Do you think you'll meet your wife/husband in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hangten

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For single pre-meds? Do you think you'll meet your future husband/wife in med school? Do you prefer someone in another field? Disregard looks, personality, bank account, etc. Who's hoping that med school has other perks like meeting their McDreamy?

Members don't see this ad.

I just don't want a flood of "it depends" answer because surely it really does depend on a lot of factors. So, my question, how do you see the dating scene in med school or hope to see. If you're single law2doc, would you like to meet you're wife/husband there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, if they're hot.

hangten said:
I just don't want a flood of "it depends" answer because surely it really does depend on a lot of factors.

As you said, "(it) depend(s) on a lot of factors." Therefore, it depends.

hangten said:
So, my question, how do you see the dating scene in med school or hope to see.

The dating scene is almost non-existent. Unless you go on a blind date or drunkenly hook-up with one of your classmates, there won't be much there for you.

hangten said:
For single pre-meds? Do you think you'll meet your future husband/wife in med school? Do you prefer someone in another field? Disregard looks, personality, bank account, etc. Who's hoping that med school has other perks like meeting their McDreamy?

To be honest, I was sort of thinking about this myself. But I'm worried I'll be overwhelmed with work. I sort of am attracted to people whom I know and work with after many long and ardous hours. I'm not someone to go to a bar and find that other person.

the idea of dating someone who you have every class with is kind of overwhelming...but i think it's inevitable! at one point, 20% of the 2008 class at cornell was dating someone else in the class! i personally don't care whether my future husband is also a doctor, as long as it's not the primary thing we have in common!

i don't know about anyone else, but i was definitely checking out current and prospective students at second look weekends...and i was pleasantly surprised! ;)

You could just be a career person till your 40 then get a trophy wife/husband. alot of people seem to be happy with this route

somewhere2010 said:
the idea of dating someone who you have every class with is kind of overwhelming...but i think it's inevitable! at one point, 20% of the 2008 class at cornell was dating someone else in the class! i personally don't care whether my future husband is also a doctor, as long as it's not the primary thing we have in common!

i don't know about anyone else, but i was definitely checking out current and prospective students at second look weekends...and i was pleasantly surprised! ;)
if this is the case, then it will suck if you end up being one of the few single cornell students.

Its seems like fellow med-students are a pretty good pool of people to find a potential snuggle-buddy/bf/gf/future spouse or whatever....

I mean, everyone's pretty smart, you already have several things in common (friends classes career interests compassion etc..) plus its not like you have the free time to be meeting people other places, whereas there's 100-200 people right there doing what you do everyday, why not?

I'll def be looking for a girl in med school, tho I'm not sure who'll stay home w/ our kids??? but thats another topic....

Law2Doc said:
??? :confused: either you are really not picky or you are hoping your future spouse won't be. :laugh:

Please don't be fresh with me, I am not rude to you. That was a valid question, If you don't understand how it was phrased or don't like the thread at all, don't post. No reason to be rude. Also, I have no respect for posters that pick on people for petty mistakes like spelling or grammatical errors. If you're going to reply, reply properly. Thank you.

FenderHM said:
I'll def be looking for a girl in med school, tho I'm not sure who'll stay home w/ our kids??? but thats another topic....

This is why I have already made the decision to note date any girl I meet in medical school.

Most women who make it to medical school have very strong feministic views, while I have very strong traditional values. So as you can see, we probably wouldn't get along well :D

MDGuy07 said:
This is why I have already made the decision to note date any girl I meet in medical school.

Most women who make it to medical school have very strong feministic views, while I have very strong traditional values. So as you can see, we probably wouldn't get along well :D

I'm sure there are plenty of women who would love to be the wife of a doc... personally I like strong-willed intelligent women. And I really think its possible to split the cooking/cleaning/child-raising duties.

Members don't see this ad :)
hangten said:

From what I hear most of the hook ups are out of sexual frustration. For 4 years you are basically a prisoner to your books and studying. Can you imagine the tension!! For the guys - all the girls all of a sudden starts looking good . And I bet its the same for the ladies. But there are stil a hand full of people who are able to make a relationship work with their class mates.

FenderHM said:
I'm sure there are plenty of women who would love to be the wife of a doc... personally I like strong-willed intelligent women. And I really think its possible to split the cooking/cleaning/child-raising duties.

Every man wants different things I guess. I'm looking for a traditional wife who stays at home, works hard at home and keeps the home together type of wife.

I like outgoing women myself, I don't like strong-willed intelligent women personally.

Yeah, I'm hoping to find hubby material in med school. It's not because my classmates are pretty much guaranteed to be smart or have the same interests. I think, if you've done it right, choosing a life in medicine means you've really done some self analysis and know what you want and what it takes to get there. Basically, I'd think you pretty much have to have yourself figured out and I like that. A lot. That's something I'd get on board with. :love:

I sure hope I find someone in med school. The application process is so strenuous that the adcoms have done half the work for me.

Orth2006 said:
From what I hear most of the hook ups are out of sexual frustration. For 4 years you are basically a prisoner to your books and studying. Can you imagine the tension!! For the guys - all the girls all of a sudden starts looking good . And I bet its the same for the ladies. But there are stil a hand full of people who are able to make a relationship work with their class mates.

Everyone is making it seem like you will be trapped within the doors of the school.

Most of us will be living in a big city where the fish are plenty (male and female).

I don't see there being a need to date someone who knows everyone you know (since your class will probably be sub-200).

What if you break up?

The rumors will fly and people will take sides. Have fun dealing with that AND the USMLE.

FenderHM said:

:love: :love: :love:

hangten said:
No. I'm retired from the marriage game. But I'll happily attend all of your weddings instead. :cool:

Pkboi24 said:
Everyone is making it seem like you will be trapped within the doors of the school.

Most of us will be living in a big city where the fish are plenty (male and female).

I don't see there being a need to date someone who knows everyone you know (since your class will probably be sub-200).

What if you break up?

The rumors will fly and people will take sides. Have fun dealing with that AND the USMLE.
Try explaining to a woman that you have 1 day off a week (during clinical years) and all you want to do on that day is sleep. Only another med student would understand.

QofQuimica said:
No. I'm retired from the marriage game. But I'll happily attend all of your weddings instead. :cool:

Q, can you explain a little bit more about your background. Thanks.

BrettBatchelor said:
Try explaining to a woman that you have 1 day off a week (during clinical years) and all you want to do on that day is sleep. Only another med student would understand.

exactly my point, ;)

chaeymaey said:
I sure hope I find someone in med school. The application process is so strenuous that the adcoms have done half the work for me.

Wow, never thought of the adcoms from that angle - but yeah they selected a fairly good crowd of people.

So..how does one go about dating and finding their significant other in med school? :)

I might meet my husband while I'm in med school, but I don't think he'll be in med school. I'll tell you where he better not be, though: in law school or politics.

CatsandCradles said:
To be honest, I was sort of thinking about this myself. But I'm worried I'll be overwhelmed with work. I sort of am attracted to people whom I know and work with after many long and ardous hours. I'm not someone to go to a bar and find that other person.
Are you a girl? Just curious--I've heard some girls say the opposite.

BlinkyCat said:
So..how does one go about dating and finding their significant other in med school? :)

lol significant other.

God, I love political correctness!

hangten said:
Q, can you explain a little bit more about your background. Thanks.
I got engaged to my ex at age 21, which was in retrospect a very, very stupid thing to do. I think the main reason I wanted to marry him was because everyone (especially my parents) was begging me NOT to do it. (Kids, if all of your friends and family hate the love of your life, listen to them; it may well actually be YOU who is the idiot, not all of them. ;) ) I was engaged a second time when I was 26, but we broke off the engagement. I thought about it for a while when Bachelor #3 asked, but ultimately said no. After that I finally wised up and told Bachelor #4 no from the getgo. I haven't had a new proposal in a while, so the saga ends there. But I figure that's enough to last me a lifetime. :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
I got engaged to my ex at age 21, which was in retrospect a very, very stupid thing to do. I think the main reason I wanted to marry him was because everyone (especially my parents) was begging me NOT to do it. (Kids, if all of your friends and family hate the love of your life, listen to them; it may well actually be YOU who is the idiot, not all of them. ;) ) I was engaged a second time when I was 26, but we broke off the engagement. I thought about it for a while when Bachelor #3 asked, but ultimately said no. After that I finally wised up and told Bachelor #4 no from the getgo. I haven't had a new proposal in a while, so the saga ends there. But I figure that's enough to last me a lifetime. :laugh:
I really liked this one saying: love like you've never been hurt before.

I wish I'll listen to my own advice. At least you've gotten proposals, that's 3 steps ahead of me.

PomPom said:

I wish I'll listen to my own advice. At least you've gotten proposals, that's 3 steps ahead of me.

Last edited:
Marry me PomPom! I know I dont know you, but you have no guys proposing to you and I have no girls to propose to, sounds like a match made in heaven to me....

Reactions: 1 user
I think meeting your spouse in med school could work, provided that both people are understanding of the both school and of each other. Being a med student/doctor implies that you have a certain set of good qualities (eg compassion, intelligence), but could it get competitive? For me personally, it would be definitely good to meet my future husband in med school, but it doesn't have to happen that way.

FenderHM said:
Marry me PomPom! I know I dont know you, but you have no guys proposing to you and I have no girls to propose to, sounds like a match made in heaven to me....
Let's go cry together. :)

PomPom said:

One day I'm going to write a book, I swear it. But the thing is, people wouldn't believe that half of this stuff really happened. :smuggrin:

All joking aside, it is very important to know yourself well enough to understand what it is that you really want and expect from a relationship. Any serious relationship (let alone a marriage) is going to require a ton of commitment and effort on your part (and theirs) to maintain it. At this point anyway, I have to be honest and say that I really don't want to do what it takes to successfully be part of a marriage. Bachelor #4 is a fantastic guy (we're still very close friends), but that doesn't change the fact that I just don't want to be married to ANYONE, period.

BTW, ladies, my experience is that if you come across as being desperate to get married, that turns a lot of guys off.

QofQuimica said:
BTW, ladies, my experience is that if you come across as being desperate to get married, that turns a lot of guys off.

agree. :thumbup:

QofQuimica said:
One day I'm going to write a book, I swear it. But the thing is, people wouldn't believe that half of this stuff really happened. :smuggrin:

All joking aside, it is very important to know yourself well enough to understand what it is that you really want and expect from a relationship. Any serious relationship (let alone a marriage) is going to require a ton of commitment and effort on your part (and theirs) to maintain it. At this point anyway, I have to be honest and say that I really don't want to do what it takes to successfully be part of a marriage. Bachelor #4 is a fantastic guy (we're still very close friends), but that doesn't change the fact that I just don't want to be married to ANYONE, period.

Dating is too complicated. I wish I could just spawn.

QofQuimica said:

I think playing games, ie acting one way when you really feel another, is a bigger turn off... I think if you're serious about finding someone for a real-deal could go all the way relationship, there's nothing wrong with admitting that to yourself and to someone else when the time is right (not 1st date probably) if it turns the guy off, then he's not right anyway....trust me plenty of guys are out there looking for girls like y'all

i've often found myself fantasizing about meeting the perfect guy in med school. we'd study together, and not really get anything done ;) . go out for midnight coffee runs right before tests. and we'd hold hands and stare at each other lovingly, while elbow deep in some poor cadaver's chest cavity... :laugh: ... no seriously.

FenderHM said:
Its seems like fellow med-students are a pretty good pool of people to find a potential snuggle-buddy/bf/gf/future spouse or whatever....

I mean, everyone's pretty smart, you already have several things in common (friends classes career interests compassion etc..) plus its not like you have the free time to be meeting people other places, whereas there's 100-200 people right there doing what you do everyday, why not?

That's exactly what was running through my mind...that's one reason I might want to date someone outside of medicine, so that maybe my husband will have a less demanding job where hopefully he can at least share household responsibilities. Of course I am pretty open to outsourcing as well...

kirexhana said:
i've often found myself fantasizing about meeting the perfect guy in med school. we'd study together, and not really get anything done ;) . go out for midnight coffee runs right before tests. and we'd hold hands and stare at each other lovingly, while elbow deep in some poor cadaver's chest cavity... :laugh: ... no seriously.
Ah, that's sweet. In a nerdy kind of way. :love:

i sure hope not. face it, we are all psychotic to even want to go to medical school. i'm not sure i could work with any girl who is as psychotic as i am.

Although, there have been a handful of pre-med girls that were really hot and driven that I :love: :love: :love: so we'll see whether any of them end up in my class ;)

for the most part we are young enough to not worry about getting married for a while. Our goals are very important. If something good shows up I will pursue it, otherwise I'll be getting myself through med school and making friends. I have a bf right now, but we might not last if I end up going away for med school.

Marriage? No thanks. There's been too much relationship drama in my life already.

All I need is some strong scotch whisky and a loyal dog.