Do you think someone with a low GPA and acceptable DAT scores can get admitted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmental

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m a new dental school applicant (I submitted my application at the end of June). I was wondering what you guys honestly think are my chances of getting in to a dental school. Considering my low GPA and the fact that I’ve been on academic probation (‘cause my GPA fell to a 1.9 last quarter when I got a D+ in biochem, which I’m going to retake), I’m terrified I won’t get in (I applied to 21 out of desperation haha). I’m majoring in Microbiology, Immunology & Molecular Genetics, and minoring in French at UCLA. I have experience working at a dental clinic and I’ve participated in scientific research projects. Here are my stats:

GPA: Cumulative/BCP/Science/Non-Science (incl. quality points)
2.98/2.50/2.66/3.51

DAT: AA/SNS/PAT
22/21/25

If you think my chances are weak, do you have any advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

dmental said:
Hey everyone, I’m a new dental school applicant (I submitted my application at the end of June). I was wondering what you guys honestly think are my chances of getting in to a dental school. Considering my low GPA and the fact that I’ve been on academic probation (‘cause my GPA fell to a 1.9 last quarter when I got a D+ in biochem, which I’m going to retake), I’m terrified I won’t get in (I applied to 21 out of desperation haha). I’m majoring in Microbiology, Immunology & Molecular Genetics, and minoring in French at UCLA. I have experience working at a dental clinic and I’ve participated in scientific research projects. Here are my stats:

2.98/2.50/2.66/3.51

22/21/25

if you dont get in anywhere pursue a post bacc program. to tell you the truth your science gpa is horrible and i dont mean to be offensive but i am not sugar coating anything either.

dmental said:

2.98/2.50/2.66/3.51

22/21/25

your GPA is kinda low... way off the average.
Get some nice LORs and personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
dmental, it looks like ur tryin to do too much, and probably overloading every semester cuz of ur majors/minor. It's fine, if ur going into you senior year, then there is not much you can do about ur gpa. actually there is not much you can do even if u finished ur sophomore year. You don't have that good of a chance of gettin in this year i think, but it's worth the try cuz of ur DAT scores. but what u need to do is start taking grad courses and do really well.. by really well i mean get A's in all of them. this will establish a new gpa for you, ur "grad gpa" and if adcom's see a 4.0 there.. it'll show u have potentals and will help you significantly. you might have to delay goin to dental school maybe 2 years from now. but if u really want to become a dentist, 2 years is not really a big deal.

dmental said:

2.98/2.50/2.66/3.51

22/21/25

your dat's are solid. just choose a dental school with a lower avg gpa. applying to columbia, penn, UC's, public's. would be silly. But you should try this round. if you waited til AFTER grad school, you'll lose those solid dat scores. (esp the killer PAT) if you don't at least try, then you'll never KNOW if you coulda done it without wastein' two years.

do your research. choose your schools VERY wisely.

just give it a shot, anything could happen

dmental said:

2.98/2.50/2.66/3.51

22/21/25

It's worth a shot! I know a person who got into NYU with almost the same GPA and DAT.

Clovers said:
It's worth a shot! I know a person who got into NYU with almost the same GPA and DAT.

u know a person who got into NYU with a 2.6 science gpa? are you kidding?

Notoriousjae said:
u know a person who got into NYU with a 2.6 science gpa? are you kidding?

It was 2 years ago though!

honestly. save your money and don't apply until your cgpa is at least a 3.1/2 and your sci gpa is significantly higher. take more science classes and do well in them. your dat is wonderful and you have two years until they "expire," so within those two years improve your gpa.
i applied last year with:
3.19cgpa and 2.9scigpa
19/19/18
and i got ZERO interviews and acceptances.
i just wanted to give you an idea of the level of competition. my gpa is better this time around and i'm retaking the dat. fingers crossed, i hope i'll have a better shot this cycle. HOPEFULLY!

also, there is a thread for applicants with sub-3 gpas, check it out.

good luck and don't give up.

most schools have a 3.0 cutoff, research and find some schools that don't. its worth a try, but most likely you'll be applying next year too.

lovechild404 said:
honestly. save your money and don't apply until your cgpa is at least a 3.1/2 and your sci gpa is significantly higher. take more science classes and do well in them. your dat is wonderful and you have two years until they "expire," so within those two years improve your gpa.
i applied last year with:
3.19cgpa and 2.9scigpa
19/19/18
and i got ZERO interviews and acceptances.
i just wanted to give you an idea of the level of competition. my gpa is better this time around and i'm retaking the dat. fingers crossed, i hope i'll have a better shot this cycle. HOPEFULLY!

also, there is a thread for applicants with sub-3 gpas, check it out.

good luck and don't give up.

Dang, those GPA's are similar to mine...3.2 GPA and 3.1 Sci. I'm taking three additional science courses this semester to boost it up a bit, but I'll probably see a lot of rejections before I'm even able to send the schools my scores. Well, guess I should prepare to re-apply. LOL.

my suggestion to you is to take some upper level science courses to bump that science GPA up to at least a 3.0. A science GPA of 2.6 is unacceptable for dental schools because a large component of dental school curriculum is advanced level science courses, and if you can't handle college level science, how are you expected to handle dental school course load? You need to motivate yourself and bring your science GPA up or you will have very little chance of getting in.
good luck

If you show an upward trend of solid grades then i think you have a shot. I say apply. Your DAT scores are awesome.

perhaps unlikely, but like jesus said...nothing is impossible. say your prayers every night.

dmental said:

2.98/2.50/2.66/3.51

22/21/25

I would look for schools who place an emphasis on the DAT. One school that I can think of is UOP. Do you want to stay in california.. if not I would think some of the east coast private schools might give you some love. I believe your best answer will come from the horses mouth. Call schools that your interested in or call all 21 schools you applied to ask them what they think you should do.

hd

you better be a minority, cause otherwise you're screwed

caroochy said:
you better be a minority, cause otherwise you're screwed

what exactly are you implying?

There is a thread for the under 3.0 gpa club-use the search function. Very extensive guidance on what to do to get a better shot at dental school. I'd say all hope is not lost but you'll definitely need to make your entire package strong.

You might want to call the admissions office of a school you are interested in and ask if they have anyone who works with the low gpa crowd to see what advice you can get. If you apply this year and get rejected, call the admissions office and see if they will tell you what you can do for next year.

I suppose by minority, caroochy means a state state resident applying to a state school at a state school that takes some non-residents. Taxpayers always want their money to go into educating their own people.