Doctor Calling Admissions Office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the neurosurgeon I did research/shadowing with this summer said he would be willing to call the schools I want to apply to.

This ever happened to anyone else? Is this really helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

So the neurosurgeon I did research/shadowing with this summer said he would be willing to call the schools I want to apply to.

He'd better be on first-name terms with whoever he's calling. Are we talking about Sanjay Gupta calling?

I think it'd be better to channel his willingness to discuss your candidacy into a recommendation letter. It's much more solid evidence of his support for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
He'd better be on first-name terms with whoever he's calling. Are we talking about Sanjay Gupta calling?

So he shouldn't just call all of the schools I am applying to?

EDIT: He is a pretty well connected guy, so I figure he would only call places where he might know someone. Just wondering though. I took my MCAT recently, and after I get my scores back, I will have a better picture of where I will apply.

He already said he would write me a strong LOR.

haha, and no, its not Sanjay Gupta, although my parents know his parents...

He already said he would write me a strong LOR.

haha, and no, its not Sanjay Gupta, although my parents know his parents...

I don't think this will have any benefit. If anything it may just turn them off if they don't know him very well.

What number would he have to call for the call to help you? I doubt the person who immediately picks up on the other end will be someone who can directly influence your application.

How would something like that ever turn them off?

What number would he have to call for the call to help you? I doubt the person who immediately picks up on the other end will be someone who can directly influence your application.

No idea. I just met with him a few days ago for the last time for the summer. I finished my second year. He asked me when I was applying, told me that he would write me a good LOR, and said he would be willing to make a few calls for me. haha, I guess I really don't know what that means either.

No idea. I just met with him a few days ago for the last time for the summer. I finished my second year. He asked me when I was applying, told me that he would write me a good LOR, and said he would be willing to make a few calls for me. haha, I guess I really don't know what that means either.
if hes well connected and knows people in charge sure it cant hurt. But if hes just some random dude and he calls like duke...and duke is like who the **** is this random MD calling us...its meaningless and may turn them off. People on SDN like ot think this stuff doesnt help, but it can in certain cases...some people are very well respected or very well connected to certain schools. Some schools are also more willing to listen to these things or legacy type deals...think ivys or USC etc etc...If you want him to call and he is on a 1st name basis with the dean or committee members (or if hes a committee member himself) then why not? I know a few people where this worked for at USC...all accepted. Ive known committee members where they have told me stuff like this helps in rare cases...but the guy better have good connections.

Personally I wouldnt really do this unless it was something likes hes literally on the committe and has a lot of influence somehow.

I have had professors before that said they would call _______ school if I wanted to go their. Because they were an Alumni and they knew somebody...

I would think if they asked you for the number to say thanks but no thanks. Just ask him who he knows?

unless his BFF is the dean of admissions, calling seems obnoxious. He's better off writing a glowing letter and providing contact info if they'd like to call him for more info

This can backfire in a huge way. If this doctor truly wants to help you, he/she should write a strong letter of recommendation. When physicians call me (on behalf of an applicant), I don't generally take the calls. If the person calling has something compelling to say about an applicant, they can say it in a letter which is always welcome. A phone call creates a very poor impression in terms of the applicant. If you are not otherwise a strong candidate for admission, a phone call will put you in the rejection pile pretty quickly.

You're going to have to define well-connected. If I were best buddies with the Director of NIH, his phone call would get me into almost any medical school in the world. The conversation would go like this:

Admissions - Harvale Med Admissions.
Director - Director speaking, Dean of Admissions, please.
*transferred*
Dean - Dean speaking.
Director - Hi, Dean!
Dean - Hi, Director!
Director - Compass.
Dean - OK! I'll let him in.
3 weeks later - COMPASS HAS BEEN ACCEPTED TO HARVALE.

For the rest of us, there's normal applications.

So, yes, if the dean + neuro dude went to same med school, heck yeah. Otherwise, it may look bad...

He is a smart guy, so I am pretty sure that if he were to call anyone, he would only do so if he knew someone there. I figure he might know the adcom personally where he did his residency or med school (both public schools in other states), but I thought it most cases, it might come down to him calling a neurosurgeon at another institution, which after that the neurosurgeon might call the adcom at his/her respective school and put in a good word.

I got the point though. I certainly won't ask him to call every school I am applying to. I will let him know where I am applying, and if it seems as though he might be able to have some pull in some schools, why not, right?

Also, I am only going to apply to schools where I think I might have a chance.

He is a smart guy, so I am pretty sure that if he were to call anyone, he would only do so if he knew someone there. I figure he might know the adcom personally where he did his residency or med school (both public schools in other states), but I thought it most cases, it might come down to him calling a neurosurgeon at another institution, which after that the neurosurgeon might call the adcom at his/her respective school and put in a good word.

I got the point though. I certainly won't ask him to call every school I am applying to. I will let him know where I am applying, and if it seems as though he might be able to have some pull in some schools, why not, right?

Also, I am only going to apply to schools where I think I might have a chance.

Favors at schools where his friends work at or where he actually went to. Ask him to do only those. Friend -> friend recommendations work better than Friend -> random person recommendations.