Its not all hopeless. I graduated this year from UF and found a full time job still in Florida (retail). 60.62$ an hour and my loans were only 79,000 at graduation. (tuition was 99,000 and didn't ask for any more than tuition and had money saved up before school and worked all throughout and paid off as much as I could while in school) I am living in Southwest Florida by all my family, don't have 200k in loans and have plenty of money at the end of the month. Life is good and I don't regret my decision at all. Its not gloom for all.....

But with all that said.... Most of the time it is not about how good you are, its all about who you know these days..... I had a good source at CVS Walgreens + Walmart. I chose the best offer.
Did you go to a three or four year school? Also, have you worked as a pharmacy technician before you went to pharmacy school?

nikgurl64

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Did you go to a three or four year school? Also, have you worked as a pharmacy technician before you went to pharmacy school?
I went to a 4 year school (UF), it was about 24-25k per year. I would say about 7-10% of my graduating class (2018) didn't have a job or residency upon graduation. About half the class went on to residency and then publix was the biggest chain that took a big chunk of students. Yes I worked as a pharmacy tech before pharmacy school which is how I got an easy in as an intern. I was only expecting and WILLING to get a part time position after graduation. I was given a list of open positions throughout the US with the company I was working with, about 100 locations, but none in Florida, and I realllllly wanted to stay in FL. But in my case, like i said, its all about who you know bc I had some good resources within the company and I reached out to a couple of them and was surprisingly offered a full time salary position :)

May 28, 2018
^Its about who you know nowadays. I know someone that was initially offered a complete different state, but wanted to stay local because of his wife’s employment. He knew the right people and got sent an offer for his district.

Reactions: BC_89

Saisri_PharmStdnt

Class of 2023
May 18, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Status
Pharmacy Student
Networking is definitely important these days. Connections can help, especially when looking beyond school. Networking can begin while in school, while working before school (or during) if you're in the pharmacy setting. It should definitely be happening while you are an intern in school. The harder you work and the better impression you leave, they may remember that if you come back to look for a job later on.

Reactions: Modest_anteater

lollygagger

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
This is the most negative thread ever...
I'm in my fourth and final year of pharmacy school. Yes the debt is there, and it's overwhelming but I already have a full time retail job waiting for me with a solid pay where I can pay off that debt within 5-6 years. Everyone in my class who works at a retail chain has a full-time job waiting for them after graduation. I haven't spoken to the people who work hospital jobs though so I can't say, but I've heard of people getting staff positions as well.
I don't regret pursuing pharmacy at all. It's a rewarding and admirable career and I feel the skies the limit with knowledge in drugs.
And if you are pre-pharmacy, I recommend getting involved with organizations, do poster presentations for local/national gatherings, and do well in school and you can pursue residency (or industry if you want to, not my cup of tea though) which opens the doors for even more opportunities. It's a saturated field yes, which is why they are making hospital positions more competitive. But you can certainly get a job upon graduation lol.

Reactions: Macaronique11

Doctorishere12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 18, 2018
I'm in my fourth and final year of pharmacy school. Yes the debt is there, and it's overwhelming but I already have a full time retail job waiting for me with a solid pay where I can pay off that debt within 5-6 years. Everyone in my class who works at a retail chain has a full-time job waiting for them after graduation. I haven't spoken to the people who work hospital jobs though so I can't say, but I've heard of people getting staff positions as well.
I don't regret pursuing pharmacy at all. It's a rewarding and admirable career and I feel the skies the limit with knowledge in drugs.
And if you are pre-pharmacy, I recommend getting involved with organizations, do poster presentations for local/national gatherings, and do well in school and you can pursue residency (or industry if you want to, not my cup of tea though) which opens the doors for even more opportunities. It's a saturated field yes, which is why they are making hospital positions more competitive. But you can certainly get a job upon graduation lol.
which state you get offered? it depends on where you work

Aug 27, 2018
Which pharm school are you attending?

Which pharmacy school are you going to?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

lollygagger

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
^^ To the people who asked, I live and attend pharmacy school in a major city (population over 1 million) and there are three pharmacy schools just in my city alone. I live in a very saturated city but I sealed a job after graduation, and so did many of my friends. In fact during my rotations at a hospital today I was pleasantly surprised when I ran into a friend who graduated from my school last May and is now pharmacist there. There are jobs!

Timbo

7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
^^ To the people who asked, I live and attend pharmacy school in a major city (population over 1 million) and there are three pharmacy schools just in my city alone. I live in a very saturated city but I sealed a job after graduation, and so did many of my friends. In fact during my rotations at a hospital today I was pleasantly surprised when I ran into a friend who graduated from my school last May and is now pharmacist there. There are jobs!
Very cool. Have they been affected by the lower pay rates and hours cut that we've been hearing about?

Balls on the Line

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jan 30, 2019
Status
Non-Student
I live in a very saturated city but I sealed a job after graduation, and so did many of my friends. In fact during my rotations at a hospital today I was pleasantly surprised when I ran into a friend who graduated from my school last May and is now pharmacist there. There are jobs!

Last edited:

Farmer83

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
As a pharmacy graduate of 2012, I thought my 3 months of unemployment after graduating was tough. I spent my first 3 months after graduation folding t-shirts in a warehouse for $15 an hour. You do what you gotta do to make things work. A former co-worker said she was unemployed for a 1 year after graduating in 2015.

There are jobs out there, if you are willing to move to more rural areas. I had been trying for 5 years to get a government pharmacist job and finally got one in 2017. The benefits are pretty good and depending on whether you're working at a VA/IHS/DoD/DHA, you could be working in place where being overwhelmingly busy everyday at work isn't a bother any more. I have heard from employed military pharmacists that the benefit of getting a 120K stipend for working a few years is not worth, especially because 120K is heavily taxed and you'll receive about 60K after its all said and done.

As for all you guys with 100K in debt, you have it easier than a lot of us that went to more expensive schools. I graduated with 250K in debt and I have maybe paid 30K down so far. But I also felt like rather than being tied down to paying my student debt faster, I did want my own place and bought a house. I think many of my classmates did after graduation, mind you the cost of living in the South is much lower than the rest of the country. I've heard figures of student loan debt of greater than 300K! Now if you have 200-300K+ in student loans, I recommend finding work in a non-profit or government institution, this will qualify you for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program, and your loans will be forgiven in 10 years.

People do ask if I would recommend pharmacy to someone interested in it. Honestly if you're in it for the money, there are more lucrative bachelors programs, like software engineering that will probably have you earning more than pharmacists now. I know that pharmacy was a good choice for me, some days are more rewarding than others. Otherwise, if you're in pre-pharmacy, I would seriously consider a different major if you can't get into a school where you would have less than 100K in student loans.

destinedDPT

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
This is very depressing... one of my family members graduated pharmacy school few years back and she is now fighting for hours at a part time job in NYC. Good luck to all I hope everything goes well...

• Love

Modest_anteater

Walgreens @ Austin, Texas.
Removed
Nov 12, 2017
Dallas, Texas
As a pharmacy graduate of 2012, I thought my 3 months of unemployment after graduating was tough. I spent my first 3 months after graduation folding t-shirts in a warehouse for $15 an hour. You do what you gotta do to make things work. A former co-worker said she was unemployed for a 1 year after graduating in 2015.

There are jobs out there, if you are willing to move to more rural areas. I had been trying for 5 years to get a government pharmacist job and finally got one in 2017. The benefits are pretty good and depending on whether you're working at a VA/IHS/DoD/DHA, you could be working in place where being overwhelmingly busy everyday at work isn't a bother any more. I have heard from employed military pharmacists that the benefit of getting a 120K stipend for working a few years is not worth, especially because 120K is heavily taxed and you'll receive about 60K after its all said and done.

As for all you guys with 100K in debt, you have it easier than a lot of us that went to more expensive schools. I graduated with 250K in debt and I have maybe paid 30K down so far. But I also felt like rather than being tied down to paying my student debt faster, I did want my own place and bought a house. I think many of my classmates did after graduation, mind you the cost of living in the South is much lower than the rest of the country. I've heard figures of student loan debt of greater than 300K! Now if you have 200-300K+ in student loans, I recommend finding work in a non-profit or government institution, this will qualify you for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program, and your loans will be forgiven in 10 years.

People do ask if I would recommend pharmacy to someone interested in it. Honestly if you're in it for the money, there are more lucrative bachelors programs, like software engineering that will probably have you earning more than pharmacists now. I know that pharmacy was a good choice for me, some days are more rewarding than others. Otherwise, if you're in pre-pharmacy, I would seriously consider a different major if you can't get into a school where you would have less than 100K in student loans.
To be fair folding Tshirts for 15 USD an hour seems like a really good and chill job for the pay.

Reactions: wreagle96

BC_89

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
I have heard from employed military pharmacists that the benefit of getting a 120K stipend for working a few years is not worth, especially because 120K is heavily taxed and you'll receive about 60K after its all said and done.
Military life is definitely not worth it for many, but I wouldn’t include the finances and benefit package as a reason that’s not worth it.

It’s true the 120k loan forgiveness is ~ 90k after taxes, but keep in mind your also paying pennies for health insurance that normally could run you anywhere from $350 as a single person to $850 for min premiums on a family.

Also free housing based on zip code. In one area I had a freshly minted pharmacist recieve $1900 monthly tax free housing allowance but pocketed the difference on a $900 apartment.

With normal base pay plus housing allowance AND food allowance with health insurance covered, you can be competitive with civilians on pay and throw your extra pocketed money on student loans. Plus after minimum obligation of 3 years, you get top priority as a VA hospital pharmacist applicant and roll-over your pto time.

To each their own, but I’d done 20+ years as a military pharmacist if they didn’t medically retire me early.

Farcus

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2007
My Bed
Status
Pharmacist
I'm glad you can give me your anecdotal evidence. Oh wait ANECDOTAL. Have you seen the job projection by the government?

rxkrafted

5+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
That's great bud but did you survey your entire class? It is not CERTAIN you get jobs upon graduation. Sure you say everyone in your class who works retail positions as interns got a job after... But there are many who did not work at all during school.

Pharmacy is a Scam

Probationary Status
Jan 9, 2019
That's great bud but did you survey your entire class? It is not CERTAIN you get jobs upon graduation. Sure you say everyone in your class who works retail positions as interns got a job after... But there are many who did not work at all during school.
Sampling bias at its finest. This also applies to post-graduation job surveys that schools send out to their students to get residency match rates or alumni to get job placement rates - there is heavy nonresponse bias here because you are much more likely to respond to those surveys if you have secured a job or residency vs. whiffing.

Reactions: mentos

Myst1

5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2013
This forum is absolutely beautiful! I've been practicing over 8 years in a hospital setting... I feel like a raisin! This forum elevates me and it agrees with everything I felt and noticed over the past 7 years. I try to tell the suckers (aka pharmacy techs who have children wanting to be a pharmacist) that this is NOT a good field. They won't listen! Every pharmacist on the other hand - none of their children are becoming pharmacist - I remember when I first graduated all excited like a child I asked "why no pharmacist" - their response typically can be summarized as "have you ever seen a happy pharmacist".

Oh well, at least I'm doing my due diligence - hopefully I'll have a happier time in my next life since I'm building up my karma.

Mar 27, 2019
Germany/Colorado
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Interesting read. I have been in pharmacy since 2012 as a tech, I can say that there are probably less jobs out there than there were when I started, but everyplace I've worked while on active duty and not have been in dire need for staff. VA, always understaffed, Inpatient, always understaffed. I want to do a residency and go after stuff I love, critical care.

That said, think that it's all about who you know like many other fields. I can think of 5-6 contacts in my book I'll call first as I graduate if they don't call me first. Having vast experience as a tech I think will be my saving grace, I've probably been on 50-75 active codes, equally as many traumas. I'm not as worried, but we'll see when I get there.

giga

U.S. Public Health Service
10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
On the land and the sea for humanity
Status
Pharmacist
Interesting read. I have been in pharmacy since 2012 as a tech, I can say that there are probably less jobs out there than there were when I started, but everyplace I've worked while on active duty and not have been in dire need for staff. VA, always understaffed, Inpatient, always understaffed. I want to do a residency and go after stuff I love, critical care.

That said, think that it's all about who you know like many other fields. I can think of 5-6 contacts in my book I'll call first as I graduate if they don't call me first. Having vast experience as a tech I think will be my saving grace, I've probably been on 50-75 active codes, equally as many traumas. I'm not as worried, but we'll see when I get there.
All the vacancies you see in the fed is not a result of shortage of pharmacists, its a result of an extremely dysfunctional HR system (and/or management). Although if you're a vet you'll have an easier time making it through.

Mar 27, 2019
Germany/Colorado
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
This I know, Fed system is jacked. I'm working for them now, I like the idea of continuing my federal time but on the civ side, the places i've worked were also always hiring. I dunno. Maybe I just have been lucky where to look.

Reactions: giga

BC_89

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
This I know, Fed system is jacked. I'm working for them now, I like the idea of continuing my federal time but on the civ side, the places i've worked were also always hiring. I dunno. Maybe I just have been lucky where to look.
Ditto

Reactions: vet_doc92
Mar 27, 2019
Germany/Colorado
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I got super lucky and medically retired, so my time gets to count again as a civ. Now at ~7ish years its hard to turn back. Min retirement age would be 55 for me and you need 10 years. May as well get my way back in with my friends for a bit lol

BC_89

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
I got super lucky and medically retired, so my time gets to count again as a civ. Now at ~7ish years its hard to turn back. Min retirement age would be 55 for me and you need 10 years. May as well get my way back in with my friends for a bit lol
This is my plan as well. Medically retired, will get a higher PTO and a good buy-back with more years counting toward a “second” pension with the VA if things go as they are.

On top of it, I’ve worked specifically with the pharmacy in the VA (DOD) as an NCO. Much rather work as a civilian in that setting ;)

OldPhotography

5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2013
Florida
Status
Pharmacy Student
2019 upcoming grad in a saturated area. Have a full-time retail offer with a great company - happy with the benefits and salary. Also have a per diem offer with a hospital I've been interning at. Full time retail and per diem hospital has been my goal for a while and I knew residency wasn't for me. Work hard, do well, and network through pharmacy school. I wouldn't have received my hospital job without my network. If you're expecting to cruise through pharmacy school and not work, you probably won't have a job after graduation. Most of my classmates that worked hard and networked have full-time job offers after graduation and others matched to a residency. The ones that I dreaded seeing in group projects are the ones struggling to find jobs.

May 28, 2018
2019 upcoming grad in a saturated area. Have a full-time retail offer with a great company - happy with the benefits and salary. Also have a per diem offer with a hospital I've been interning at. Full time retail and per diem hospital has been my goal for a while and I knew residency wasn't for me. Work hard, do well, and network through pharmacy school. I wouldn't have received my hospital job without my network. If you're expecting to cruise through pharmacy school and not work, you probably won't have a job after graduation. Most of my classmates that worked hard and networked have full-time job offers after graduation and others matched to a residency. The ones that I dreaded seeing in group projects are the ones struggling to find jobs.
And the ones who didn’t work.

Mar 27, 2019
Germany/Colorado
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I intend to work as much as I can handle. I've been doing 40-60 hour weeks and doing school full time for a little over 2 years and then 60 hours on Active Duty with 1/2 time.

In my essay I said i'd slow down on working, just not how much :p

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status
Pharmacist
I have heard from employed military pharmacists that the benefit of getting a 120K stipend for working a few years is not worth, especially because 120K is heavily taxed and you'll receive about 60K after its all said and done.
This is completely incorrect. NOBODY pays a 50% tax rate, and certainly not at 120K. 120K is a 24% tax bracket....and that is assuming you have no deductions (which you most likely will, your individual deductions, your 401-K or equivalent deductions, your health insurance and/or HSA deductions, etc.)

Sine Cura

10 seconds or less
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
The idea of your typical pharmacy students thinking they have a future in pharmacy is like bin Salman planning for Saudi Arabia's post oil future--a complete joke (there is no survivable future but what else are you gonna do?) but I'll enjoy events as they unfold

Reactions: projektreverb
Mar 27, 2019
Germany/Colorado
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
It's funny how everyone is 100% set on the entire future (next 40-50 years for new grads) of pharmacy being all doom and gloom

lolololol

May 30, 2018
The idea of your typical pharmacy students thinking they have a future in pharmacy is like bin Salman planning for Saudi Arabia's post oil future--a complete joke (there is no survivable future but what else are you gonna do?) but I'll enjoy events as they unfold
If I was Bin Salman planning for a post oil future I would take some glass blowing classes.. This is what is missing in pharmacy, someone who has the brains and the balls to adapt to change and keep creating. Do you even know why I would take glass blowing classes?

hieun20

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
How much are they paying when you graduate?

hieun20

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
W
As a 2018 grad i completely agree with this post. If you are not hard core passionate about the profession, i recommend you choose something else. It's getting worse out there and job security is something you have to worry about in many fields. I was and am still passionate and love pharmacy; however, knowing what i know now, i would've thought twice about it honestly and perhaps done something else. I just got licensed a a month and a half ago and so far I am only working part time/as needed at an independent and that's only because I have known the owner for years. I interned at a Walgreens during school but the area I'm in is so saturated so they basically had to let me go
what area do you live that is saturated?

Sine Cura

10 seconds or less
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
If I was Bin Salman planning for a post oil future I would take some glass blowing classes.. This is what is missing in pharmacy, someone who has the brains and the balls to adapt to change and keep creating. Do you even know why I would take glass blowing classes?
Because glass blowing will sustain the current Saudi welfare state as Saudia Arabia becomes a net oil importer (inb4 lolsolar)

• Haha

Modest_anteater

Removed
Nov 12, 2017
Dallas, Texas
That job won't last forever. Also very doubtful you can completely pay off your debt in 5-6 years. I predict you will burnout by 2024 but it may be before that. Here are some more realistic options for you.
  1. income-Based Repayment (IBR)
  2. Income-Contingent Repayment (ICR)
  3. Pay As You Earn (PAYE)
  4. Revised Pay As You Earn (REPAYE)

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new job, especially if it's at the Red Devil.

Reactions: wreagle96

Modest_anteater

Removed
Nov 12, 2017
Dallas, Texas
The "Pharma Games".... the ABC's to securing that pharma job

Imagine it's 2025. The only way to get a job is to complete the life of a currently working pharmacist and take their position. Every pharmD is packing firearms. It's the wild west on steroid. Imagining things is fun. :)

Modest_anteater

Removed
Nov 12, 2017
Dallas, Texas
I have heard directly from a pharmacy dean that something like ~50 of the ~110 students went into residency in the 2019 class at his university. He was telling me how proud he was of the "clinical" class. Then we both shared a honest, candid, secret, hearty laugh. God have mercy on our financial souls. As long as i can keep my vehicle i'll be happy. I don't wanna go back to tent living guys. Too many bugs/rats. My goal is to get a pharmacy job paying 25 USD an hour. I have zero interviews, near zero experience, near zero friends, no future wife potential and I graduate this year in a month. I have over 150,000 USD in debt with a highish interest rate. Not sure if this is going to have a happy ending. I already feel my mental health issues creeping back.

BC_89

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
I have heard directly from a pharmacy dean that something like ~50 of the ~110 students went into residency in the 2019 class at his university. He was telling me how proud he was of the "clinical" class. Then we both shared a honest, candid, secret, hearty laugh. God have mercy on our financial souls. As long as i can keep my vehicle i'll be happy. I don't wanna go back to tent living guys. Too many bugs/rats. My goal is to get a pharmacy job paying 25 USD an hour. I have zero interviews, near zero experience, near zero friends, no future wife potential and I graduate this year in a month. I have over 150,000 USD in debt with a highish interest rate. Not sure if this is going to have a happy ending. I already feel my mental health issues creeping back.
I would hope once you gain an interview that you wouldn't open up the conversation at any point on stating you'll work for $25/hr...

With your past discussions in the pharmacy forum, you don't seem picky to move where you need to move. Have you considered working in underserved areas or even Indian Health Services? Not many people wanting to fight for those spots plus they offer 20k loan forgiveness every year you stay with them (unless this policy has recently changed). Food for thought.

firework

10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
As far as I know Indian health service positions are highly sought after, hard to get in, they don’t hire newbies.

I would hope once you gain an interview that you wouldn't open up the conversation at any point on stating you'll work for $25/hr...

With your past discussions in the pharmacy forum, you don't seem picky to move where you need to move. Have you considered working in underserved areas or even Indian Health Services? Not many people wanting to fight for those spots plus they offer 20k loan forgiveness every year you stay with them (unless this policy has recently changed). Food for thought.

Reactions: wreagle96 and BC_89

Modest_anteater

Removed
Nov 12, 2017
Dallas, Texas

Thanks. I have considered IHS and Alaska. However I want the opportunity to meet my future wife which means getting a job in a urban area where there are many single females I can attempt to court.

Modest_anteater

Removed
Nov 12, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Jun 29, 2018
Thanks. I have considered IHS and Alaska. However I want the opportunity to meet my future wife which means getting a job in a urban area where there are many single females I can attempt to court.
Perhaps you should consider focusing your first year working as a pharmacist on building your ground.
Aggressively making loan payments, saving up, and getting experience as a pharmacist.
(You living in a car and all, I'm sure you'd have no problem living frugally).
Then seek a job in more favorable urban areas and single females you can attempt to court.

I haven't dated anyone since 2017 and my right hand has been my best friend, despite graduating and working as a pharmacist since 2018.
But I feel comfortable where I am and taking a year (or two) to sort my financial situation is better than acting like I make 6 figures.
Patience young Padawan, focus on passing NAPLEX/law and landing a job.