Doctor-related Graduation Gift???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justforkicks4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have kinda a fun question. I'll be attending med school this fall and my 'rents wanted to get me a cool doctor-related gift for my college graduation. Any ideas on books or other gear that might be useful and fun? All I could really come up with was a Gray's Anatomy text. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, don't get Gray's... It might be cool, but it probably wouldn't help you as much as Netter's or Grant's might. (I think Netter's is the popular standard)

One thing I wish I'd gotten as a gift is a stethoscope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, don't get Gray's... It might be cool, but it probably wouldn't help you as much as Netter's or Grant's might. (I think Netter's is the popular standard)

One thing I wish I'd gotten as a gift is a stethoscope!
I know people who swear by Gray's for students. I'm partial to Netter, but Gray's I can see why people like Gray's.

You really shouldnt have to give your roomates ideas.... they should be doing the research, no?

You really shouldnt have to give your roomates ideas.... they should be doing the research, no?

Very insightful post. He should also tell his roommates to stop the hate don't discriminate.

Oh I can't remember the name of it, but there's this old volume of books that has pain referral points in it. I love that set of books. It might be useful :)

A

Why don't you just buy a stethoscope? Those things can be pretty expensive...

Not really, especially if you're required to get an otoscope and opthalmoscope.

I asked for first semesters tuition and my parents politely declined (i.e. 'LOL. No.).

Well, be sure to find out if your med school gives you one. The alumni assn of my school gives every new student a monogrammed stethoscope.

My sister (and her nurse fiance) got me a nice stethoscope for Christmas. It's purple! And therefore awesome. It was good timing, because right now all I want for graduation gifts are furniture and kitchen appliances...

There was a thread on this topic about 6 weeks ago. Bottom line: gift cards (particularly Amazon), coffee maker or espresso machine, something else for your apartment or dorm, good bottle of wine that can be set aside for your med school graduation celebration.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=700960

A coffee maker or espresso machine is a wonderful gift.

I never drink coffee unless I'm studying/testing, and didn't really drink coffee at all until med school, and I consider it to be a very wise and advisable use of a performance enhancing substance.

a new bed collection. that comes with stuff to decorate your room with. always cool
or a nice comfy, BIG, "personalized" pillow