in the numbers. They definitely will like your service but I suspect that your verbal section is too low. I would strongly recommend taking an MCAT-prep class. Its worth the $1000 investment for someone whose application is right on the border of being competitive. If you are rejected this year, don't be discouraged, just retake the MCAT and try again.

BTW, what's up with METOC pre-meds?...I know of at least 2 others. Weird.

Are you to blame for the rainy weather here in SD?

Good luck.

Oh yeah...about the rain, i'm probably the last person you want to ask about the weather. So, in that case, feel free to blame me all you want for the crappy weather down south.

Do I have any chance?

GPA 3.2 sGPA 3.1 econ major
MCAT 23 Q (never had time to study)

4 years active duty respiratory therapist
worked full time/school full time
GREAT recommendations
well above average leadership, teaching experience

just submitted primary app to 13 DOs and 10 MD schools yesterday

if I get an interview I can nail it.. will schools look past my numbers?

appreciate all critiques/advice

Ummmmmmm........No. Those stats will not get you into USUHS. Not likely to be offered an interview either. It would also be unlikely (from the Navy at least) you would be accepted into HPSP. You may find a spot in one of the DO schools. MD schools will often not consider any applicant with less than an 8 in any given MCAT area. Your best bet would be to take an MCAT review course so you can significantly improve your score. If you were to get into the 30s on your MCAT, you might improve your chances with the MD schools, but I think USUHS will still be a stretch.

Ummmmmmm........No. Those stats will not get you into USUHS. Not likely to be offered an interview either. It would also be unlikely (from the Navy at least) you would be accepted into HPSP. You may find a spot in one of the DO schools. MD schools will often not consider any applicant with less than an 8 in any given MCAT area. Your best bet would be to take an MCAT review course so you can significantly improve your score. If you were to get into the 30s on your MCAT, you might improve your chances with the MD schools, but I think USUHS will still be a stretch.

I have said this many times over, but will make light of it again. Everybody reviews the minimal required GPA to get into a DO school and suddenly thinks "oh boy I have a shot now!!". Here is the real scoop. A DO school will probably invite you to an interview and give you a secondary application with a GPA above 3.0 but under 3.5, but that does NOT mean that you will lock a spot!!

I will share my experience and will tell the individual of the this question to not lose hope.

I had two degrees whenever I applied to medical school, one in mathematics and another in chemical engineering. I had a year of experience doing internships as an engineer and another year of experience as a full fledged engineer. My GPA was lower than most applicants. I still gave it a shot because in my mind, I had a very difficult undergrad curriculum.

I immediately noted that most of the very competitive allopathic medical school immediately rejected my primary application. A good number of solid allopathic schools however did send me a secondary application and invite me for interviews. I had DO schools reject my primary application (gasp!!). Yes, it happens. There are some DO schools that give preference to state residents (OH for one) and those that desire primary care careers. Those will be the first DO schools to reject your application.

Give it a shot, don't be discouraged!!

I have said this many times over, but will make light of it again. Everybody reviews the minimal required GPA to get into a DO school and suddenly thinks "oh boy I have a shot now!!". Here is the real scoop. A DO school will probably invite you to an interview and give you a secondary application with a GPA above 3.0 but under 3.5, but that does NOT mean that you will lock a spot!!

I will share my experience and will tell the individual of the this question to not lose hope.

I had two degrees whenever I applied to medical school, one in mathematics and another in chemical engineering. I had a year of experience doing internships as an engineer and another year of experience as a full fledged engineer. My GPA was lower than most applicants. I still gave it a shot because in my mind, I had a very difficult undergrad curriculum.

I immediately noted that most of the very competitive allopathic medical school immediately rejected my primary application. A good number of solid allopathic schools however did send me a secondary application and invite me for interviews. I had DO schools reject my primary application (gasp!!). Yes, it happens. There are some DO schools that give preference to state residents (OH for one) and those that desire primary care careers. Those will be the first DO schools to reject your application.

Give it a shot, don't be discouraged!!

I was not trying to beat on Osteopathic schools in my comment. When I am reviewing applications for HPSP I have routinely encountered students who have been accepted to upstart Osteopathic schools who would not have a prayer of getting into schools such as Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Philly), Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, and AT Sill (Kirksville) to name a few. Students with less than a 3.2 GPA and less than 24 MCATs will be challenged to get into the majority of established medical schools (DO or MD). You will have to have an intangible to get the extra push. (Peace Corps, second career, military etc.)