Doctor in Oz/Nz System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd778877

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is an impression I am getting from alot of the research I am doing. And it is that doctors in Oz/NZ and the whole european system don't do that much research. Have I got the wrong impression or is the MBBS geared towards only practice of medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

So this is an impression I am getting from alot of the research I am doing. And it is that doctors in Oz/NZ and the whole european system don't do that much research. Have I got the wrong impression or is the MBBS geared towards only practice of medicine?

My impression is that most medical programmes are geared towards primary care. I'm sure there are ample opportunities for you to get into research if you're into it. The current dean of Sydney medical school applied to and went on to become a Fellow of Medicine in Harvard after graduating from Sydney med school. He wrote two thesis and his name was involved in many published research papers AFAIK.

It is difficult enough having to study clinical medicine, without having to do research-oriented activities.

Research is optional, as an Honours project. Mine involves hepatitis C in mothers and their babies in the western suburbs of Sydney.

The 6-year undergrad courses (UNSW, UMelb) have a compulsory year of research, whereas the 5-year undergrad courses (Newcastle, Western Sydney) do not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it really depends on where you are working and on your specialty. Some specialties require having done some research to get in (e.g. opthamology), and others do not. And one working it depends on where you are. If it is a position in a teaching hospital you wil probably do more than in private practice.

the 2007 nobel prize for medicine went to 2 Australians for research they did which identified the cause of peptic ulcer.

good enough for you?:rolleyes:

the 2007 nobel prize for medicine went to 2 Australians for research they did which identified the cause of peptic ulcer.

good enough for you?:rolleyes:

2005 =)