Doctor came and said something a little odd to our school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAAWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
He said

"I want you all to understand, you are NOT entering a profession. You are simply entering a community service."

Then he basically demonized physicians expecting to live a "decent" lifestyle...

so much for presenting things from a moderate point of view lmao

Members don't see this ad.

Asshats like him ruin the profession for everyone else and allow unionized NPs and PAs to encroach on physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
Love it.

Check out my response to that idea here.

Asshats like him ruin the profession for everyone else and allow unionized NPs and PAs to encroach on physicians.

:thumbup:

Seriously. I hope one of you students raised your hand to speak, stood up, and said to him in a nice, loud, confident voice: "Screw you."

Dr. Cox says a similar thing on the first day of "medical school" in Scrubs. Maybe that is where he got his material from.

Maybe I'm missing something...does your school have some sort of clause that states you must assimilate and agree with all opinions given by guest speakers? Does your school have an anti-first amendment clause?

Thank god asshats like the OP don't run the country, otherwise we'd all be demonized for disagreeing with him/her.

Maybe I'm missing something...does your school have some sort of clause that states you must assimilate and agree with all opinions given by guest speakers? Does your school have an anti-first amendment clause?

Thank god asshats like the OP don't run the country, otherwise we'd all be demonized for disagreeing with him/her.

hmmm it's funny how the only speakers at our school are blatently liberal...

and to above poster, posts like yours are why 99% of med students despise people on SDN.

and its one thing to hold optional discussions or w/e on the topic...but to include such lectures as part of class?? Ridiculous to be paying for progressive infomercials...hell I don't wanna hear conservative doctors persuade me either.

I pay 30k a yr to go to learn medicine...not have someone tell me how to live my life

and SDN is the only place in the world where people say the word "asshat"

Seriously what is up with people here lmao...

Members don't see this ad :)
and its one thing to hold optional discussions or w/e on the topic...but to include such lectures as part of class?? Ridiculous to be paying for progressive infomercials...hell I don't wanna hear conservative doctors persuade me either.

I pay 30k a yr to go to learn medicine...not have someone tell me how to live my life

Was it was during a class, or an optional lecture which I'm sure you attended to get the free lunch?

Hell, I'm guilty of it. I'll even sit through the AMA's little ego-trip, self-serving tripe if it means I get a free Chick-fil-A sandwich. I'm not above that.

And if it was during a class...get over it. Professors aren't bound by any sort of required teaching plan. I've had professors lecture on what they felt were interesting topics (usually their published work) which isn't even going to show up on their exams, let alone the USMLE I or II. It's the nature of the beast. It doesn't hurt you in any way, suck it up, and move on.

hmmm it's funny how the only speakers at our school are blatently liberal...

and to above poster, posts like yours are why 99% of med students despise people on SDN.

Oh, go cry me a river. If you can't handle the fact that colleagues might not agree with your worldview, you're going to have a tough time working with others. Just wait until you meet your first charge nurse. She'll show you how much your opinion matters.

Love it.

seelee,

I just shed a tear from the sheer joy that your blog elicited in me.

I might make it a habit of reading that everyday (not really, but you know what I mean).

Love it.

Good response, hope you at least retorted the admissions officer.

And since when did Texas become so feel-goody?

The next time someone tells me medicine is a calling, I'll let them know that Goldman Sachs was doing God's work too, only doctors give a 99% discount for it.

He said

"I want you all to understand, you are NOT entering a profession. You are simply entering a community service."

Then he basically demonized physicians expecting to live a "decent" lifestyle...

so much for presenting things from a moderate point of view lmao

Register a complaint with the Dean of Curriculum. Request (demand) a response. Post both the complaint and the response on here so that it may be disseminated. The only way to combat a problem is to bring it into the light -- and these social engineering asshats (I too learned the word here) constitute a problem.... albeit a reflection of the larger trend of the intellectual's influence on 'society'.

Good response, hope you at least retorted the admissions officer.

And since when did Texas become so feel-goody?

The next time someone tells me medicine is a calling, I'll let them know that Goldman Sachs was doing God's work too, only doctors give a 99% discount for it.

To be fair, a good many of my classmates have similar sentiments as myself. And to answer your question, no I didn't respond to her. First, it wasn't the time or the place (not in front of HS students) and secondly, our school really harps on professionalism (another pet peeve of mine) which essentially translates to "anything you do that we don't particularly like, yet don't have a rule against". Students at my school have been put on academic probation for being "unprofessional". I am almost certain that any attempt to refute her claims would have been met with swift retribution from on-high, and as principled as I am, I still have a family to support and will not risk having my career affected because I offended someone who has a degree in "communications".

Besides, I can do more to change the system from within than without right?

I love it when people have this preconceived notion thinking they have the right to dictate how much I should earn. That's totally awesome.

I love it when people have this preconceived notion thinking they have the right to dictate how much I should earn. That's totally awesome.

You realize that everyone's salary is dictated by someone else, right? *except for entrepreneurs

You realize that everyone's salary is dictated by someone else, right? *except for entrepreneurs

I'd prefer that it's dictated by the market and the demand for my services.

Take a person who does road construction for instance. When applying for the job, they agree upon a rate for pay. If the employee is dissatisfied with the given rate, he can refuse employment. Let's say that some person who is a road construction worker feels they deserve more money. If this is truly the case, they should go out there and find the job they believe will actually make them more money, otherwise, they're flapping their gums. So the person who is dictating their pay as you suggest is not really dictating their pay...they're simply agreeing on the wage rate that the market bears.

To suggest some person at the top is arbitrarily picking out numbers for wages is absurd and shows little understanding of how these types of business concepts actually work.

Take a person who does road construction for instance. When applying for the job, they agree upon a rate for pay. If the employee is dissatisfied with the given rate, he can refuse employment. Let's say that some person who is a road construction worker feels they deserve more money. If this is truly the case, they should go out there and find the job they believe will actually make them more money, otherwise, they're flapping their gums. So the person who is dictating their pay as you suggest is not really dictating their pay...they're simply agreeing on the wage rate that the market bears.

To suggest some person at the top is arbitrarily picking out numbers for wages is absurd and shows little understanding of how these types of business concepts actually work.
I'm hardly arguing for the idea that some authoritarian figure is arbitrarily determining prices and costs - that would be ludicrous. I understand the market principle, and it sets the foundation for much of my world view. My point was simply a response to your disdain that your income potential isn't entirely dictated by yourself.

But on the topic of medicine specifically, I don't think you can expect it to ever function like a free market - because it simply can't be. In a free market, there exists competition to maintain quality and ultimately drive down costs. The mere fact that the law limits the number of medical providers in the US, and that there is no way to practice western medicine outside of this system, there is essentially no competition within the health care market. Random people can't simply read some medical textbooks and decide to practice medicine, and there aren't random medical schools being accredited by a variety of different accreditation councils. However, if this were to happen, eventually you would expect the cream to rise to the top as the public can start employing brand recognition. However, the interim of sub-standard care would be intolerable.
So, in such a system, you can't ever expect your services to be of market value, because there are no alternatives. You provide a necessary service within society, therefore prices would have to be dictated by some mechanism outside of the subjectivity of the provider. A good analogy would be if the law only allowed GM to manufacture cars, and GM only manufacturers enough cars to perfectly saturate a market. In such a scenario, it would be inconceivable to allow GM to dictate their own prices in a "free market" driven by demand.

I wonder if people really want this. Part of the current cost problem is that we have no idea what medical care really costs or would be without a 3rd party payer. Patients bear little responsibility for costs themselves and prices are 'negotiated' behind closed doors with insurance companies/government (medicare/caid). The free market doesn't have much to do with it.

So my wife's epidural for delivery, we got a bill for $3000. Of that, the insurance decided to pay the anesthesiologist $1500 and we paid around $200. Totally worth the cost to us, but without insurance we wouldn't have been able to afford what was charged, and I doubt most people would either. So in a truly free market, I'm guessing the cost would pushed to that sweet spot between what people are willing and able to pay and what physicians are willing to charge. Who knows what that would be but it might be below what they were able to wring out of the insurance company.

So maybe we should move to a cash only system (patients with HSAs or something rather than insurance would give patients more skin in the game so they have some incentive not to overuse the system) and let the market decide our prices and costs, but we should be prepared that they may not be what we want. Moreover on a practical note how do we/the market determine the 'value' of something huge like cardiac bypass surgery.

Last edited: