Doctors not good enough to marry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mabindaby

Still Alive
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.denverpost.com/askamy

A doctor who is "nice, respectful, and makes our daughter happy" is not good enough for the family because "all we can see is his lack of military service".

I had never realized that such infuriatingly bigoted and narrow minded people could actually exist. There are two things this woman clearly does not comprehend:

1) It is her daughter's life. Just because she cannot imagine him as her son-in-law, doesn't mean her daughter can't imagine him as her husband.

2) Doctors don't magically become entitled to live in the "lap of luxury". There is something called school, work, grades etc...you know?

How exactly is he "throwing their sacrifice in their face"? By existing? By having the gall to date their daughter? The mom concedes that he has no major character flaws and makes their daughter happy. That should be all that matters. What if he was a plumber? A teacher? A congressman? Is she trying to say that no one but a military man is good enough for their family? See, shouldn't even be about "the family". What about your daughter?

Apparently, doctors "live in the lap of luxury", having done nothing to deserve the money that they make. Nevermind the years of TOILING, SLAVING, AND ASS KISSING to put them through 11+ years of school, only to end up with over $250,000 of debt, $200,000 of interest for the next 15 years of your life.

"Why should this young man get to go to school until his late 20s"? Nobody GETS to go to med school, like it's some kind of right. You know how you become a doctor? BY WORKING YOUR ASS OFF. Why does he "live a totally comfortable and entitled life while other young men leave their families?" He choose to go to school and your son chose to become a soldier. That's why. Bed's made. ****ING SLEEP IN IT.

Good luck mom. I'm sorry you don't like the "message" a doctor would send to your future grandkids.

Man, that woman really pissed me off. :mad: Sorry, I just needed to blow off some steam.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, or even a medical student but as someone who aspires to one day go to medical school, I feel I do have some idea of what it takes to get there. Pulled the stats off KevinMD's blog. Yes, it does not represent all people. No, I do not hate the military.There is a huge Air Force presence in my city and kudos and power to you. I do however, hate bigotry and stupidity.

Members don't see this ad.

I had never realized that such infuriatingly bigoted and narrow minded people could actually exist.

Really? You'll (probably) soon realize that these people are much more common than you think. This woman, although delusional and bigoted, is really not that surprising.

I'm not sure what's more amusing, the article itself or how much it pisses you off :D

Members don't see this ad :)
you're preaching to the choir. Lots of people hate on doctors for various reasons -- that they make too much money is a pretty common reason. The reasons this mom gave doesn't surprise me at all. What can you do?

oddly enough the only thing I could think of while reading this is "amys kinda hot"

you're preaching to the choir. Lots of people hate on doctors for various reasons -- that they make too much money is a pretty common reason. The reasons this mom gave doesn't surprise me at all. What can you do?

Its funny how the general public hates success.

Public opinion shows strong hate towards CEOs and all successful people who make >100k/year. There are some interesting articles/book on the role that money plays psychologically and its correlation with perceived self-worth.

There's always a lot of hate towards anyone with money who isn't a philanthropist, because they automatically become "greedy." Anyone who makes >100k makes "too much" money according to bottom 50%.

I cant believe this is happening. Thanks for sharing OP. Lets all fight against bigotry and injustice that doctors face.

I'm not sure what's more amusing, the article itself or how much it pisses you off :D

Dude, I was steamed, lol. Now if only I could channel that energy towards my homework... :laugh:

Really? You'll (probably) soon realize that these people are much more common than you think. This woman, although delusional and bigoted, is really not that surprising.

I didn't mean it like "Oh, I'm so innocent! There are such people in the world?". I meant it like "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" Haha, I guess I should watching my wording. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
While she is very narrow-minded and completely uninformed as to what is entailed in practicing medicine, I don't think MOST schooling holds a candle to real-world work, even schooling as difficult as ours. Where else are you told exactly what is expected of you, given everything you are responsible for, and are mainly responsible for just returning said material in examination form at certain intervals?

Obviously, clerkships and residencies are a whole 'nother story, but like I said, she's uninformed. She clearly doesn't think about that side of medical school, only the lecture component that is fundamentally alike all the schooling she and her family probably ever completed. And, like I said, is very "easy", compared to actual jobs.

She should be more civil, and work to understand her very-possibly-future son-in-law's background. But myopic as her perspective is, I don't see unfounded hatred, envy, or bitterness in it. Just saturated ignorance...with a small kernel of truth smothered in the middle. =/

If this was a snail-mail-advice-column-troll, I am thoroughly impressed. Otherwise I pity this poor woman who must still be in the throes of some serious grief.

My best friend fits the bill, but she found a Mudphud already.

If this was a snail-mail-advice-column-troll, I am thoroughly impressed. Otherwise I pity this poor woman who must still be in the throes of some serious grief.

Even though her views were crazy, I think this was overlooked.

If this is a troll, amazing. Assuming it isn't the parents are shmucks. I would serve to defend my country if need be, but it's been a while since we've had a justified war. Afghanistan may have been initially justified, but more as a limited action against Al Qaeda what we're still doing there is beyond comprehension. I don't support our interventionalist foreign policy and wouldn't want to be a pawn in it.