Do you think looks matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
madga02 said:
i have to dissagree....
i know a girl who got in and most of us would define her as "ugly and fat"(no offence to anyone)....
i think that for some people it matters how you present yourself. Afterall you should represent the phylosophy behind medicine and look like a healthy individual who is taking care of him/her self....but having said that how does it relate to your abbility of being a good doc :confused:
I never could understand american process of admissions to the med school....wierd :rolleyes:

That's pretty rude!!!

wow!!! - sorry but I must say i have never called anyone "ugly and fat" (whether they were listening or not). --- I know you said "no offense" but I wonder if that makes it OK. (If you are wondering....my physique will allow me to call someone "ugly and fat" if I wanted to).

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, that is rude. I mean fat people are ugly period. No need to go overboard by mentioning what everybody already assumes.

But on the plus side, Jessica Alba!

rouge et noir said:
Yeah, that is rude. I mean fat people are ugly period. No need to go overboard by mentioning what everybody already assumes.

But on the plus side, Jessica Alba!

Uh oh, this thread's about to go even more downhill. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
GujjuNo1 said:
That's pretty rude!!!

wow!!! - sorry but I must say i have never called anyone "ugly and fat" (whether they were listening or not). --- I know you said "no offense" but I wonder if that makes it OK. (If you are wondering....my physique will allow me to call someone "ugly and fat" if I wanted to).

i do not think that you really understood what i wrote....
and i think that no matter what i've written you would still say it was rude...
does that mean i should sugercoat everything so it looks better...???
I was just stating the facts and called them by their name. I do not feel the need to try to find a better word for "fat" or "ugly". I was just trying to make a point that looks don't always matter and I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I think dilated is right. The interview can give you a hash mark in your plus column but it by no means is the final deciding factor. I think it is more likely to break you than make you. Every person interviewed is not initially standing on even ground so while it has the potential to add a point to your total it isn;t necessarily what makes you come out on top. So yeah, looks can help but they aren't solely getting you in. Remember, med schools have a keen interest in seeing the MOST qualified students come through their doors. They want to be able to tout the high pass rates of subsequent boards, etc.