Doctors Without Borders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerbernator

Retired
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any physicians who volunteered with MSF? How does that work? How long to you volunteer and is there any pay at all (if not how do you pay bills in the time you are gone)?

Members don't see this ad.

Cerbernator said:
Does anyone have any physicians who volunteered with MSF? How does that work? How long to you volunteer and is there any pay at all (if not how do you pay bills in the time you are gone)?

I have heard a little about them. I think that you volunteer for only 2 weeks at a time. So, you shouldn't have to worry about your bills

PS It is Doctors without Borders, not Boarders.

bugger said:
I have heard a little about them. I think that you volunteer for only 2 weeks at a time. So, you shouldn't have to worry about your bills

PS It is Doctors without Borders, not Boarders.

lol, good call.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what their website says, they want experience and do not take students. :( They really do wonderful work the world over and are big advocates of global equity.

Speaking of Doctors Without Borders, I recently bought the DVD of Beyond Borders and I loved it. I think the reason it didn't do so well in the theaters is because U.S. citizens generally don't pay $10 a ticket to be reminded how good we have it and how much suffering is going on in other parts of the world.

Fortunately I decided to watch this film regardless of the reviews because Angelina Jolie is in it and I think she is just great!

Anyway, it was a very touching story and even included some history. Granted, it was sad and disturbing to be reminded of starvation in war torn countries, I feel a little more well rounded having watched it.

I highly recommend it!

P.S. I also hope to be able to do international medical relief work on a volunteer basis one day as a physician.