Doctor thinks I have no right to ask him for an ID........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Estrace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, this doctor is the rudest human being I've ever dealt with....
When I first got to this store (early last year), my techs warned me about him and how rude he can be.
I never really interact with him much just to avoid any conflict. The first concern I had about him was that he love to call in scripts for himself. I understand calling in script for yourself every once in a while and in an emergency situation but this is a habit for this doctor. Even when he has another doctor calls in script for him, he will authorize his own refills. Well, I just ignored him just because everyone said to avoid him. It didn't take long before I noticed another concern, he calls scripts under a lady's name but comes to pick up the meds himself. Every single time he calls in prescriptions for this lady, he shows up himself to pick them up. This went on for about a year until 2 weeks ago. When he came in to pick up the Z Pak he called in under this lady's name, I told him that I need a proof that this patient exist. So he either bring her in next time or bring me her ID or I'm not going to dispense anymore script that he calls in under that name. He looked at me in disbelief that I even have the audacity to say that to him.
Well, 2 days ago he called in Medrol dose Pak for the same lady. After getting all the information, I reminded him that I need to see the lady's ID before he can pick up the medication . He went off on me on the phone and demanded to speak to the manager. I transferred him to the shift leader on duty. He called me every name in the book and was threatening fire and brimstone. The SL told him that the pharmacist has the final say and that there's really nothing she can do. He showed up like 45 minutes later with the lady's ID but went to bring the SL to come get his prescription because he does want to look at my face . After picking up the script, he gave the SL a name and ask her to keep it because that person is from the state board and will be contacting her soon because he as reported me to the state board
My concern wasn't just that he picks up this lady's meds, there's no history of any other doctor on her profile in two years. He called in every single prescription on file for her including controls. She also doesn't have insurance so he enrolled her in the PSC. He claims that the lady who is supposed to be in her fifties is bedridden . He has called in everything from contraceptives to controls for her and picked them up himself. He is a plastic surgeon .
Was I wrong for asking for an ID???

Members don't see this ad.

No. You didn't do anything wrong, other than filling his prescriptions which aren't related to plastic surgery. The board will not care that you asked for the ID.

Reactions: 1 users
If he's having iffy prescribing, prescribing out of scope and possibly engaging in shady business it may be worth alerting your state board of medical examiners as well. If he's calling in controls for this patient that would be a huge red flag for me. Is this plastic surgeon acting as a bedridden woman's primary care provider and trying to treat several illnesses outside of his scope?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why you would be wrong to ask for an ID. it is within a pharmacies right to ID a patient before giving them the medication. otherwise, any dingus can come in off the street and pick up anybodies medication. Also, you said he phones in controlled substances from time to time. We're required over here to check ID's before releasing controlled substances to anybody. Our store actually goes an extra mile and makes a copy of all the ID's in case someone tries to claim that we gave their oxy to the wrong person and starts a ruckus. I would have asked for the ladies ID right then and there, not for this zpak nonsense.

I am guessing there is a good chance the patient is fake (or he may know her but is still using her ID to get controls for himself). He mixes in the non-controls to make it look like it is not completely fake and thinks he can throw you off. He knows you are on to him and is trying to intimidate you into giving him. I guarantee you that he is not calling the board, next time he comes in offer to call the board for him and see his response. Or just go ahead and report suspicious behavior to the board - it is your right as a Rph. I did that once in a similiar case (a surgeon calling in rxs for him and his wife - ambien, norco for his wife). Turns out he was an addict, had his license suspended, went to rehab, and now practices (last I know) in the area after cleaning up

Reactions: 2 users
No. You didn't do anything wrong, other than filling his prescriptions which aren't related to plastic surgery. The board will not care that you asked for the ID.

When you specialize in Plastic Surgery, you still have an MD and can prescribe anything you want. You don't lose your degree. It's when you cross practice areas:

Optometrist
Podiatrist
Dentist

Any one of those prescribing HTN meds

When you specialize in Plastic Surgery, you still have an MD and can prescribe anything you want. You don't lose your degree. It's when you cross practice areas:

Optometrist
Podiatrist
Dentist

well, no exactly, he can obviously practice medicine in those areas, but it is questionable if he is prescribing outside his normal "scope of practice". It is not illegal, but it is legitimate to question it. He needs to keep proper patient records, etc.

I am guessing there is a good chance the patient is fake (or he may know her but is still using her ID to get controls for himself). He mixes in the non-controls to make it look like it is not completely fake and thinks he can throw you off. He knows you are on to him and is trying to intimidate you into giving him. I guarantee you that he is not calling the board, next time he comes in offer to call the board for him and see his response. Or just go ahead and report suspicious behavior to the board - it is your right as a Rph. I did that once in a similiar case (a surgeon calling in rxs for him and his wife - ambien, norco for his wife). Turns out he was an addict, had his license suspended, went to rehab, and now practices (last I know) in the area after cleaning up

That's exactly what I think is going on. Unfortunately, when I told my RMX, she brushed it off. Well, it's my license and I am allowed to verify that a patient actually exist before dispensing any medication.
Even my store manager was very proud of me when he came in the next day and the ST told him what happened.

Reactions: 1 user
That's exactly what I think is going on. Unfortunately, when I told my RMX, she brushed it off. Well, it's my license and I am allowed to verify that a patient actually exist before dispensing any medication.
Even my store manager was very proud of me when he came in the next day and the ST told him what happened.
just to CYA - I would file something with your DM (a simple email stating the above) to it is "on the record" if for some reason this guy goes all bat **** crazy

State law in Texas doesn't specify that an ID is required to pick up a controlled substance but that the patient must be familiar to the pharmacist. This of course can be done through looking at an ID. Do I have to ID my brother when he picks up his Vimpat? Texas law says no.

Optometrist
Podiatrist
Dentist

Not controlled substances. They must be in the scope of practice:
The DEA said:
The DEA’s regulations (21 C.F.R. § 1306.04) addressing corresponding responsibility state

A prescription for a controlled substance to be effective must be issued for a legitimate medical purpose by an individual practitioner acting in the usual course of his professional practice.

He's going to report you to the board for inconveniencing him? Ha ha ha. Being reported to the board isn't something I've ever felt threatened by.

Members don't see this ad :)
For regular prescriptions, I don't really care. In other countries, you can buy zpack and etc OTC. Yes, MDs can prescribe for themselves.... and okay refill. No, you can not demand ID for it unless you think it is being abused. I don't see how people can abuse a Medrol dose pack.

For controls, it is another story. In fact, at CVS... they came down with a rule that we can not fill controls for doctors who prescribed it for themselves, or for their family members. In addition, controls should be filled in legitimate good faith in usual course of business. If the doctor is doing it for his patient, that is okay. You have the right to ID anytime because you have a corresponding responsibility.

For regular prescriptions, I don't really care. In other countries, you can buy zpack and etc OTC. Yes, MDs can prescribe for themselves.... and okay refill. No, you can not demand ID for it unless you think it is being abused. I don't see how people can abuse a Medrol dose pack.

For controls, it is another story. In fact, at CVS... they came down with a rule that we can not fill controls for doctors who prescribed it for themselves, or for their family members. In addition, controls should be filled in legitimate good faith in usual course of business. If the doctor is doing it for his patient, that is okay. You have the right to ID anytime because you have a corresponding responsibility.

So even if it's a fake profile, you won't care ? I don't really care much about him prescribing for himself and authorizing his own refills. I think it's odd that he is the only doctor that has called in prescriptions for this patient and no one has ever seen who the patient is. He picked up the medications himself. I have a feeling that he uses that profile to call in prescriptions for his women. I know that most prescription meds are OTC in other countries but we are in America and things are done differently here. He shouldn't be able to operate a fake profile just because he's a doctor.
All I asked for was a proof that this patient exist.

We had the exact same situation happen recently. Prescriber was calling in scripts and picking them up for a fictitious patient for controls and other meds claiming she was "bedridden" and couldn't pick them up herself. He ended up in jail and lost his license.

After picking up the script, he gave the SL a name and ask her to keep it because that person is from the state board and will be contacting her soon because he as reported me to the state board

There you go...you should file a report to his state board as well. Document everything, just in case. You have a legal obligation to question him.

He reminds me of this physician and this banker. The physician's nurse was calling in large quantity of controlled meds for this banker and when the pharmacist questioned her, she admitted, "the doctor does this all of the time for his friends". So after that, the pharmacist refused to dispense for this guy. The physician and banker went off on the pharmacist. The banker came to the pharmacy and tried to intimidate the pharmacist. He gave us his business card so we all would know he's a vice president of a local bank.

The pharmacist later discovered that he was getting controlled meds under a fake name at another CVS. They were prescribed by the same physician. After that, the physician and the banker apologized profusely to the pharmacist. She could have reported this to the DEA and to the state board but like many pharmacists, she didnt want "the trouble".

Last edited:
I actually have family members who's primary care doc was calling in scripts for controls for fake patients and then taking them himself. He was actually a good physician and caught an error a hospital made in treating one of my family members but what he did was still illegal and not appropriate. He went to jail, lost his license and was placed into rehab afterwards I believe.

I've been in hospitals where they monitor closely the individual nurses who administer pain meds to track for drug diversion and he showed me how they catch drug diversion and what gives off suspicion.

I've also known of pharmacists who forged scripts for fake patients. One pharmacist did that and she got caught because they audited the physician she was forging under and found out he was writing inappropriate pain meds for his wife which led to them discovering that the pharmacist was forging scripts in his name to fuel their own addiction.

I think pharmacists being gatekeepers for medications should act using professional judgement to follow up on suspicions. If you see questionable prescribing habits I think it's appropriate to follow up on that. I mean you never know, it could be that the plastic surgeon was the patient's neighbor and he was caring for her and collaborating with her primary health doc, but then again it may be a case of fraud or abuse (especially if they act overly defensive when asked reasonable questions).

Last edited:
I would strongly consider reporting to the state medical board.

I have called in occasional scripts for myself and more frequently for my wife, but NEVER anything controlled. If it was just regular run of the mill stuff - NSAIDs, OCPs, Abx; who cares. Controlled substances are different, especially with the DEA cracking down.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you tried calling her? Make up a fake excuse to call the patient when you get it fixed and see if he only gives his number

Have you tried calling her? Make up a fake excuse to call the patient when you get it fixed and see if he only gives his number

This. I would have told the dr who showed up that I couldn't fill the prescription until I talked to the patient. That would at least tell you if there is a real person behind the prescription. You can ask questions such as who her primary is, and based on what she tells you, decide if you want to fill any prescriptions for her or not.

But yeah, as others have said, the doctor threatening to call the state board, that would be my cue to call the state board myself. That makes the doctor seem very suspicious, and of course, he is not going to call the state board on you.

So even if it's a fake profile, you won't care ? I don't really care much about him prescribing for himself and authorizing his own refills. I think it's odd that he is the only doctor that has called in prescriptions for this patient and no one has ever seen who the patient is. He picked up the medications himself. I have a feeling that he uses that profile to call in prescriptions for his women. I know that most prescription meds are OTC in other countries but we are in America and things are done differently here. He shouldn't be able to operate a fake profile just because he's a doctor.
All I asked for was a proof that this patient exist.

For regular prescriptions... no. There is no law federally (and at least in NY) where you have to ID regular prescriptions..., or that it has to be for that person. We have people who do that all the time in NY... illegal immigrants, homeless people, movie stars, etc. Do doctors ID you when you come in for a cold? Then why would you ID for a zpack? For me, there are other important things to do. In fact, it can be argued that you are hindering patient care as a good portion of the population might not have ID, or carry an ID with them at all times. Do you also deny the 17 year old kid his zpack after he saw his pediatrician because he didn't get his driver license yet?

For controls... YES. That is against the law - (Federal, monitored by DEA and most state laws). You have a corresponding responsibility to make sure the control medication (controlled because of it's abuse potential) is not going to be abused and ID-ing is a valid way to prevent that.

For regular prescriptions... no. There is no law federally (and at least in NY) where you have to ID regular prescriptions..., or that it has to be for that person.

Ummm.....

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Drugs/compounding-pharmacists-defend-trade-meningitis/story?id=17503276&page=2 said:
When large-scale compounding pharmacies began to crop up, health care providers became lax about writing compounded drug prescriptions for individual patients. Leiter said he received prescriptions for patients named "Mickey Mouse," and prescriptions that included extra doses that a single patient couldn't possibly need.

Do you want to defend any other illegal practices that led to the current problems with sterile compounding?

For regular prescriptions... no. There is no law federally (and at least in NY) where you have to ID regular prescriptions..., or that it has to be for that person. We have people who do that all the time in NY... illegal immigrants, homeless people, movie stars, etc. Do doctors ID you when you come in for a cold? Then why would you ID for a zpack? For me, there are other important things to do. In fact, it can be argued that you are hindering patient care as a good portion of the population might not have ID, or carry an ID with them at all times. Do you also deny the 17 year old kid his zpack after he saw his pediatrician because he didn't get his driver license yet?

For controls... YES. That is against the law - (Federal, monitored by DEA and most state laws). You have a corresponding responsibility to make sure the control medication (controlled because of it's abuse potential) is not going to be abused and ID-ing is a valid way to prevent that.

Wow... very interesting. I actually had a lot of respect for you before this respond. I have never ID a patient picking up non control medications ever. I have never even ID this doctor's when he picks up his own non control medications. But I do have every right to ask a doctor that picks up prescriptions he calls in consistently for the past two years to show me proof that the patient exist. Just because people do that in NY doesn't mean it's legal. There are clinics that carter to illegal immigrants and homeless so they don't have to engage in illegal stuff like this.

You are both right to some extent. There is no requirement to ID every single person who comes in for a prescription.....BUT the law does require not filling suspicious prescriptions, regardless of whether or not they are controlled. We had a thread here a few months ago about a patient getting a years supply of furosemide every single month--this is obviously suspicious, and the pharmacist could get in trouble for this. Same with "patients" with names such as Mickey Mouse, it is illegal to get prescriptions filled under an alias, so it would be quite prudent for the pharmacist to check ID in this instance. Now a situation where someone is bringing in a single prescription for a z-pack, this is not suspicious, so there is no need to check the persons ID's, and its completely irrelevant as to whether the person is a minor or homeless, or whatever.

Personally I would not question or care about a doctor calling in scripts for a non-controlled substances. The person could be his mother, girlfriend, or mistress. I wouldn't care. Of course controlled substance is a different story.

We had a doctor doing something similar with his wife of a different last name and an assistant picking up the drugs. Mostly for provigal. He's I'm jail now

I could care less ... for z pak and Medrol.?
I would care if he was prescribing controlled...but zpak and medrol. he is an md....come on guys

He has called in controls under that name. All he needed to pick up the controls he calls in is his ID. It is illegal for him to operate a fake account, doesn't matter what he calls in under it. My problem wasn't so much what he was picking up, It was more about the authenticity of the account.

Wow... very interesting. I actually had a lot of respect for you before this respond. I have never ID a patient picking up non control medications ever. I have never even ID this doctor's when he picks up his own non control medications. But I do have every right to ask a doctor that picks up prescriptions he calls in consistently for the past two years to show me proof that the patient exist. Just because people do that in NY doesn't mean it's legal. There are clinics that carter to illegal immigrants and homeless so they don't have to engage in illegal stuff like this.

As a pharmacist and a professional, you have a right to not fill any scripts that you are not comfortable with. You most definitely have a right to ask for IDs on controls.

For regular prescriptions, can you provide me with your state law or Federal law that says you need an ID for patient for regular medication with no abuse potential? I also cant find anything on aliases...

The concern with ID-ing is to make sure that a medication is not being abused. I am being a devil's advocate here so you can see the point. By you asking ID for a Zpack or Medrol, the doctor has to go to the lady who is "bedridden" and get an ID from her, for antibiotics. If every pharmacist did this for every regular prescription, patient care will decrease because we are putting up barriers.

To a certain extent, I felt that you were biased because other people "warned" you about the doctor. Yes the doctor might be rude, but we are professionals. We should treat everybody the same. Other things that you pointed out were distractions (doctor is a plastic surgeon)..., he is still an MD. He went through the training plus another 6 years of residency to be able to prescribe broadly. The concern like Old Timer said is with other specialties like Dentists calling in things they have no business calling in.

Just to be clear, if the doctor is calling in controls for himself, or other people under fake aliases, that is not ethical and should be reported to the state boards. Then that is what I would focus on. If I was you, I would ask for an ID when he called in the control, NOT when he is calling in zpack...

He has called in controls under that name. All he needed to pick up the controls he calls in is his ID. It is illegal for him to operate a fake account, doesn't matter what he calls in under it. My problem wasn't so much what he was picking up, It was more about the authenticity of the account.

Okay... and how do you decide which account is fake as a process? Can you also show me information saying that it is illegal to operate a fake account? I don't want to be breaking any laws because I do fill for movie stars (a few big ones), and they operate on Sean W..., and alteration on names so Bob might be changed to Robert, William, etc... to protect their HIPAA information.

It is illegal to write a script under a different alias with the intent of defrauding an insurance company, but I am okay if they pay cash for it and it is not a control substance.

Okay... and how do you decide which account is fake as a process? Can you also show me information saying that it is illegal to operate a fake account? I don't want to be breaking any laws because I do fill for movie stars (a few big ones), and they operate on Sean W..., and alteration on names so Bob might be changed to Robert, William, etc... to protect their HIPAA information.

It is illegal to write a script under a different alias with the intent of defrauding an insurance company, but I am okay if they pay cash for it and it is not a control substance.
I'm pretty sure every state's required elements on a prescription include the patient's name, not "any random name that may or not be a real person". If you've decided to enter that patient into a record with an alias...well, I don't even know where I'd look to see if that was legal. But that's your call and may be justified. The MD cannot make that call by falsifying the prescription.

That is illegal, HIPAA doesn't mean people can lie about their identity, it means that people who share their medical information will be punished. Why do you think most doctors offices are now requiring people to show ID to get treatment?

From a medical standpoint, how can one give good care to someone who may be getting different prescriptions that interact filled under different names? What if they go into the ER unconscious, and the hospital calls you to find out what medicine they are taking, and nobody knows what alias they were filling prescriptions under? What if they are abusing non-controlled drugs (say stuff like tramadol or gabapentin, which are controlled in some states, but not in others?)

I'm pretty sure every state's required elements on a prescription include the patient's name, not "any random name that may or not be a real person". If you've decided to enter that patient into a record with an alias...well, I don't even know where I'd look to see if that was legal. But that's your call and may be justified. The MD cannot make that call by falsifying the prescription.

I never remember this in law class, and tried looking it up in NY pharmacy regulation. I could not find it... so I was hoping somebody can point to it.

I don't regularly fill scripts that are under fake aliases, but I have seen a couple. I don't think of it as a big deal.

That is illegal, HIPAA doesn't mean people can lie about their identity, it means that people who share their medical information will be punished. Why do you think most doctors offices are now requiring people to show ID to get treatment?

From a medical standpoint, how can one give good care to someone who may be getting different prescriptions that interact filled under different names? What if they go into the ER unconscious, and the hospital calls you to find out what medicine they are taking, and nobody knows what alias they were filling prescriptions under? What if they are abusing non-controlled drugs (say stuff like tramadol or gabapentin, which are controlled in some states, but not in others?)

I am not saying it is good... but is there a law stating that it is illegal? I couldn't find any...

If there is, I want to know so I can reference it in the future for my knowledge.

As a pharmacist and a professional, you have a right to not fill any scripts that you are not comfortable with. You most definitely have a right to ask for IDs on controls.

For regular prescriptions, can you provide me with your state law or Federal law that says you need an ID for patient for regular medication with no abuse potential? I also cant find anything on aliases...

The concern with ID-ing is to make sure that a medication is not being abused. I am being a devil's advocate here so you can see the point. By you asking ID for a Zpack or Medrol, the doctor has to go to the lady who is "bedridden" and get an ID from her, for antibiotics. If every pharmacist did this for every regular prescription, patient care will decrease because we are putting up barriers.

To a certain extent, I felt that you were biased because other people "warned" you about the doctor. Yes the doctor might be rude, but we are professionals. We should treat everybody the same. Other things that you pointed out were distractions (doctor is a plastic surgeon)..., he is still an MD. He went through the training plus another 6 years of residency to be able to prescribe broadly. The concern like Old Timer said is with other specialties like Dentists calling in things they have no business calling in.

Just to be clear, if the doctor is calling in controls for himself, or other people under fake aliases, that is not ethical and should be reported to the state boards. Then that is what I would focus on. If I was you, I would ask for an ID when he called in the control, NOT when he is calling in zpack...

So you will only ask for ID when he calls in controls under the fake profile? That doesn't solve anything because the law allows him to present his own ID while picking up. The smart thing to do is verify the profile , not ask him for ID when he's picking up controls only. We have asked him for ID for controls just like we ask every patient picking up control and he gives his own ID every time. I will never knowingly fill a prescription for a fake profile even if it's for Vit D.
This had nothing to do with what he was picking up. My concern was with the profile as a whole.

Last edited:
Personally I would not question or care about a doctor calling in scripts for a non-controlled substances. The person could be his mother, girlfriend, or mistress. I wouldn't care. Of course controlled substance is a different story.

This.

Just give it to the man.

So you will only ask for ID when he calls in controls under the fake profile? That doesn't solve anything because the law allows him to present his own ID while picking up. The smart thing to do is verify the profile , not ask him for ID when he's picking up controls only. We have asked him for ID for controls just like we ask every patient picking up control and he gives his own ID every time. I will never knowingly fill a prescription for a fake profile even if it's for Vit D.
This had nothing to do with what he was pick up. My concern was with the profile as a whole.

You are right....

My store is high volume so I dont question validity of profiles. I ask for IDs on controls, and document it on hardcopy along with checking state PMP for controls. I have never asked for ID on regular prescriptions and wouldn't know which profiles are fake or not unless someone mentioned it.

My partners and I filled scripts on fake profiles..., because there Is no way for us to know if it is or not. It was only after filling, and reviewing, that we found out that celebrities has been filling scripts under aliases unknown. It wasn't out right fraud..., as addresses are same, DOB matches..., but names are different. The meds filled were not controls.

Thanks, I must had been tired when I was going through it.....

Did you find anything about asking for ID on regular prescriptions? I am going to email my board of pharmacy about policy on ID-ing regular prescriptions.
It's not addressed directly, but could be deemed necessary to ensure other requirements are met. It falls into the realm of "professional judgement".

When I first got to this store (early last year), my techs warned me about him and how rude he can be.
I never really interact with him much just to avoid any conflict. The first concern I had about him was that he love to call in scripts for himself. I understand calling in script for yourself every once in a while and in an emergency situation but this is a habit for this doctor. Even when he has another doctor calls in script for him, he will authorize his own refills. Well, I just ignored him just because everyone said to avoid him. It didn't take long before I noticed another concern, he calls scripts under a lady's name but comes to pick up the meds himself. Every single time he calls in prescriptions for this lady, he shows up himself to pick them up. This went on for about a year until 2 weeks ago. When he came in to pick up the Z Pak he called in under this lady's name, I told him that I need a proof that this patient exist. So he either bring her in next time or bring me her ID or I'm not going to dispense anymore script that he calls in under that name. He looked at me in disbelief that I even have the audacity to say that to him.
Well, 2 days ago he called in Medrol dose Pak for the same lady. After getting all the information, I reminded him that I need to see the lady's ID before he can pick up the medication . He went off on me on the phone and demanded to speak to the manager. I transferred him to the shift leader on duty. He called me every name in the book and was threatening fire and brimstone. The SL told him that the pharmacist has the final say and that there's really nothing she can do. He showed up like 45 minutes later with the lady's ID but went to bring the SL to come get his prescription because he does want to look at my face . After picking up the script, he gave the SL a name and ask her to keep it because that person is from the state board and will be contacting her soon because he as reported me to the state board
My concern wasn't just that he picks up this lady's meds, there's no history of any other doctor on her profile in two years. He called in every single prescription on file for her including controls. She also doesn't have insurance so he enrolled her in the PSC. He claims that the lady who is supposed to be in her fifties is bedridden . He has called in everything from contraceptives to controls for her and picked them up himself. He is a plastic surgeon .

Nothing, this guy is an a$$hole. I would have told him to expect communication from his Board as well.

You are right....

My store is high volume so I dont question validity of profiles. I ask for IDs on controls, and document it on hardcopy along with checking state PMP for controls. I have never asked for ID on regular prescriptions and wouldn't know which profiles are fake or not unless someone mentioned it.

My partners and I filled scripts on fake profiles..., because there Is no way for us to know if it is or not. It was only after filling, and reviewing, that we found out that celebrities has been filling scripts under aliases unknown. It wasn't out right fraud..., as addresses are same, DOB matches..., but names are different. The meds filled were not controls.

The celebrities situation is also different because they didn't call in those prescriptions for themselves. There is still a doctor somewhere that decides what they are getting except they use aliases to protect their identity. This doctor doesn't have that problem because he does have his own profile. He just figured he can't call in controls for himself so why not have a fake profile to call them in. Throw in some zpak and Medrol dose Pak every once in a while to make it less suspicious. I'm not fooled.

If he's having iffy prescribing, prescribing out of scope and possibly engaging in shady business it may be worth alerting your state board of medical examiners as well. If he's calling in controls for this patient that would be a huge red flag for me. Is this plastic surgeon acting as a bedridden woman's primary care provider and trying to treat several illnesses outside of his scope?

Technically residency and specialization is voluntary and state medical boards grant nearly all physicians in good standing, regardless of specialty, a full and unrestricted license to practice "medicine and surgery" so it's not really your concern whether to determine if his prescriptions are related to plastic surgery or not because even if they aren't, he has a license to practice as a generalist if he wants to. His specialty board, on the other hand, might not like that (ABMS boards, for him ABPS, are not governmental.)

So would I LMFAO.

Please tell me this guy is also a dinosaur because that's how I'm picturing this and it's hilarious.

Did you get a nose job?

Technically residency and specialization is voluntary and state medical boards grant nearly all physicians in good standing, regardless of specialty, a full and unrestricted license to practice "medicine and surgery" so it's not really your concern whether to determine if his prescriptions are related to plastic surgery or not because even if they aren't, he has a license to practice as a generalist if he wants to. His specialty board, on the other hand, might not like that (ABMS boards, for him ABPS, are not governmental.)

If its a controlled drug, we are talking about the DEA...and they say all controls must be prescribed for a legitimate medical purpose in the usual course of their practice. Which is a huge gray area leading to the more cautious and conservative pharmacists to question the legality.

Safe and appropriate use of medications is something a pharmacist is charged with and we can refuse to fill if we feel it's not ethical/safe/monitored appropriately. When it comes to controls that's a whole other ballpark.

I've filled meds for MD's writing things for their kids like a zpak. However, I will not fill self-prescribed ambien as I've refused to do before.

Stopped reading after a while, but with all do respect, who really cares if he is picking up zpaks and medrol dose packs illegitimately. When he starts going for the controls then I would have a problem.