EMT/Paramedic or Doctor (pre-med) originally?

  • I was pre-med before becoming an EMT/Paramedic

    Votes: 17 70.8%
  • I was an EMT/Paramedic and then I decided I wanted to be a Doctor

    Votes: 7 29.2%

  • Total voters
    24
  • Poll closed .

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
1,293
0
Tampa, FL
Status
Non-Student
EMT's... were you pre-med first and then an EMT/Paramedic or did you start out as an EMT/Paramedic and decide you wanted to be a Doctor?

Just curious, because everyone I work with usually assumes that I decided I wanted to be a doc from being an EMT. However, I was pre-med a loooong time before that.
 

AggieJohn

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
688
0
34
Dallas, TX
www.aggiepremed.org
Status
Medical Student
AWhitehair said:
EMT's... were you pre-med first and then an EMT/Paramedic or did you start out as an EMT/Paramedic and decide you wanted to be a Doctor?

Just curious, because everyone I work with usually assumes that I decided I wanted to be a doc from being an EMT. However, I was pre-med a loooong time before that.
Same as you. Pre Med then EMT.
 

Agent Splat

Viruses? Don't Exist.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
3,597
2
The only major American city to have elected 3 Soc
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had wanted to be an EMT for a few years before even considering premed, but I didn't get a chance to take the course until about the same time I had thought about becoming a doctor. For me the work is great stress relief from school.
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,730
1,892
Status
Attending Physician
Robizzle said:
i have a feeling the outcome of this poll will be lots and lots (and lots) of choice 1.
I had no interest in being a premed when I became an EMT. Sounded like too much college at the time.
 

greytmedic

Faster than you
10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2005
313
2
California
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I started out Pre-med in college, but financial problems kept me from getting past my first semester. I joined the Army as a medic to get experience. I was in the National Guard, deployed a couple of times which also screwed up my getting back into college. I took a slight detour on the road to medical school and got a job as a EMT-B then went to paramedic class. Now I am working part-time as a paramedic while going to school full-time. I love EMS and most likely, although not 100% sure, will go into emergency medicine.
 
OP
AWhitehair

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
1,293
0
Tampa, FL
Status
Non-Student
Robizzle said:
i have a feeling the outcome of this poll will be lots and lots (and lots) of choice 1.
You may be right when it comes to SDN. However, outside of SDN you'd be surprised at just how many people took took the opposite route. There are so many ER docs that started out as Paramedics.
 
OP
AWhitehair

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
1,293
0
Tampa, FL
Status
Non-Student
greytmedic said:
I started out Pre-med in college, but financial problems kept me from getting past my first semester. I joined the Army as a medic to get experience. I was in the National Guard, deployed a couple of times which also screwed up my getting back into college. I took a slight detour on the road to medical school and got a job as a EMT-B then went to paramedic class. Now I am working part-time as a paramedic while going to school full-time. I love EMS and most likely, although not 100% sure, will go into emergency medicine.
This is how I feel too. Thanks for sharing your story. :)
 

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
9,798
128
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
I dreamed of medicine when I was a kid (really). Went to college, didn't wanna do the work, didn't know what the heck I wanted - dropped out. Not pre-med at the time. Became a paramedic, worked for over 10 years, went back to school and going to med school in 3 weeks. :eek:
 
OP
AWhitehair

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
1,293
0
Tampa, FL
Status
Non-Student
Wow! That's awesome...congrats!!!
 

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
290
1
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
Kind of half and half.

I had always sorta wanted to be a doctor from when I was really young. But I wasn't officially pre-med until after I became an EMT. As in I made my decision to definitely become a doctore after becoming an EMT.
 

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
290
1
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
Yarr. I too am strongly considering Emergency Medicine. I think most people who have an EMT/Paramedic background either strongly consider it as a specialty or strongly don't want to be an ER doc.

My undergrad (MIT) has a student run EMS, which invariably gets filled with a decent number of pre-meds, though we try to only accept people who are interested in EMS and not padding their resume. Anyway, I think out of the pre-meds in the group, about half are interested and the other half is doesn't want to deal with it (because they know what stuff gets brought in).
 

asunshine

can't sing but i got soul
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
387
1
Status
Medical Student
well, i was pre-med before i became a nurse. does that count? i had to check out nursing before i made the big commitment to medicine. and now i can say i'm 1000000% sure i'm ready to take the plunge.