On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student
While I was shadowing I asked him how many schools he applied to. And to my shock just one school. He said it was the school he went to for undergrad and knew he was going to get in and didn't want to go anywhere else. Did he just luck out or does this happen more often than people think?

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
How old is this doctor? You can't assume that how something may have worked years ago would work now.

That said, there are a couple of states that heavily favor their instate applicants and if someone had a strong app, they might be able to assume that they'll be accepted....but why risk that if not ED'ing.

joschar

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma
Status
Medical Student
I'm sure it depends on the state, this happens fairly often with kids applying to the University of Oklahoma. I'm also sure it was more common whenever the doc you were shadowing was applying to school.

Reactions: AnatomyGrey12
About the Ads
OP
O

On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm sure it depends on the state, this happens fairly often with kids applying to the University of Oklahoma. I'm also sure it was more common whenever the doc you were shadowing was applying to school.
How old is this doctor? You can't assume that how something may have worked years ago would work now.

That said, there are a couple of states that heavily favor their instate applicants and if someone had a strong app, they might be able to assume that they'll be accepted....but why risk that if not ED'ing.
It's only his 3rd year out of residency.

Jul 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I know of someone else who only applied to one school and this was two years ago. She just recently got married and he was working at a research institution nearby for his PhD so she didn't want to leave. She did get in.

As for me, I only applied to three schools. Most people sound shocked but I didn't want to go just anywhere. I couldn't set my heart on that many schools.

Tenk

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
It's called gambling. You have to have occasional winners or nobody would play.

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I know someone who's only applied to one school as they don't want to move. They're on their 3rd application cycle.

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I had a friend who only wanted to go to USU. I mean, he was the ideal candidate so it made sense. But he decided he didn't want to go anywhere else and just applied there. It makes sense if you really only want to go to one school (and that school is somewhere you could/should/would get in) (and you'd rather have rejections instead of go anywhere else).

ndafife

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anecdotal evidence is what it is. But applicants with strong stats and a well rounded application applying as in-state applicants to only their in-state school that has a heavy heavy preference towards IS applicants isn't completely unheard of.

That doesn't make it a good strategy.

Reactions: gyngyn

MCATISEZ

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Times have changed. From what I understand admissions were not as holistic in the past. With the vast majority of the emphasis on objective measurable metrics, I'm sure admissions was much more predictable.

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2017
Times have changed. From what I understand admissions were not as holistic in the past. With the vast majority of the emphasis on objective measurable metrics, I'm sure admissions was much more predictable.
This.

About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
While I was shadowing I asked him how many schools he applied to. And to my shock just one school. He said it was the school he went to for undergrad and knew he was going to get in and didn't want to go anywhere else. Did he just luck out or does this happen more often than people think?
He's an extreme outlier.

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
The doctor I shadowed had a partner who applied to only one school. It took him three cycles to get in and he eventually started adding more. Keep in mind that he's already been through med school, residency, and a fellowship - and he has been practicing for some time. So this was obviously a while back.

EDIT: He mentioned that he made a LOT of mistakes during the application process and he would have applied much broader if he did it again.

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2015
Idaho
Status
Non-Student

one hundred and twenty seven

MCATISEZ

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status
Medical Student
You aren't the only one OP. I've heard this from several physicians. That they applied to maybe 4-5 schools. The ones I have spoke to were much older, entering medical school in early 80s. I recently spoke to an older program director along with senior physicians in private practices that described to me how their selection process has changed quite a bit in light of how the schools have changed along with the advancements of other health care professionals.

I do not know much other than hearing the words of others. But, I feel like medicine in the time we will be practicing will be rather different.

Reactions: PreMedMissteps

coldspring

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
While I was shadowing I asked him how many schools he applied to. And to my shock just one school. He said it was the school he went to for undergrad and knew he was going to get in and didn't want to go anywhere else. Did he just luck out or does this happen more often than people think?[/QU

Your dr had nerves of steel and consummate confidence; sure feels like an extremely unwise decision-making process, though.

Reactions: ymedex

ymedex

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Lol...I'd be curious to know how he knew he was going to get in.

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
The selection process has become much more formalized over the past 4 decades. some medical schools had a strong bias for their associated UG. Part of the was the informal network of faculty advocating within the system. Columbia, for example, not only promoted their UG to its own medical school, they actively helped place them into other schools.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Reactions: ndafife

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Eh in my class I have talked to more than 5 people who only applied to our school. I think it completely depends on the state, with a handful of states where it is still possible to do this.
It's still a very risky strategy!

Reactions: AnatomyGrey12

ADSigMel

2+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2015
The Deep South
Status
Medical Student
I was planning on doing that at first (like, before I had even decided for sure that I wanted to go to medical school - I'm a career-changer). Some older doctors that are friends of mine assured me that I would definitely get into our local med school, so there was really no point in applying anywhere else. Fortunately, SDN helped me understand that would have been a horrible decision, so I'm currently applying to 10 schools (still fewer than a lot of applicants, I know). I still *hope* to get into the local med school and not have to move, but I mean, I really want to be a doctor, so....

Reactions: DBC03

futureDocDD

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2016
NY
Status
Medical Student
Did he apply "early" to that med school (either "early decision" or "early assurance")? If he applied to only 1 school as a regular (ie, none of those "early"), it's a very risky strategy...like others said. Or...he might have some hidden leverage...like a family member/friend in the adcom committee.

Reactions: ADSigMel
About the Ads