Doctor of the Day is an NP??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiciansforpatients

Partner Organization
Reaction score
Every day that the Florida legislature is in session, they have a “Doctor of the Day”, who is introduced to the legislators at opening session, then serves as the physician on site for the rest of the day, taking care of any medical issues that may arise. Steeped in tradition, going on for decades.

But today, this happened: a Nurse Practitioner was introduced as the Doctor of the Day, and was even called “Doctor

Here’s actual quote from FL Speaker of House:
“How telling of the power of an interest group that I stand here today, over half-a-century later trying to convince lawmakers; not to allow people with a two year degrees and 400 hours of training to administer care on a blood stained pavement in a chaotic setting, no, I am standing here saying that an advanced nurse practitioner who has at least a four year degree in nursing, a graduate degree, in many cases, a doctorate in nursing and 2,000 hours of clinical, supervised residency to be allowed to practice what they studied! Allowing advanced nurse practitioners to practice independently will have an immediate positive effect on access and affordability.

It is a stain upon a state that prides itself on leading to even humor talk of patient safety coming from interest groups when we now know beyond a shadow of a doubt of its safety and efficacy. Or worse, to use phrases like, “if you want to be a doctor, study to be a doctor.” Thirty states have out-grown this backwards policy, Thirty! It is high-time we allow health care professionals to practice to the extent of their training!”

Is there anyone who still values our education???

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely sucks.

Most docs are unable/unwilling to put in the time and effort that is needed to fight these types of issues and even when we try it’s painted as the all powerful docs bullying the downtrodden.

One small way to fight back is to continue to refuse to supervise any PAs and NPs (in states where they do not have independent rights).

There can be letter writing campaigns that can be undertaken (which we did in NM when there was a bill that would no longer exempt hospitals from certain liability caps and would have resulted in premiums sky rocketing).

Reactions: 1 user
This is one of the most pathetic posts I've ever seen on here. It shows that you're more concerned with titles and prestige than patient care. It's amazingly hypocritical that you use the term "interest group" to derogate NPs while representing an organization whose goal is clearly to box out competition for licensed physicians. People have the right to see whoever they want for medical care; if you don't like that some people chose providers with a different educational background than your own, you and your crony organization of government favor-seekers can kick rocks.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
even when we try it’s painted as the all powerful docs bullying the downtrodden.

All throughout history, the pattern of has been the same—trade groups have lobbied for government-granted monopolies for purely selfish reasons and rationalized it on the grounds that it‘s been necessary to "protect the public.” The OP could not be doing a worse job of pretending he's engaged in anything other than that.

Last edited:
This is one of the most pathetic posts I've ever seen on here. It shows that you're more concerned with titles and prestige than patient care. I'll be blunt when I say I'm not impressed with your education—there are so many crappy doctors out there that it's obvious medical education needs a complete overhaul. It's amazingly hypocritical that you use the term "interest group" to derogate NPs while representing an organization whose goal is clearly to box out competition for licensed physicians. People have the right to see whoever they want for medical care; if you don't like that some people chose providers with a different educational background than your own, you and your crony organization of government favor-seekers can kick rocks.

But equating docs with NPs is false.
Additionally, we have folks seeing naturopaths, crystal “healers”, chiropractors etc and when those folks keep getting worse that is when it suddenly becomes our problem to fix.
If I buy a coke, I have a reasonable expectation of a level of quality and safety.
If these pseudo-docs did an honest job of their training (or lack of), and tones down on the “big pharma pays docs to keep you sick” then I would have leas of an issue.

Additionally, we have folks seeing naturopaths, crystal “healers”, chiropractors etc and when those folks keep getting worse that is when it suddenly becomes our problem to fix.
If I buy a coke, I have a reasonable expectation of a level of quality and safety.
If these pseudo-docs did an honest job of their training (or lack of), and tones down on the “big pharma pays docs to keep you sick” then I would have leas of an issue.
There is nothing in fact that says you have a right to be protected from the consequences of your own poor decision at the expense of the freedom upon which others’ lives depend. Do you want the government to regulate the flavor of Coke to ensure it meets the specifications of a group of all-knowing bureaucrats? Nothing I said equates docs to NDs. Chiros and naturopaths are extensor limited in their scope; they are allowed to practice only because they don’t step on doctors’ turf. Licensing hurts patients by preventing better people from entering the market to do things that licensed doctors now monopolize.

Last edited:

Most doctors aren’t Physicians. Change the wording to “physician of the day“ Problem solved. The world keeps spinning, and you don’t need to make posts like this in a concerted effort to turn future physicians against NP’s even before they’ve ever worked with one.

There is nothing in fact that says you have a right to be protected from the consequences of your own poor decision at the expense of the freedom upon which others’ lives depend. Do you want the government to regulate the flavor of Coke to ensure it meets the specifications of a group of all-knowing bureaucrats? Nothing I said equates docs to NDs. Chiros and naturopaths are extensor limited in their scope; they are allowed to practice only because they don’t step on doctors’ turf. Licensing hurts patients by preventing better people from entering the market to do things that licensed doctors now monopolize.

The government is what disallows me from selling a red coloured can of beverage called Coco-cola (rather than coca).

This helps folks make informed decisions, and not confuse the matter as to what they are getting.
It is false advertising to claim equivalency.

The fact that your car, house, tools etc are safe and do not fall apart or electrocute you is because the government has mandated certain safety minimums.

You cannot expect anyone to somehow test all the companies that make tools and then see which one doesn’t kill you.

NPs and PAs have their role, just as IM docs have theirs.
You wouldn’t want me doing surgery on a family member of yours (except maybe mother in law :)!).

Going to an accredited school, doing X amount of hours in rotations, going to an approved residency etc, allow for a certain level of competence that when not met can be acted upon by pts since they had a reasonable expectation of good care

“Better people”??? How can that be said when they do not take the same tests or rotations etc.
You can argue that the standards fo not reflect true pt care and in some ways that is correct, but to allow just anyone to hang up a shingle and practice medicine is against the government’s job of providing safety and security for its people.

Would you be OK with me driving an 18 wheeler on the same roads as your family, when I have not passed the drivers test for trucks?

Last edited:
Would you be OK with me driving an 18 wheeler on the same roads as your family, when I have not passed the drivers test for trucks?

I like this analogy because NPs are equivalently saying "I've driven my Ford F150 for 2000 hours. Am I not qualified to drive that 18 wheeler now?"