Do you wear crocs when you are in scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blesbok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Come on people, fess up.

Members don't see this ad.

I have NEVER worn Crocs EVER! They are disgusting.

However, these are cute. :p
AAAAAlCESooAAAAAADkX8w.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I wear my Crocs with my scrubs. I tried to hate them. I tried to resist. Then came my first 30 hour day. I caved, and life has been good ever since.

And the mesh on the top of the tennis shoes that most people wear is going to help? ;)

Anytime I am around blood, bodily fluids, needles and such I wear closed toe (no vent holes or anything) leather sneakers.

I bought the crocs with the vents along the periphery but none on the top of the toe just in case of spillage. I once wore them to the hospital 3 days in a row for 16 hrs/day and they were still comfortable (and I was standing almost the whole time as well). Sometimes I just wear my new balance shoes if I know I'm not going to be there long, but otherwise Crocs are very good for long shifts

One pair of bright red Terps crocs just for surgery :D

So I'm a proud alumnus, what can I say?

I think they're vile. They're so ugly it's not even funny. It would be a crime to spend money on those things but if someone gave me a pair I might try them on.

Members don't see this ad :)
One pair of bright red Terps crocs just for surgery :D

So I'm a proud alumnus, what can I say?
So then I guess I'll need a pair of orange crocs (GO HOOS). What can I say ;)

Honestly I think they are HIDEOUS, however my vanity may have to take a blow to allow for some comfort :-\

I would never wear them, ever. What did you take your favorite pair of athletic shoes out back and shoot them?

ohhhhhhh those were great, i used them for like half of 3rd year and totally wore them out. :laugh: they had a tendency to get very hot on me though if i was walking across the medical center or something.
I originally bought them as scrub shoes for surgery, and now I wear them even when I go out :)

I've always thought they were ******ed. Had a girl at my tank wear them in anatomy lab, but she was very cute so I forgave her.

ohhhhhhh those were great, i used them for like half of 3rd year and totally wore them out. :laugh: they had a tendency to get very hot on me though if i was walking across the medical center or something.

crocs, or anything close to these style or shape shoes are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo uglyyyyyyyyyyy and I would neveerrrrrr wear these anywhere,,,I MEAN IT!!!! a good solid sneaker will protect you from fluids and support your ankles and feet after long hrs standing,,,those crocs can easily twist your ankle and provide 0 support

After working in the OR now for about 3.5 years, I've got to say Crocs are ubiquitous. Everyone either wears or at least owns a pair and most people accept they are cheap, super comfortable, and if you get the ones without holes more or less water/blood resistant.

Seriously when you consider that crocs cost like 20-30 dollars and some of the other common shoes worn in surgery like clogs are often 80-120 dollars, you realize crocs are a great deal.

Recently however I bought a pair of Clarks, they are water resistant boots with shoe laces and good traction. They were on sale and only cost about 50 bucks. Plus they could be used for hiking and fishing and other stuff since they are basically just good boots. Although they don't match with scrubs perfectly lol.

Is there some special reason I'm not supposed to?

There is the opinion that crocs are horrible looking and make you look goofy. Though when you're wearing scrubs you already look pretty goofy anyway and when 60-70% of the other people wearing scrubs are wearing crocs it isn't such a fashion liability.

Clogs (Dansko is a major brand) can look professional and appropriate for the hospital.

Crocs (plastic clogs with holes in them) do not look professional. I would not wear them outside the OR, even with scrubs on call night. I have heard many attendings lament the thought of medical students and residents walking around in crocs because of their unprofessional appearance.

Clogs (Dansko is a major brand) can look professional and appropriate for the hospital.

Crocs (plastic clogs with holes in them) do not look professional. I would not wear them outside the OR, even with scrubs on call night. I have heard many attendings lament the thought of medical students and residents walking around in crocs because of their unprofessional appearance.

I suppose that is something worth considering. However what is the difference in wearing tennis shoes and scrubs vs wearing crocs and scrubs? Are tennis shoes any more or less professional than crocs? ( I am assuming many people have in the past worn tennis shoes with scrubs)

Obviously crocs should never be worn with anything other than scrubs though, but I think everyone agrees on that point.

I disagree with you on that point. We had an attending wear dark brown crocs with khaki pants once and I thought it was hot.

I since have bought navy crocs, and while I think they look sort of stupid with my scrubs, I do like the effect with long pants.

I also should note that I have a pair of black dansko clogs, but I think my crocs are cuter.

But then again, I'm an EM person... and we're a little cooky as it is, I suppose....

My one gripe is that the crocs, being rubber (or rubber-ish), sometimes catch when they scuff against the hospital floor, whereupon I nearly topple over myself, head first.

Dansko Professional

They also have clogs, but I like the ones with the back. Great arch support, not too hot, made to stand in. Buy them a little large so they don't get tight when your feet swell, and get some good medium cushioned socks.

You'll never look back at athletic shoes!

I do...whats worse is that I wear the ones with all the holes on 'em all around...one doesn't stop to think that perhaps while you are treating a patients ulcer pouring the saline solution some of it might spill on the ground and potentially on your foot!! or perhaps that while you are in the delivery room encouraging the lovely patient to push, when all the amniotic fluid shoots out some of it might soak your lovely exposed feet! :barf:

I think i might have to get the closed ones...BUT they're uber comfy! Not hot at all! trust me hospitals here have no air conditioning, at least most of them...

Crocs are ugly and that's kinda why I like them, actually, I liked them more before they were ubiquitous.

The bottom line is they are comfortable as hell

I wear them for their original purpose, that is, when I need to do some yard work or gardening. Nowhere else.

They are very useful as a pair of shoes to keep by my back door. I slip them on in the morning sometimes and drink my coffee while standing outside. Very relaxing.

I know some girls with the Mary Jane stayle crocs, and they are much less ugly. Narrower, non-wedge shaped toe and two straps.

Dansko Professional

They also have clogs, but I like the ones with the back. Great arch support, not too hot, made to stand in. Buy them a little large so they don't get tight when your feet swell, and get some good medium cushioned socks.

Wearing a pair right now. I lament summers when it is to hot to wear them all the time, but I tend to convert to flip flops (when out of the ED, obviously).

I love the dansko's. I admit it. I drank the dansko Koolaid

Piping in about Merrell's...they're so worth it. :)

I second this.

Merrell's are awesome.

MRL-W99807-08-07.psd.fpx

I wear these with orthotics. VERY comfortable.

While this may not be kosher for hard-core OR's, I would occasionally slip my foot out of my shoe during surgery to flex my hamstrings. Heheh, attendings never knew though the circulating nurse and anesthetist did chuckle at me.

I wore crocs during anatomy lab, and I thought they were really comfy. Then my first night overnight call on OB/gyn, I wore them, and my feet hurt so bad.

Then I started wearing my Danskos on call.

I've been looking into those Dansco's for a while. They seem to be the better alternative to those hideous croc's. Croc's hurt my feet after a while.

Stupid question alert:

Do people wear crocs because of the completely closed top (no laces/seams) structure? So that if you spill stuff on them, no harm done to your feet?

I can't fathom any other reason why people would wear them.

Stupid question alert:

Do people wear crocs because of the completely closed top (no laces/seams) structure? So that if you spill stuff on them, no harm done to your feet?

they're comfy AND cheap!

Stupid question alert:

Technically, they're worse than sneakers for a hospital setting since your heel is completely exposed and most of the time the tops have holes in them.

crocs.jpg

People get them because they're cheap and comfy. Thats about it.

Technically, they're worse than sneakers for a hospital setting since your heel is completely exposed and most of the time the tops have holes in them.

crocs.jpg

People get them because they're cheap and comfy. Thats about it.

Crocs with holes in them are not allowed in the OR I work at. Sometimes it is harder to find the ones without holes but, they are out there. As I said above the reasons for buying crocs are:
1) Cheap (20-30 bucks)
2) Super comfortable
3) Pretty water resistant, also can be easily cleaned with wipes

You have 2 choices, and 2 choices alone, on what shoes to wear with scrubs. It depends only on how much you're walking vs. standing:

walking all the time <-------------------> standing all the time

Running shoes <-----------------------------> Danskos

Somewhere in between, you're hosed. You're gonna be uncomfortable.

(you'll note that Crocs are not an option, unless you want to look like you gained 50 lbs)

Crocs are great especially for long call nights. I can slip in and out of them in a pinch and they are comfortable.

Plus they are cheap and easy to clean.

The one downside I've noticed is that they are not so great when you need to run or walk fast.

You have 2 choices, and 2 choices alone, on what shoes to wear with scrubs. It depends only on how much you're walking vs. standing:

(you'll note that Crocs are not an option, unless you want to look like you gained 50 lbs)

Totally agree. I stopped wearing my Danskos for a lot of rounding on ortho when we had to run all over the hospital, so I'd wear my tennis shoes for rounding, then I'd switch to Danskos before going into the OR.

Gen surg we rounded at a leisurely pace and my residents liked using the elevator instead of the stairs.

I always feel like I'm going to trip anytime I'm running down stairs while wearing Danskos.

Not everybody does well with Danskos. I HATE them. They're extremely uncomfortable and make my feet sore.

For me, Merrell's were the best compromise between comfort and support (and they're cheap). I'd wear sneakers too, except we have a dress code as medical students.

Wearing a pair right now. I lament summers when it is to hot to wear them all the time, but I tend to convert to flip flops (when out of the ED, obviously).

I love the dansko's. I admit it. I drank the dansko Koolaid

http://www.dansko.com/flash.aspx#detail,Margrete,Stapled%20Clog,2
http://www.dansko.com/flash.aspx#detail,Merrie,Stapled Clog,2
http://www.dansko.com/flash.aspx#detail,Susana,Sausalito,2

There are so many cute danskos for summer!!! I got the Merries, bringing my Dansko total to 3. I need a brown pair now--thinking about getting it in either professional or Marcelle. Decisions, decisions!

I second this.

Merrell's are awesome.

MRL-W99807-08-07.psd.fpx

I wear these with orthotics. VERY comfortable.

While this may not be kosher for hard-core OR's, I would occasionally slip my foot out of my shoe during surgery to flex my hamstrings. Heheh, attendings never knew though the circulating nurse and anesthetist did chuckle at me.

Wow. What is the deal with medical schools nowadays when people think
they are a rebel for stretching their hamstrings during a surgery. You have
to do it when the attending isnt looking? If the patients health is not
compromised from you flexing your darn legs, why is it rebelious to do so?