Does a committee letter count as one LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physics Guy1421

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a post bac student and have applied once. For my first application I used a committee letter written by my pre-health advisor consisting of 3 letters from other prof's. Now I want to add some additional LOR's from my post bac courses but wondering about the limit.

So if I have a committee letter written based on 3 LOR's does it count as 1 LOR or 3 LOR's?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I was planning on having a committee letter which is composed of the pre-health advisor writing the letter based on 2 science professors evaluations and 2 LOR's from another bio prof and a dentist. Is that too many?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 5 LOR in my committee packet...is that too many?

I have 5 LOR in my committee packet...is that too many?
It doesn't matter how many letters (within reason) are in the committee packet. A committee letter still counts as 3 LOR if you submit it to AADSAS.

committee letter is a composite letter. It could be composite of 2 or even 8 LORs.

A committee letter alone will fulfill your LOR requirements.

A committee letter alone will fulfill your LOR requirements.

My real question is I have a composite committee letter of 3 LOR's from prof's. Now as a post bac at a different university, I have met some new professors whom I'd like to have write letters.

Is there any way to still use the composite letter but add some more current LOR's that are not part of the composite letter?

My real question is I have a composite committee letter of 3 LOR's from prof's. Now as a post bac at a different university, I have met some new professors whom I'd like to have write letters.

Is there any way to still use the composite letter but add some more current LOR's that are not part of the composite letter?

Why bother with additional recommendation letters aside from the composite letter? If you want to include that the composite letter is going to have to be rewritten to include the new LORs.

Why bother with additional recommendation letters aside from the composite letter? If you want to include that the composite letter is going to have to be rewritten to include the new LORs.

Excellent point, I did not consider having the new letters incorporated into the composite letter. The reason I want additional LOR's is that I am a math and physics major and the LOR's used for my composite letter were from math and physics professors. Now that I'm taking upper level bio as a post bac and doing well I'd like to include letters from biology prof's.

But heres one last question you might be able to answer. My committee letter is from one university and the new LOR's I'm considering using are from prof's at a different university. Could I have the committee from my undergrad university use these new letters to rewrite a new composite letter?

I know at my university they did that, My outside LOR were mailed to my university where they put it all in one packet.

I know at my university they did that, My outside LOR were mailed to my university where they put it all in one packet.

thanks thats a great idea, I hope my committee will do that!