Doctor I am shadowing is publishing a case report and is willing to put my name on it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocKoozmin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How will adcoms view this?
I am shadowing a surgeon and this patient was a very weird case that the doctor is going to write up and publish a case report on. I did help both write and edit the paper, as well as did all of the graphics, so the doc wants to put me as an author. I know how hard it is for most undergrads to get published, so I’m scared that adcoms might think I’m just taking the easy road. Is this peak neuroticism, or will this looks suspicious?

Before people ask, I am able to speak very well about the paper if it were to come up in an interview, as I was there for the planning of the case, the surgery itself, and helped write the paper.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you asking this? Why would this ever be bad? Just chill out

Reactions: 4 users
I am shadowing a surgeon and this patient was a very weird case that the doctor is going to write up and publish a case report on. I did help both write and edit the paper, as well as did all of the graphics, so the doc wants to put me as an author. I know how hard it is for most undergrads to get published, so I’m scared that adcoms might think I’m just taking the easy road. Is this peak neuroticism, or will this looks suspicious?

Before people ask, I am able to speak very well about the paper if it were to come up in an interview, as I was there for the planning of the case, the surgery itself, and helped write the paper.

You take opportunities like these when they come around. 100%

Members don't see this ad :)
You can put my name on it if you don’t want to put yours.

Reactions: 8 users

Take the opportunity. Hopefully, it'll appear in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Most premeds would kill to be in your position and get a publication from a shadowing experience. I'd say take it

Reactions: 1 user

Take two of these please:
upload_2018-8-14_7-8-30.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I’m scared that adcoms might think I’m just taking the easy road. Is this peak neuroticism, or will this looks suspicious?
Suspicious for what? If you did the work then how is this taking an easy road?