Documentary photography

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerLilies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Documentary photography is one of my hobbies. So I was wondering what I can I do with it? In order to list in on an app do I have to have it published or win awards?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

put it on your app (awards dont matter)...shows well-roundenesses!!! that's really unique...maybe you can do some photography art for me haha

I put all of my hobbies (guitar, surfing, etc) under one activity titled hobbies. That could work for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need a perfect snapshot of Seattle! Is that possible?

I listed it and talked about it a lot, but photojournalism was my second major, so I had done a lot of projects and workshops and been published. It really helped a LOT on my app, bc in addition to having a degree in Microbio with tons of research exp, I was able to talk about how studying photojournalism allowed me to get out of the lab, meet people from all walks of life, and that it would help me be a better doc bc in order to be a good photojournalist and be non-invasive and respectful, people have to trust you to document the most intimate aspects of their lives. (I truly believe this, its not just essay BS) and that as a doc gaining the trust of your patients is very important, etc, I had already been around a lot of kids with special needs, abused kids and spouses, and had had a lot of exp with the social aspects of docu. photog.

and it allowed me to travel a lot, I have interviewed some famous photogs, and in general I think that besides all the fun and true benefit to my life outside medicine, as far as looking "good" for med schools or whatever, it def made me unique. i was asked about it in every interview, but like I said, I had done a lot of projects and stuff.

but include it, and think about how it has let you see a lot of different types of peeps you would miss out on if you spent all your free time in a lab with the same people all the time. bring it back to medicine (if your exp allows it)

good luck

You don't have to published or anything. I had photography on my app and I ended up talking about it at interviews. I think it would help to show it or do something organized, though. You could see if there's a school show you could do it or even take it to a gallery. Good luck.

TigerLilies said:
Documentary photography is one of my hobbies. So I was wondering what I can I do with it? In order to list in on an app do I have to have it published or win awards?

thanks

Definitely list it. Just be sure you can talk the talk. Sometimes astute adcoms try to match interviewers with unusual things on your app. More than a few folks have been caught having to prove that they speak unusual languages etc.