"Doctors with out Borders" and D.O.'s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillfocused

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if "Doctors without Borders" now accepts American Trained D.O.'s? I thought that I heard that they didn't. But, what if you have done well on the USMLE?

I have seen something about "D.O. Cares," an AOA international medicince NGO. It looks like they only operate in Latin America.

It seems like the AOA is concentrating on Latin America to extend the American model of Osteopathic Medicine. Wasn't there some tallk a year or two ago about opening a school the Domincan Republic? What is the status of that project.

Has anyone done an international medicine rotation as part of 3rd or 4th year? If so, how did it go? Where did you go? Who did you work with?

Members don't see this ad.

I can answer some parts of your question. NSUCOM was supposed to be working on that project (launching an osteopathic medical school in the Dominican Republic). Perhaps contacting them or Dr. Douglas Ward of the A.O.A. might give you more direct answers, rather than speculation. He is the chairman of International Health Programs there.

I will be doing the DOCARE rotation in about a week and a half in Guatemala. I will post again and tell you how it went. I am not sure about the other program, but I had never heard of there being a problem with them accepting D.O.'s. Hope this helps. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I know of PCOM students doing rotations in India and Israel, so it's definitely possible to do an international rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
KCOM is starting a rotation site in Belize. I have heard of many students doing elective overseas rotations that they established, also.

I was interviewing at COMP last week and the student tour guide mentioned that Doctors Without Borders came to present (recruit?) to DO students. I didn't ask for details so that's all I know, but I don't think DWB would waste their time doing that if they didn't take DO volunteers.