Do you think I'll get in somewhere?

DCpremed4409

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

So, I graduated in 2008 from a school with pretty rigorous academics with a cGPA at 3.3 and a science GPA at 3.2. 31R MCAT but I've since taught bio and gen chem so I'm retaking in April--so far I'm getting 33-34s on the practice tests. As for ECs, I did 4 years of a 2 season varsity sport, played in the marching band, was on my dorm committee, and tutored 10+ hours a week. I also did 1600+ hours of bench research in a cancer lab at my college's med school.

Now that I'm out of school, I'm working 60 hours a week (in a non-med field--in this economy I just needed a job), tutoring 5-10 hours on the side, and I've finally gotten the time to volunteer at a hospital--I do so 8 hours a week in the pediatric ICU and in the ER.

I was wondering if I could get y'alls opinion--am I competitive at all?

Thanks in advance!

virusgirl

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 12, 2008
    1. Medical Student
      Your biggest problem is your GPA -- both cum and science. Unfortunately, schools don't give a crap about how "rigorous" your school is, or how hard your major was; a 3.8 is a 3.8. So you should give some serious thought to getting those numbers up. A graduate degree will NOT do this, so take some more classes or do an SMP. I know you work a lot and the economic climate sucks, but you'll be going deep into debt anyway... what's a little more going to hurt? ;)

That being said, you aren't entirely out of the ballpark either. Some schools are less number-centric than others, so get your hands on an MSAR and make some very careful choices. Also apply to osteopathic schools, where your numbers will be much more competitive, and don't listen to the jerks who whine about how DOs aren't "real" doctors. Better to be a DO than no doctor at all!

If you're cool with the idea of osteopathic school, I think you're competitive as is. But, if you have your heart set on allopathic, I would hold off on applying until you complete some more undergrad courses. You can apply to a select few schools just to see what happens, but don't waste your money and time applying to places that are big reaches.

calimed214

10+ Year Member
      Aug 5, 2008
      1. Pre-Medical
        It's already been mentioned, but the immediately apparent weaknesses of your application are your low GPA and your lack of clinical volunteer experiences.

I would NOT retake the MCAT. It's a huge waste of time and energy. Unless your current MCAT score is extremely unbalanced (ie: < 8 on a section), it's not worth retaking. There is not a huge difference between a 31 and a 33-34. And I would say your application would be MUCH stronger by pushing your GPA closer to a 3.4-3.5 than improving your MCAT score from a 31 to a 35.

Take more classes. Get A's. Continue to get more patient exposure. Everything else on your application looks fine.

About the Ads

WeAreNotRobots

m.d. doing radiology
        10+ Year Member
        Nov 11, 2008
        u.s.a.
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Your biggest problem is your GPA -- both cum and science. Unfortunately, schools don't give a crap about how "rigorous" your school is, or how hard your major was; a 3.8 is a 3.8. So you should give some serious thought to getting those numbers up.

i think adcoms have a fair idea about grade inflation/rigor at particular undergrads, but as v-girl so eloquently put it, it won't make a significant difference.

also, your mcat doesn't really prove that you mastered the material. maybe if you got 37+, your argument might hold some weight.

Siverhideo1985

Jun 7, 2008
          1. Fellow [Any Field]
            no matter what your stats or MCAT, you don't stand a chance without clinical ECs

...but that's just my two cents

get some experience in the medical field...close patient contact! Even if you want to end up in research

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
            Apr 4, 2007
              Consider a year of unofficial post-bac classwork, getting straight As in upper-level science classes to get your BCPM GPA out of the basement. An MCAT of 34 will compensate for the low cGPA at less-selective schools, but once you get past the cut for numbers, adcomms will want to see about 1.5 years of clinical work and community service, which you won't have for awhile (and gaining this via hospital volunteering at a rate of 3-4 hours/week would be fine). If you apply this coming year, your application screams of a last minute decision to go into medicine, without any significant exposure to the field to base such a decision on.

That said, your sport and music activities show great teamwork and diverse interests. Your committee work might qualify for leadership, depending on what you did to lead. You have tutoring to list under teaching/mentoring. And your research experience is well above average.

The final thing you need to work on acquiring is shadowing experiences.

DCpremed4409

10+ Year Member
              Jan 5, 2009
              1. Pre-Medical
                I've been volunteering in pediatrics and ER areas of my local hospital going on 2 months now, and plan to continue at least until I submit everything (probably longer--it's a lot of fun)--that isn't enough?

I've enrolled in a distance ed class through the harvard extension school, and have been sending out emails about shadowing, but I'm working all week, and it's hard to find weekend doctors beyond the ER.

A random question: I'm considering applying for the HPSP scholarship with the military--anyone have ideas on how to find doctors in the military to approach about shadowing?

Thanks for the input so far! I appreciate it!

cyclin M

megaman
                10+ Year Member
                Nov 24, 2008
                Bunker
                1. Pre-Medical
                  no matter what your stats or MCAT, you don't stand a chance without clinical ECs

Sorry but this is plain wrong. I know 4 people who applied this year with ZERO hear that? ZERO clinical ECs but other ECs and they are already in med school.

Not everyone can get clinical ECs. On top of that "patient transport" is a BS EC and pretty much a worthless experience.

If you can get clinical ECs, good, if not don't sweat it, don't let people tell you you have NO CHANCE with out it.

The point of the clinical EC is to show that (a) you CARE ABOUT PEOPLE and (b) you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING INTO.

So any other ECs that can show these things is fine.

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
                  Apr 4, 2007
                    I know 4 people who applied this year with ZERO hear that? ZERO clinical ECs

If you can get clinical ECs, good, if not don't sweat it, don't let people tell you you have NO CHANCE with out it.
                    I agree: it's not impossible to get accepted without clinical experience. Some folks have posted here on SDN that they have done so. There are also posters with excellent numbers and no clinical experience that did not get accepted anywhere. To appeal to the greatest number of medical schools and increase chances of an acceptance, it is best to get clinical experience of a reasonable quantity and quality. The adcomm members who post on SDN regularly agree with this. It's best to have something to fill in for as many categories as possible on the AMCAS "Experience" section, because you probably will not know what is important for any given school you've applied to.

Yola

10+ Year Member
                    Jan 30, 2009
                    Joburg/Budapest
                      Hey guys,

So, I graduated in 2008 from a school with pretty rigorous academics with a cGPA at 3.3 and a science GPA at 3.2. 31R MCAT but I've since taught bio and gen chem so I'm retaking in April--so far I'm getting 33-34s on the practice tests. As for ECs, I did 4 years of a 2 season varsity sport, played in the marching band, was on my dorm committee, and tutored 10+ hours a week. I also did 1600+ hours of bench research in a cancer lab at my college's med school.

Now that I'm out of school, I'm working 60 hours a week (in a non-med field--in this economy I just needed a job), tutoring 5-10 hours on the side, and I've finally gotten the time to volunteer at a hospital--I do so 8 hours a week in the pediatric ICU and in the ER.

I was wondering if I could get y'alls opinion--am I competitive at all?

Thanks in advance!
                      My name is Yola I have done a pre-med course in Hungary and I didn't have any problems with passing to the the 1st year of the Medicine. Currently I am a student of the 1st year of medicine at the Semmiweis University of Budapest I would like to tell that this is a really good idea to do a work in hospital and after apply again. I was having this kind of traineeship during the summer after pre med course and really all what they teach you on the course starts to make sense I am really sure that you will manage :).

Here is the web page with the program for me was very useful
                      www.studiesineurope.com check it maybe it will be useful for you

Yola

Siverhideo1985

Jun 7, 2008
                      1. Fellow [Any Field]
                        I maintain my opinion that without any clinical ECs you don't have a chance.

How are you supposed to know what you are getting yourself into if you have never observed a doc, never spoke to a patient, never seen the inside of a hospital/ward/ambulance/doc's office?

What are you going to tell the interviewer when is asks you why medicine? Because it looked nice on paper? Because I helped out at a soup kitchen? Or read books to children? Or did research?

Not only for the sake of your application, but for your own sake, get to know the medical system, the patients, what medicine is all about. Pull a 24 hr volunteer shift at a hospital, watch a patient pass away in the ICU, see & smell all the liquids a body can come up with when it is sick, and most-of-all experience the awesome feeling that you get form working with these people and making things easier for them. This is something you can't read up on in magazines or by knowing the newest attempts at healthcare reform.

Without such experiences, you are willing to invest a decade of training, 150k plus of your money, and possibly thousands of dollars because you may have to reapply?

Maybe the statement "NO chance" is too strong, but every other part of your application has to pop! out at the adcoms if your stats aren't what they should be. And that includes clinical ECs!

I am really not trying to be an as* here, I am trying to save you from having to re-apply and re-apply and re-apply...basically, I am trying to save you from what I had to do.

Best of Luck!

mnbv4184

10+ Year Member
                        Jan 31, 2009
                        1. Medical Student
                          Try going to a post Bac one year masters program that is becoming very popular for getting into medical school. They have them at most universities with medical school. Apply to programs where you may want to go for medical school some even offer automatic acceptances with a certain GPA and MCAT score.

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.