Does a double major play a role?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ron Mexico

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in how schools view you?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
well my gpa isnt that great. but since im taking a much heavier courseload for the two majors, i was hopeing that it would be taken into consideration.

It would be... especially if you are doing a double degree (ie. BS and BA)

I think it only counts if you do well. You can't use it as an excuse for a lower GPA - whatever you pick, you're expected to do well in it.

well im not doing terrible, i'll prolly end up with around a 3.3

BrettBatchelor said:
I asked this earlier and the consensus is that it doesn't make a difference since it is pretty common place these days.

Yeah pretty much, thanks for re-passing the word Brett. I had a double major, no one cared really.

Here's an interesting take on it though. While the fact that you got two degrees doesn't matter, if one degree is in science and the other is in an interesting or unusual field then it makes you look like a pretty interesting person who also enjoys science.

izibo said:
I did a double degree (chemE and MCB) and it killed my GPA. I had basically two labs courses each semester and an average of 18 units, plus a job on the side. How do I make the adcoms see that?

i dont think it matters all that much. lets face it, med school admission process is numbers game. you need that GPA and that MCAT score. if you dont make the cut, you wont go into the next round. you can be any major and as long as you have those magic numbers, you will likely get noticed.

Med schools do view double majors favorably, though they also like high GPA's in the majors. I found stats for double majors and single majors in one of the med school admission books when I was researching schools last year.

So what's the consesus? A double major is good only if your GPA is good in both? Is there a book or something online that gives you stats for percentage of double majors accepted to med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did a double major - biochemistry/cell biology and spanish/latin american literature, seemed to be looked at favorably by admissions, every interviewer asked something about lit. Yea, the corse load was heavier during the 4 years, but I had fun with both majors and I figure I got my money's worth. :D

To answer your question-

They do look at corse load, as well as need to work/etc, as modifiers that affect your gpa. However, you better hope to have an good MCAT to back you up.

i agree to an extent. there is a big "cut and dry" factor. my overall gpa held up, but my double majors were neuroscience and bio. a lot of classes overlapped, so it doesn't mean as much as say, a double in history and neuro. they do look at how much you accomplish at once, and pay attention to how well you did. it should add up - hopefully in your favor, if it's really what you love (and you show you're good at it :) grades always come into play).

ernieraisin said:
i dont think it matters all that much. lets face it, med school admission process is numbers game. you need that GPA and that MCAT score. if you dont make the cut, you wont go into the next round. you can be any major and as long as you have those magic numbers, you will likely get noticed.

izibo said:

I agree. If you do two science majors, it just makes you look like a science geek. But if you add a major in the humanities, you appear more well-rounded.

domukin said:
Did a double major - biochemistry/cell biology and spanish/latin american literature, seemed to be looked at favorably by admissions, every interviewer asked something about lit. Yea, the corse load was heavier during the 4 years, but I had fun with both majors and I figure I got my money's worth. :D

To answer your question-

They do look at corse load, as well as need to work/etc, as modifiers that affect your gpa. However, you better hope to have an good MCAT to back you up.
Right. When it comes to the interview, it just might help you. Before that, probably not. After all, I think anyone would be impressed if you were a triple major in Mechanical Engineering, Dance, and Comparative Ancient Religion, all while completing the pre-med requirements. Especially if you did it in three years.

I think if it seems that you have a genuine interest in your other major, given it's non-science, it shows you are well-rounded and have a passion in something besides the hard core sciences, and will prolly help you out at some point in your application (non-science research, writing your ps, interview question, etc).

I am finishing up my double in animal physiology & neuroscience and anthropological archaeology, and I really liked being able to take a break from bio sometimes and do some writing, or vice versa. I was hoping to go on a dig this summer, but darn the unpredictability of this whole application process! I hate just having to sit and wait :p

that's sort of what i mean - it's all relative. i had dbl majors in neuro and bio with minors in psych and chem.... all in 3 years. yeah they are all science-y, but in those three years (on top of the 2 mjrs/2mnrs) i took several english classes, philosophy, religion, dance, theater, history, math, french, italian classes, etc... EVERYTHING matters

is a 3.3 too low for medical school. man, i wish i did better during my second year.

PostalWookie said:
I think it only counts if you do well. You can't use it as an excuse for a lower GPA - whatever you pick, you're expected to do well in it.

Actually if you pick a harder major like engineering, they're a bit merciful, GPA wise. On the other hand, if you majored in French and your transcript indicates you were on academic probation, that'll raise more than a couple eyebrows.

how about my bioengineering and religious studies dual degree? Am I almost asking to get set up for controversial questions in my interview?

jammin06 said:
how about my bioengineering and religious studies dual degree? Am I almost asking to get set up for controversial questions in my interview?

No. An engineering + humanities degree makes for an awesome application. It shows your well-rounded.

Ron Mexico said:
is a 3.3 too low for medical school. man, i wish i did better during my second year.

Not necessarilly too low if you totally crank on the MCAT and have strong ECs, and ideally live in the right state. If not, at least it's nothing that can't be fixed by getting A's in a 5th year or a postbac.

ive been checking some schools like temple who have avgs of like 3.5. that means they must be letting in ppl with 3.3 or so rite?

Neurolemma said:
No. An engineering + humanities degree makes for an awesome application. It shows your well-rounded.

hehe, awesome enough to make up for the sub-par bcpm?

jammin06 said:
hehe, awesome enough to make up for the sub-par bcpm?

Well, you don't want to go too low on that. The average is what, 3.5? A high MCAT score should balance it out.

Neurolemma said:
Well, you don't want to go too low on that. The average is what, 3.5? A high MCAT score should balance it out.

3.44 overall, 3.33 bcpm, 30q

jammin06 said:
3.44 overall, 3.33 bcpm, 30q

I don't think having a double major gives one advantage over another if your gpa isn't equally high as the person with one major and good MCAT scores. But it is interesting to pursue if you really want to learn about those two different subject matters.

However, you may get in somewhere with those stats this year, and if you don't.......there's always SMP programs to consider, which allow you to take first year med classes.

gujuDoc said:
I don't think having a double major gives one advantage over another if your gpa isn't equally high as the person with one major and good MCAT scores. But it is interesting to pursue if you really want to learn about those two different subject matters.

However, you may get in somewhere with those stats this year, and if you don't.......there's always SMP programs to consider, which allow you to take first year med classes.

with an smp, you take the 1st yr classes and then when you get into med school, youhave to take them again?

Ron Mexico said:
with an smp, you take the 1st yr classes and then when you get into med school, youhave to take them again?

I don't know how all the SMP programs work in terms of retaking the classes when you officially start medical school, but I know with Georgetown's progra you only have to retake some of them but not all of them.

ernieraisin said:
Yeah, but my MCAT was great--it just doesn't match my GPA. Usually, high MCAT and low GPA is thought to mean "lazy." In my case, my courseload shows I wasn't lazy, just overextended; and my MCAT shows I still learned.