doctor working as nurse-???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello -I amm so glad that you answered me so fast and completely . This way is though but glorious and i think i'm gonna follow it but i have another question -since it will be complex (and even impossible for me to have all this money at immediate and a dont think that here i can find the best books for preparing for all the exams and the last but not the least i won't be able to keep up with the stream of constantly changing requrements) is it possible with my doctors diploma to work as a nurse in US till i get used to the surrounding environement- here in my country it is possible and ihave been working as a nurse for about a year. I will be so grateful if you answer me ! Thank in advance1

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by richie:
hello -is it possible with my doctors diploma to work as a nurse in US till i get used to the surrounding environement- here in my country it is possible and ihave been working as a nurse for about a year. I will be so grateful if you answer me ! Thank in advance1

I do not believe so. In the US to work as a nurse you must be licensed as one. I am not sure what this would require although there are several Nurses which haunt this web site so perhaps they can give you more detailed information. I would suggest posting this question on the Everyone Forum so that it may be seen by a wider variety of individuals.

Many foreign trained physicians come to this country and work menial jobs while awaiting ECFMG certification. There are other medical jobs which you could do, however, they also require at least some minimal training - this would include things like phlebotomist, medical assistant, medical research, etc. There is a fairly active BB for IMGs and perhaps some of those denizens can give you advice on working while in the US. I'll look up the URL and post it here later.

As for getting the books to study for the USMLE exams, they are all available from on-line book stores, so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Hope this helps...

In order to work as a nurse you need a nursing license. To get a nursing license you must pass the NCLEX. To sit for the NCLEX you must have graduated from a nursing program accredited by the NLN or a foreign prgram accepted by the governing body for foreign nursing graduates. (Can't recall the name / acronym now, but it's similar to the USFMG.) Some states -may- have exceptions, but I doubt it since nurses have state to state reciprocity in all 50 states. That indicates similar standards for licensure.

----------
PSCOM in 2001!