PhD/PsyD Doctoral Programs Which Consider Masters GPA Over Undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabgab

Graduate Student in Clinical Psychology
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been on this hunt for a long time now, and I have yet to find any concrete answers so I am hoping that someone here might be have gone through what I am about to describe... And maybe suggest some tips to send me in the right direction?

I'm 28 years old and currently completing a Masters in Psychology at a small private school (used to be affiliated with Adler School of Professional Psychology Chicago back in the day but has since gone independent) in Toronto, Canada. I have a really crappy undergrad (double major in bio and psych) GPA (2.9 / 4.0 scale), but a much nicer masters (clinical psychology) GPA (3.9 / 4.0). I would love to complete a doctoral program so that I may achieve my dream of being a clinical psychologist. I am looking to complete either a PsyD or PhD, although I am more practically-oriented and would most likely thrive within a PsyD program or a PhD program with a heavy clinical approach.

Does anyone know of any doctoral programs that will consider my masters GPA over my undergrad? It really is not a true reflection of my capabilities. I have been working as a research assistant at the University of Toronto for the last 3 years performing extensive clinical assessments and am hoping to submit my masters' thesis for publication to a high-impact journal. I know I will excel in a doctoral program, I just need someplace to believe in me!

I am willing to go to programs in Canada, the USA, anywhere abroad and even with an online program if it is reputable and it can allow me to apply for registration in Canada. So far, I have narrowed my options down to the following:

• Memorial University, Newfoundland, Canada (PsyD) - NB: I don't even know if they are even taking students for 2015 because they chose not to in 2014...
  • Adler Professional School of Psychology, Vancouver, Canada or Chicago, USA (PsyD) - NB: It sucks you can only apply to one of these programs and not both!
  • Fielding Graduate University, California, USA (PhD) - NB: Online, I know, but at least it's APA accredited

...and this is where my list of possibilities ends. Is anyone able to suggest anywhere else that I have yet to come across where I may actually have a chance at being accepted?

Thank you so much in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know, thanks! But I guess no advice as to better options? Or should I just not even bother with pursuing a doctorate program with my history?

We're going to need more info to say anything. Also, sounds like you're looking in Canada, most of us don't know those programs, although there are a couple posters on here that may help. I would suggest adding more info and posting in the WAMC thread.

Why aren't you applying to traditional Ph.D. programs in Canada? There are lots of balanced PhD programs here, and if you get good letters from your supervisors at U of T you might have a shot. I'd at least consider this option.

Memorial might be an okay fit. Avoid Adler and Fielding. In general, you should not be paying for a Ph.D. in Psychology in North America. Apply to fully-funded programs.