doable schedule???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im trying to get my schedule straightened out for Fall 08, and I was just wondering how bad you guys think this schedule will be?

O Chem 1 + Lab
Physics 1 + Lab
Genetics & Molecular Biology + Lab
Comparative Neurobiology

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Im trying to get my schedule straightened out for Fall 08, and I was just wondering how bad you guys think this schedule will be?

O Chem 1 + Lab
Physics 1 + Lab
Comparative Neurobiology

This definitely seems doable. The labs will hurt, but if you have a good work ethic, it should not be too difficult. It only seems like slightly more than a normal load. Good luck.

Genetics & molecular are thrown together as one course? Physics I is not bad if you are decent at math. The comparative neuro could be okay, or it could be a real pain. What level is it? If it's a crossover w/graduate course, it could be a strain if you don't already have the molecular under your belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
this semester i took Ochem 1 + lab, Genetics, and Physics 1 + lab. It was tough, I had to study a lot every week to keep up with all of the reading, notes, et al. The labs were also a bit treacherous - just ate a lot of time in class and preparing reports, if you are trying to volunteer as well and/or work all of which I struggled through - it is doable if you stay on task 85% of your free time. I didn't take a neuro class like you are planning to and I can't imagine adding more class work to what I was doing. But, I was working about 20 hours a week so if you aren't I would say that it would be feasible. Additionally if you are shooting for the stars merely to do it, I would advise against it. As has been said many times before on this forum, this is a marathon not a sprint, and it would be much better to do really well in two or three classes then mediocre in four tough ones, not that I don't doubt you have the ability, just that any person no matter how skilled or bright will have to work very hard in some or all of those classes to get an A. - hope it helps - good luck

sure its doable but is there a reason you are tryign to fit all of that in one semester? may regret it if you dont end up doing so well and you realize you could have spaced it out more. on the other hand you know what you are capable of doing and if you do well then youll b happy you did it. good luck either way! :)

I agree with the above poster. That seems like a tough load. I thought ochem, physics, and precal was a decent amount of work to be done. Not anything too tough at all but next semester I'm taking ochem 2, physics 2, and calculus. I think that'll be pretty tough. Adding another class on top of that would be even tougher. Good luck.

O Chem 1 + Lab
Physics 1 + Lab
Comparative Neurobiology

Tough but definitely doable. I functional really well with too much on my plate, and I had a semester with 3 labs and wound up on the Distinguished Dean's List, so I wish you the best of luck.

Why overwork yourself? You're going to find yourself skimming physics and ochem and not really learning the material...and that doesn't bode well for the MCAT. I'm always amazed how people try to cram in so much into a term...when there is no reason to.

One quarter I took ochem, physics, and biochem and it sucked. Felt like I wasn't learning as much...was constantly feeling behind. I think two lab sciences at a time is quite enough.

That sounds awful. I'm honestly not sure its doable if you want to remain healthy and (somewhat) happy. You might end up sacrificing the grade for one class to do well in the others. Labs suck up a lot of time.

Thanks for responding guys, but it is necessary for me to take this schedule if I want to take the MCAT next year. Comparative neuro is crosslisted as a graduate level course but I know the professor so it shouldn't be too bad, I am just nervous about Ochem and Physics.

Yea I was wondering the same thing? Why not lighten the load and just focus like hell on ochem and physics? That's really the best way to study for the MCAT in your stage of the game.

Doable, at least I did something similar but instead of the neurobi, I had physiology. Are you planning on holding down a job at this time? I was able to not work (at least not much) during this time . . .

I had the following one semester during my sophomore year in college:

O-chem + lab
Modern physics (300 level physics course) + lab
Calculus 3
400 level history course
Spanish 1
Tutored math and physics 6 hours per week

I was busy but managed just fine. This sounds somewhat similar to your load. If you don't have many other outside commitments (mine included playing video games and going to movies) you should be ok.

I agree with some of the other people on this post - why put yourself under that much stress if you aren't going to do it right? I am not sure how you work best, but perhaps if you're overloaded, you work better.....if that's the case, go for it and then maybe drop something that isn't working before the drop deadline, but I really think you could go w/o the Comparitive Neurobio unless it's a personal interest of yours...stay on the safe side and do well in the handful of classes that you can give your full attention to....

lighten the load by dropping the neurobiology class. If you're doing it because it interests you, then you'll still find it interesting a few semesters down the road. If you're doing it because you want to be a more competitive applicant, then you'll be a much more competitive applicant without the potential sub-par grades you risk by overextending yourself. Is it doable? That schedule PLUS a class is probably doable. Is it recommended? Heeeeeell no.

O Chem 1 + Lab
Physics 1 + Lab
Comparative Neurobiology

i had a schedule very similar to this. had advanced ochem + lab, physics +lab, advanced microbiology + lab, and some random sociology and seminar classes.

WORST SEMESTER OF MY LIFE--ALMOST FAILED OCHEM......please--lighten your load.