Do you think this will count for...or against me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepharmwsu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my first year of college I slacked off...REALLY SLACKED OFF, to say the very least. However, I have buckled down and brought my grades up significantly, but I am having serious doubts about whether or not my effort will pay off in regards to what admissions boards will think...

Now, I have had some people tell me that I am down right screwed. That regardless of my GPA now, my GPA then shows that I'm not pharmacy school material. I have also had many people tell me that it will give me an edge, that because I have done poorly in easy classes and succeeded in the "difficult" ones, it shows my interest and determination to get into the program.

Who is giving me BS? Will a scar on my transcipt ruin my chances?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a type of question that should be addressed to admissions of each school you wish to apply to. Some schools will count it against you, but there are many that will not. You have to call each school to get a fuller picture.

you're screwed if your GPA doesn;t meet their minimum, say 2.75 for most schools.

I'm on the same boat as you. I screwed up in the past and got Ds and Cs but my GPA is still within minimum at 3.0, regardless of the screw up.

This is the reason why schools set the minimum at wayyy below the competitve GPA, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice...

My GPA at my present school is a 3.7. The catch is that I transferred to this school, and when I did, they wiped out my previous GPA and gave me a clean slate.

The ADCOM is going to take my GPA from ALL schools attended, correct?

I'm starting to panic...I'm not applying to schools until next year though. (I'll keep telling myself that too!)

Thanks for the advice...

My GPA at my present school is a 3.7. The catch is that I transferred to this school, and when I did, they wiped out my previous GPA and gave me a clean slate.

The ADCOM is going to take my GPA from ALL schools attended, correct?

I'm starting to panic...I'm not applying to schools until next year though. (I'll keep telling myself that too!)

Yeah, they'll take your transcripts from all your schools and use that for your gpa......And here's my 2 cents about your situation....
Have you considered retaking the classes that you did bad in? At most schools, that will help your GPA. I would study hard for the PCAT, do well on it, and get involved in some EC's. Get pharmacy experience. Not everybody in pharm school has a 3.9 and a 90+ PCAT. Just my thoughts....