Doctor caught smoking pot with patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm all for medical marijuana... hell, I'm even for recreational marijuana, but stuff like this makes me shake my head. An undercover federal agent films a medical marijuana prescribing doctor smoking weed with him.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=7039914

Members don't see this ad.

How many doctors do you think smoke marijuana...?

Members don't see this ad :)
probably quite a few when they're not working.

I ran Dr. Tollette's profile

Medical School Meharry Medical College School Of Medicine
Completed: 1982

Top 50%
stars3.0.gif

Residency Lac-King/Drew Med Ctr
Emergency Medicine

reminds of a certain MJ-using "premed" poster here on SDN awhile back who hoped to start a clinic where people "could just come and hang out smoking MJ...."

At least he was vaporizing.

2zy98p4.jpg

Say he didn't smoke and he evaluated the pt first, would smoking out the pt be any different from giving prescription samples...?

probably quite a few when they're not working.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. I don't see why the kids smoking in med school would all of a sudden decide to stop :p

How does one go about making an "appointment" with said doctor
>_>
<_<

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a doctor who runs a practice just like that. He smokes weed with his teenage daughter at times as well

They put him in FEDERAL prison for this? What a waste of taxpayer money. No wonder we're running out room in prisons.
I sort of empathize with you, however, it really bothers me how he is making a joke out of the medical marijuana system and pretty much being a drug dealer with a MD. Marijuana IS a drug and the same protocols should be followed in prescribing it as with everything else. It also hurts people who actually need the drug for legitimate reasons.

I also believe marijuana should be legalized in california so doctors like this can stop making money doing nothing just because they have an MD. Just a useless middle man and a leech off of society.

I sort of empathize with you, however, it really bothers me how he is making a joke out of the medical marijuana system and pretty much being a drug dealer with a MD. Marijuana IS a drug and the same protocols should be followed in prescribing it as with everything else. It also hurts people who actually need the drug for legitimate reasons.

I also believe marijuana should be legalized in california so doctors like this can stop making money doing nothing just because they have an MD. Just a useless middle man and a leech off of society.

http://caivn.org/article/2010/03/27/recreational-marijuana-use-likely-become-legal-california

If you live in California you might just get your wish granted :p
but we'll see come November..

They put him in FEDERAL prison for this? What a waste of taxpayer money. No wonder we're running out room in prisons.

23% of all the (official) prisoners in the entire world are in the United States. It's not going to get any better because our citizenry is very, very easy to scare.

23% of all the (official) prisoners in the entire world are in the United States. It's not going to get any better because our citizenry is very, very easy to scare.

And our recidivism rate is pretty high, essentially a revolving door. However, we don't elect people who repeal draconian drug laws bcos we caught up in a "tougher than thou" frenzy...

In Miami for instance, sex offenders have been essentially zoned out of a complete county; many of them "squat" under a bridge!! Nevermind that most sex offenses are committed by family/friend/acquaintance!!!

And our recidivism rate is pretty high, essentially a revolving door. However, we don't elect people who repeal draconian drug laws bcos we caught up in a "tougher than thou" frenzy...

In Miami for instance, sex offenders have been essentially zoned out of a complete county; many of them "squat" under a bridge!! Nevermind that most sex offenses are committed by family/friend/acquaintance!!!

The sex offender registry is a REAL mess. It's full of girls/boys who had sex before they turned 18 and drunks who urinated in public. I can't even tell who's a real sex offender anymore. What a joke.

If you think this doc is bad, take a look at this woman:

http://www.doc420.com/

Notice the caption on her picture on the homepage -- "actual doctor" (it's true, just funny how she has to qualify it)

So.... "actual doctor... but just barely!"

(I joke about that not because she went to a Caribbean school but because she didn't do a residency. Don't want to go down that road :cool:)

I wouldn't be surprised if she's a huge political contributor to keep marijuana illegal

http://mdsalaries.blogspot.com/2007/11/dr-sona-patel-m-for-marijuana-m-for.html

:rolleyes:

She did a residency in family medicine I think. It says so on her website, otherwise you can't be licensed and prescribe things right?

I was watching Fox News the other day, and they were saying that some initiative is being proposed in CA to legalize pot completely state-wide, but that it would still lead to federal prosecution for possession.

Weird, it's all so confusing. :confused:

I think the way it works is that law enforcement in California cannot arrest you since they're employees of the state and must abide by the state's Constitution. DEA officers, since they are federal employees, may arrest/or seize your marijuana under federal law. Since the DEA is limited in time and resources it technically only goes after large holders/growers (why the California law includes the part about only being able to carry/own an ounce) so you wouldn't be arrested by the DEA for smoking pot on the street, since it would just be a waste of time and money for the DEA. So individuals are technically protected but growers/sellers are often caught by the DEA, even if its for medical purposes. Once this law passes I expect to see a lot of supreme court decisions over this...

I am a person first, a scientist second and a friend always and I
believe in your right to choose your medication.

Yours in health,
Sona Patel, M.D.

Scientist? :laugh::laugh::laugh: What an airhead.

I wonder what will happen to pot docs like Sona Patel if marijuana becomes legalized in California... are they pretty much limited to opening up a family practice? What happens if they apply to work for a hospital... would any hospital want someone who has been known as doctor420 working for them?

reminds of a certain MJ-using "premed" poster here on SDN awhile back who hoped to start a clinic where people "could just come and hang out smoking MJ...."

I don't smoke, but this sounds like a good idea.

one year worth of pots for $120? am i reading this right? how is it so cheap? i thought medical marijuana would be more expensive than illegal one

It's okay! Let's just build more prisons. The private prison industry is a great industry whose growth only means prosperity for our economy and citizens :thumbup: :thumbup:

[/SARCASM]

I don't see the problem with pot. We are wasting taxpayers money to fight people who smoke pot... Cigs and alcohol do more damage and you don't see anyone wasting taxpayer money on banning it.