Dec 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
My situation is a unique one (I think...). I am wondering if anyone has advice on a solid plan of attack here. I have a Master of Music performance degree from a respected conservatory and I am currently pursuing a Doctor of Music degree. I want to go to med school - have wanted to for a long while now. I never considered this as an undergrad so I have no pre-meds under my belt (other than the ones I am taking alongside the DMA degree). I'm in no way concerned with my success in pre-med classes. I am concerned, however, with my undergrad GPA. My first two years were spent "soul searching", so the end result was a 3.0. My teachers recommended me for honors as an undergrad (did not get it, but the recommendation is on my transcript) and I certainly have a strong professional reputation. My graduate GPA is just above 3.7.

My inclincation is to wrap up this year's music classes, put the DMA on ice for the time being, and try my luck at being accepted to a high-end post-bac program. I am at a loss because there seem to be quite a few directions I could go with this, but my GPA is sub-par at best.

Richardh

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2008
Status
If you wish to improve your undergraduate gpa and also complete the pre-reqs for premed then post-bac program is the right direction :thumbup: in addition, a special master's program is also another option to consider :) more info can be found here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

while you're completing the pre-reqs, it is also a good idea to volunteer at a hospital or clinical setting. that way you will not only gain community service experience, a letter of recommendation from either a nurse or a doctor, but more importantly reassurance that medicine is indeed the right field that you wish to enter :D

OP
S
Dec 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks man. I guess I'm in a place where I'm not sure if it's worth it to go to a special post-bac program. I can take all my pre-meds here if I want. Is it worth it to go through the application process and relocate to a post-bac program?

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks man. I guess I'm in a place where I'm not sure if it's worth it to go to a special post-bac program. I can take all my pre-meds here if I want. Is it worth it to go through the application process and relocate to a post-bac program?
If you can take all your pre-req's where you are then take them there. You only need the undergrad classwork and since it will be all new to you it will give you some idea of whether the journey to med school is worth it without forking out a huge amt of money. Post bacc is usually for those folks who already have a science degree and need to beef up poor past performance in the science classes - that is not you. Don't relocate. Stay put and see how you do.