Quantcast

Do your undergraduate marks matter after matriculating into med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyradis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will my undergraduate marks ever become important for anything once I've matriculated into med?

The reason I ask is that I have a few marks that I think are lower than they really should be - however, it is not low enough to affect my acceptance. If there's a reasonable possibility that my undergraduate GPA will matter for something in the future, I'll probably contest the marks, whereas if it will never come up again, I'll leave it alone.

Thanks in advance!

anfleisch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The GPA is held up to the highest standards for med admissions, probably as compared to just about anything else. So if your few bad marks won't affect med admissions, what kind of admissions will it effect?

Gifted Hands

Reaction score
Will my undergraduate marks ever become important for anything once I've matriculated into med?

The reason I ask is that I have a few marks that I think are lower than they really should be - however, it is not low enough to affect my acceptance. If there's a reasonable possibility that my undergraduate GPA will matter for something in the future, I'll probably contest the marks, whereas if it will never come up again, I'll leave it alone.

Thanks in advance!
No

Do med schools ask to look at your high school grades? Nope, they are irrelevant. So you can assume residencies have the same view about your undergrad gpa.

halekulani

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

just keep your grades in B range and you wont have to worry
it's not like it's hard to get a B

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The GPA itself probably won't come up again but GPA related awards like Latin Honors and what not are always good to put on your resume.

Cyradis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It might come up if you apply for scholarships or research fellowships while in med school.

This is more of what I had in mind. P.S. I'm sorry if there was a bit of misunderstanding - I've already been accepted and what I meant is that my current marks don't endanger that acceptance, but could potentially be better nevertheless.

reflex

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is more of what I had in mind. P.S. I'm sorry if there was a bit of misunderstanding - I've already been accepted and what I meant is that my current marks don't endanger that acceptance, but could potentially be better nevertheless.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing too, such as research scholarships for the summer and stuff like that.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering the same thing too, such as research scholarships for the summer and stuff like that.

I applied to a couple school and national/state research grants. None of them asked for my undergraduate GPA, but I did have room to put down GPA based awards.

thesauce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a couple school and national/state research grants. None of them asked for my undergraduate GPA, but I did have room to put down GPA based awards.

Howard Hughes Cloister program asked for it. A couple others too, if I remember correctly. My undergrad GPA was also annotated in my deans letter for these programs, scholarships, and residency apps.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I put Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa on my CV but do not mention my undergrad gpa.

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Yes, if you pull C/D's in your current class, your acceptance can be pulled.

bamtuba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No

Do med schools ask to look at your high school grades? Nope, they are irrelevant. So you can assume residencies have the same view about your undergrad gpa.

Actually, WashU does ask for your HS GPA.

So, if you want to go to WashU at any point in your career, I would make sure to have your undergrad GPA, HS GPA, and birth weight up to par if you want to be a member of the all-might stats school that is Wash U.

Otherwise you'll be fine.

:)