DO Do you think I have a good chance at these schools? cGPA 3.5; sGPA 3.42; MCAT 11/7/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLU1223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I appreciate you for taking the time to help me out.

My stats are cGPA 3.5; sGPA 3.42; MCAT 11/7/11 (1st MCAT: 10/6/9).
I graduated 2012.
Worked 2 years as research assistant.
Volunteered a decent amount at a hospital.
Shadowed MD for a bit and DO soon.
I have 2 letter from biology professors, 1 from my college research mentor, 1 from my PI/MD, and planning to get one from DO soon.

I'm quite excited as I decided a few months ago that my chances at MD aren't very good, that I'd make a better candidate for a DO program. (My dream still lives!)

I spent some good time and made a rough list of schools that I think I'd be happy with. I live in Massachusetts and would love to go somewhere warmer! Some schools are a bit out of my score range but I think I'd give those a try just to see.

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM)
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton Campus (LECOM Bradenton)
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM)
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California (TUCOM-CA)
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (CCOM/MWU)
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)
Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Western U/COMP)
Georgia Campus–Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (GA-PCOM)

Please give me any feedback on my scores and list of schools.
I'd really would find it helpful!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You know TCOM is like 90% instate and requires a different application right?

I have read UNECOM has a regional bias.

Yours stats are fine for the rest of the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNECOM supposedly does have a regional bias, which works in OP's favor. Yay, fellow masshole! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I appreciate you for taking the time to help me out.

My stats are cGPA 3.5; sGPA 3.42; MCAT 11/7/11 (1st MCAT: 10/6/9).
I graduated 2012.
Worked 2 years as research assistant.
Volunteered a decent amount at a hospital.
Shadowed MD for a bit and DO soon.
I have 2 letter from biology professors, 1 from my college research mentor, 1 from my PI/MD, and planning to get one from DO soon.

I'm quite excited as I decided a few months ago that my chances at MD aren't very good, that I'd make a better candidate for a DO program. (My dream still lives!)

I spent some good time and made a rough list of schools that I think I'd be happy with. I live in Massachusetts and would love to go somewhere warmer! Some schools are a bit out of my score range but I think I'd give those a try just to see.

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM)
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton Campus (LECOM Bradenton)
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM)
Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM)
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California (TUCOM-CA)
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (CCOM/MWU)
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)
Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (Western U/COMP)
Georgia Campus–Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (GA-PCOM)

Please give me any feedback on my scores and list of schools.
I'd really would find it helpful!

Thanks!

Good stats. Take TCOM off...may add one of the following as safety (LMU, KYCOM, LUCOM, VCOM-CC)

3.5/29. Apply to 15 schools: 7 high tier, 5 mid tier, 2 low tier.

Oh thanks guys, I really didn't know TCOM was mostly in-state and a different application. Definitely crossing that off the list. I think I got blinded by the fact everyone keeps posting how great TCOM is!

3.5/29. Apply to 15 schools: 7 high tier, 5 mid tier, 2 low tier.

Hi serenade, so what additional high tier, mid tier, and low tier schools should I add? I thought a lot of the schools I listed were pretty up their in popularity. Thanks!

Who knows, you really want to choose schools you'll actually attend if you get into. Judging from the two CA schools you're a CA resident so I wouldn't apply to UNECOM.

Apply to PCOM, PNWU, Western-Leb, Touro-NV, AZCOM, KCUMB. Potentially add in CUSOM and MUCOM.

Who knows, you really want to choose schools you'll actually attend if you get into. Judging from the two CA schools you're a CA resident so I wouldn't apply to UNECOM.

Apply to PCOM, PNWU, Western-Leb, Touro-NV, AZCOM, KCUMB. Potentially add in CUSOM and MUCOM.

Well actually, I stated that I live in Massachusetts! =) I put down those CA schools because I would love to change up the scenery of where I live. Unless, TUCOM-CA and Western are very bias to in-state students... are they?

Well actually, I stated that I live in Massachusetts! =) I put down those CA schools because I would love to change up the scenery of where I live. Unless, TUCOM-CA and Western are very bias to in-state students... are they?

Eh, hit or miss. You might get some love, you might not. CA loves high mcats mostly.

Eh, hit or miss. You might get some love, you might not. CA loves high mcats mostly.

The stats say that TUCOM-CA and WesternU average MCAT is 30.1 and 28 respectively. I scored a 29, albeit with a 7 in verbal. -.-' But yeah, seems like they are pretty bias to in-state residents. I think I should try regardless! Maybe I will get some love.

The stats say that TUCOM-CA and WesternU average MCAT is 30.1 and 28 respectively. I scored a 29, albeit with a 7 in verbal. -.-' But yeah, seems like they are pretty bias to in-state residents. I think I should try regardless! Maybe I will get some love.

Most DO schools are pretty chill with 7s. Hell, I'm going to argue most care about total score > Bio > Verbal = PS.

It's an MA thing... neighboring states like to call us massholes (Massachusetts dinguses), so we have claimed the name as a term of endearment and state pride.

I've been in MA my whole life and not once heard of this endearing term Massholes!!! lol

Really? lol All my friends from high school use it and so do many people from college.