Feb 10, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
wassup err1. hope everyones doing well. so i was wondering, now that step 1 is pass fail, does that take some importance off of the MCAT? Bc i heard MCAT is supposed to be the main predictor for Step scores but now what? Im sure theres more to this, so im wondering what yall think of my opinion

edit to clarify... Im wondering if the MCAT will be less important for adcoms bc Step 1 is P/F

Last edited:

drstranger

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2016
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I have heard No the MCAT won't go P/F anytime soon. Right now the best predictor of med school success is a combination of MCAT and GPA. Maybe in the next few years but if you are hoping for P/F MCAT in the next 5 years I highly doubt they will make that change before that time.
Source

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 10, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I have heard No the MCAT won't go P/F anytime soon. Right now the best predictor of med school success is a combination of MCAT and GPA. Maybe in the next few years but if you are hoping for P/F MCAT in the next 5 years I highly doubt they will make that change before that time.
Source
no no im not saying that MCAT will go P/F

Will the MCAT hold less weight for adcoms during med school apps

About the Ads
May 27, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I highly doubt it. I actually have a crazy theory that it might start holding more weight. I'd be curious to see what the breakdown of grades/gpas has been since the start of COVID. It seems like for many grades have gone up due to the transition to online classes. And if that's the case I could see the MCAT being more of a factor to differentiate COVID grade inflation. Again, this just conjecture and is slightly tangential to your original question.

Reactions: 2 users
Feb 10, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I highly doubt it. I actually have a crazy theory that it might start holding more weight. I'd be curious to see what the breakdown of grades/gpas has been since the start of COVID. It seems like for many grades have gone up due to the transition to online classes. And if that's the case I could see the MCAT being more of a factor to differentiate COVID grade inflation. Again, this just conjecture and is slightly tangential to your original question.
altho ik what ur saying, covid is only a short term thing. this wont be the case over the next few years. Also, i heard a while ago that Covid MCAT scores were also up, maybe due to the shorter exam time? Maybe because there are so many resources like UWorld and Anki? who knows haha but I hope it doesnt. Its the only thing going for me haha

Kumorebi

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
No. MCAT going P/F schools might start looking at where you graduated from to gauge difficulty. Then where you go to college starts to matter. SAT next victim?

Reactions: 1 user

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Source
Thanks for that source, @drstranger

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
no no im not saying that MCAT will go P/F

Will the MCAT hold less weight for adcoms during med school apps
No. The main difference in selecting medical students over medical residents is one of applicant pool size and the differing weight ofet the factors in consideration.

In medical student selection, you have an:
-extremely large pool of applicants
-being looked at for rather broad characteristics of academic ability and traits for being a physician
-with a large swath of majors and background
-from a wide variety of colleges
-with vast differences in rigor
-major differences even within and across majors
-with no standardization of grading or academic evaluation
-extremely uneven and wide variation in letters of evaluations that emphasis only the student
-extremely wide variation of professors and evaluators a large web of connections make personal connections much less important
-this large pool of applicants going into a large class (100+) makes this process a large group dynamic
All this makes the MCAT the single standard measure across all this variation

In medical resident selection
-you have a much smaller pool of applicants
-with extremely well-defined and specific requirements of knowledge, ability and teamwork
-from a very narrow and well-defined curriculum
-from a small array of medical schools with closely similar educational missions
-with a similar standards of rigor closely overseen by accrediting bodies
-with similar grading in that all students must show achievement in virtually the same curriculum
-with evaluations from a very similar pool of evaluators (all with MD and board certification in narrow, well defined fields where reputation of the evaluator is as important as the student. That is, an evaluator will not recommend students to a residency that isnt is a good fit, They need to preserve the reputation themselves in this process
-Personal connections and networking are nearly as important as any other factors
-this small pool of very similar applicants into a very small number of residents being evaluated and recommended by people of extremely similar backgrounds makes this process a small group dynamic
All this makes the STEP I less important as a factor

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Med Ed

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status
  1. Attending Physician
wassup err1. hope everyones doing well. so i was wondering, now that step 1 is pass fail, does that take some importance off of the MCAT? Bc i heard MCAT is supposed to be the main predictor for Step scores but now what? Im sure theres more to this, so im wondering what yall think of my opinion

edit to clarify... Im wondering if the MCAT will be less important for adcoms bc Step 1 is P/F

According to the methodology used by US News & World Report, 13% of each school's rank is determined by median MCAT score of the matriculating class.

Unless this changes there is no chance whatsoever that the MCAT will be broadly de-emphasized.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student

You heard VERY wrong.

Preclinical GPAs are very good predictors of Boards performance. MCAT is a weak predictor, at best.

Stop engaging in premed thinking.

Deltasidearm

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2018
I'm currently evaluating my perception of GPA/MCAT and Board performance. @Goro, could you direct me to some published studies that you trust on these topics?
Literally just use google scholar and you will find several publications on medical student performance and predictors.

• Love

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads