Doctor I'm shadowing applied to one school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On_The_Way_Up

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was shadowing I asked him how many schools he applied to. And to my shock just one school. He said it was the school he went to for undergrad and knew he was going to get in and didn't want to go anywhere else. Did he just luck out or does this happen more often than people think?

Members don't see this ad.

How old is this doctor? You can't assume that how something may have worked years ago would work now.

That said, there are a couple of states that heavily favor their instate applicants and if someone had a strong app, they might be able to assume that they'll be accepted....but why risk that if not ED'ing.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sure it depends on the state, this happens fairly often with kids applying to the University of Oklahoma. I'm also sure it was more common whenever the doc you were shadowing was applying to school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure it depends on the state, this happens fairly often with kids applying to the University of Oklahoma. I'm also sure it was more common whenever the doc you were shadowing was applying to school.
How old is this doctor? You can't assume that how something may have worked years ago would work now.

That said, there are a couple of states that heavily favor their instate applicants and if someone had a strong app, they might be able to assume that they'll be accepted....but why risk that if not ED'ing.

It's only his 3rd year out of residency.

I know of someone else who only applied to one school and this was two years ago. She just recently got married and he was working at a research institution nearby for his PhD so she didn't want to leave. She did get in.

As for me, I only applied to three schools. Most people sound shocked but I didn't want to go just anywhere. I couldn't set my heart on that many schools.

Physician that I know applied 50 yrs ago, applied to three, got into 2. Btw both t20

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know someone who's only applied to one school as they don't want to move. They're on their 3rd application cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
I had a friend who only wanted to go to USU. I mean, he was the ideal candidate so it made sense. But he decided he didn't want to go anywhere else and just applied there. It makes sense if you really only want to go to one school (and that school is somewhere you could/should/would get in) (and you'd rather have rejections instead of go anywhere else).

Anecdotal evidence is what it is. But applicants with strong stats and a well rounded application applying as in-state applicants to only their in-state school that has a heavy heavy preference towards IS applicants isn't completely unheard of.

That doesn't make it a good strategy.

Times have changed. From what I understand admissions were not as holistic in the past. With the vast majority of the emphasis on objective measurable metrics, I'm sure admissions was much more predictable.

Times have changed. From what I understand admissions were not as holistic in the past. With the vast majority of the emphasis on objective measurable metrics, I'm sure admissions was much more predictable.
This.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's only his 3rd year out of residency.

Then it's been awhile and a lot has changed. He applied over 10 years ago...maybe 12 if he did a fellowship. I know young doctors who applied in 2009, 2010, and 2012 and the process has gotten more competitive since then.

While I was shadowing I asked him how many schools he applied to. And to my shock just one school. He said it was the school he went to for undergrad and knew he was going to get in and didn't want to go anywhere else. Did he just luck out or does this happen more often than people think?
He's an extreme outlier.

The doctor I shadowed had a partner who applied to only one school. It took him three cycles to get in and he eventually started adding more. Keep in mind that he's already been through med school, residency, and a fellowship - and he has been practicing for some time. So this was obviously a while back.

EDIT: He mentioned that he made a LOT of mistakes during the application process and he would have applied much broader if he did it again.

one hundred and twenty seven

Reactions: 2 users
You aren't the only one OP. I've heard this from several physicians. That they applied to maybe 4-5 schools. The ones I have spoke to were much older, entering medical school in early 80s. I recently spoke to an older program director along with senior physicians in private practices that described to me how their selection process has changed quite a bit in light of how the schools have changed along with the advancements of other health care professionals.

I do not know much other than hearing the words of others. But, I feel like medicine in the time we will be practicing will be rather different.

While I was shadowing I asked him how many schools he applied to. And to my shock just one school. He said it was the school he went to for undergrad and knew he was going to get in and didn't want to go anywhere else. Did he just luck out or does this happen more often than people think?[/QU

Your dr had nerves of steel and consummate confidence; sure feels like an extremely unwise decision-making process, though.

Lol...I'd be curious to know how he knew he was going to get in.

I was planning on doing that at first (like, before I had even decided for sure that I wanted to go to medical school - I'm a career-changer). Some older doctors that are friends of mine assured me that I would definitely get into our local med school, so there was really no point in applying anywhere else. Fortunately, SDN helped me understand that would have been a horrible decision, so I'm currently applying to 10 schools (still fewer than a lot of applicants, I know). I still *hope* to get into the local med school and not have to move, but I mean, I really want to be a doctor, so....

Did he apply "early" to that med school (either "early decision" or "early assurance")? If he applied to only 1 school as a regular (ie, none of those "early"), it's a very risky strategy...like others said. Or...he might have some hidden leverage...like a family member/friend in the adcom committee.