Do you think my the LOR will be good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x10694

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well lets face it, we don't really know what they write in our LOR unless you don't waive your right. So is there way to tell that your professor would at least spend some time to write some good letter? My professors said they are pleased to do write the letter for me and they actually ask me to keep them updated if I get in or not. I do have good relationship with them and did well in their class. So what are the chances that they will actully write a letter that is longer than like ten sentences? I mean a good letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends more on the personality and writing skills of the professor than how well you know them. Some professors write eloquent, 2-page letters while others (who may love you) write 2 paragraphs. A professor may hit a busy streak and be saddled with 60 letters to write and, therefore, can't take the time to write you a great letter. A professor may break his leg and be stuck at home with nothing to do but write letters. Part of it is luck. Part of it depends on you choose your letter writers.

Something else you will discover later is that many of the older (ie - smarter) profs have pre-written letters they just fill in for each student.

One of my med school advisors told me that he had 3 different form LoRs: mediocre, good, and strong.