Do you think med schools like a ton of apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azjoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perfer tons and tons of applicaitons, or do you think they would rather have specialized pre qualified apps? Nothing below 3.4 and 27 for example. I know that it must be a big money maker for them but also a huge problem. Sorting through 10,000 2.3 GPAs with 23 Mcat scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Azjoe said:
Perfer tons and tons of applicaitons, or do you think they would rather have specialized pre qualified apps? Nothing below 3.4 and 27 for example. I know that it must be a big money maker for them but also a huge problem. Sorting through 10,000 2.3 GPAs with 23 Mcat scores.

Most use some sort of a bulk screening function, but the preliminary screen is generally lower than you suggest. Also bear in mind that a 3.4 from someone coming straight out of undergrad might not mean the same thing as a nontrad who also has a 3.4 but his college GPA was lower a decade or two ago and has a more recent postbac or second BS that is a 4.0. Also note that a balanced 27 is a much better score than someone who got 6, 6, 15. Pure numbers can be deceptive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Azjoe said:

In Canada they have specialized pre-quals. They average out the GPAs and MCAT scores from the previous year's accepted applicants and use those as a cut off.
This can really suck if the group before you is very very smart. And the cutoffs go up and up each year.

Don't bother applying in Ontario if you have a GPA lower than 3.6 :( or to University of Toronto if you're below 3.7 (I think last years cut off was a 3.83 or something :( :( :( ).

seriously, in one hour what's so painful about paying an admin assistant $15 to screen and trash (let's say) 10 low-stats apps and dump $1000 in the bank?

i should start a "med school" with fine print that states minimum requirements of 45 mcat and 4.0 gpa. with the way some pre-meds seem to "hail mary" schools without much thought, i'm bound to cash in.

The do-it-yourself screening for secondary applications is a tax on those with more optimism than brains. That said, the real reason is not to miss out on the diamond in the rough: odd major, below average numbers but extraordinary life experience, world-view, communication skills, etc that aren't measured in numbers (and this is not code for URM). It provides a certain diversity (not URM type diversity but another kind) that you don't get when you cut by the numbers on the first go-round.

I knew a guy who was denied a secondary and had his advisor petition on his behalf for reconsideration. He got the secondary, and long story short, he was admitted and graduated AOA (med school honor society = top 10%) and matched very well.