Does 1st DUI offense destroy your chance of medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I got in a little trouble and did something stupid. Basically, I got my first DUI. Now I've been working very hard to get into medical school and am wondering if this is all not worth it. I know that the first DUI is considered a civil offense, and I noticed on the AAMCAS applicatin they require you to inform them of any felonies. So does this mean they'll never know that I have a dui? People, dont' be like me, don't drink and drive. It has basically ruined my entire semester already.
concerned

Members don't see this ad.

I got a DUI in 95 and was accepted to an in-state school to which I reported the incident. In my case I interviewed a couple of times at my instate schools, didn't and didn't make the cut. I decided to get a master's in physiology, got to know some of the medical school faculty, and was just accepted this year. A first time DUI is a mideameanor. Most schools will ask if you have ever been arreseted and ask you to explain. I think if you can convince them that you are truly sorry and that it will never happen again you should be okay provided you give evidence of being an otherwise upstanding citizen (i.e. volunteer work).

Thanks, will they be asking if I've been arrested in the secondary app or just in the interview? Do you think top schools will look really bad onthis?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
GOOD QUESTION. UNDERSTAND THAT DOCTORS ARE HUMANS AND MAKE MISTAKES JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE. IN MY OPINION THIS INCIDENT SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY BEARING ON YOUR CANDIDANCY. HOWEVER, THIS IS MY OPININON. I REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW AD COMMS REACT TO THIS. MANY SCHOOLS WILL NEVER KNOW ABOUT IT BECAUSE THEY SIMPLY DON'T ASK IN THIER SECONDARIES; HOWEVER, QUITE A FEW ASK: "HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF ANY CRIMINAL OFFENCES OTHER THAN MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS? IF SO, PLEASE EXPLAIN." IN THIS CASE, YOU'LL HAVE TO INCLUDE THE DUI. MY FRIEND HAD A SIMILAR DILEMA, HE RECIEVED INTERVIEWS AND ACCEPTANCES FROM SCHOOLS THAT DIDN'T ASK ABOUT IT ON THE SECONDARY, AND HE HASN'T HEARD FROM THE THREE SCHOOLS HE NEEDED TO INCLUDE IT ON THE SECONDARY. IT'S STILL EARLY, BUT HE'S THINKING IS THAT THE DUI HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE DELAY AT THESE PARTICULAR SCHOOLS.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS. HALFWAY THROUGH IT I REALIZED I HAD THE CAPS LOCKED.

Hey thanks a lot. I would hate for all my effort to be thrown down the drain. I just better apply to more schools than I thought and hope a lot of these don't ask about arrests. But I'm prepared to answer the question in a way that shows how sorry I am about the situation. i guess i just better start saving up money for all those damn applications