Does a hospital know if you dual apply in their system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of dual applying psych and FM, but there's a specific (large) city that I want to stay in. If I apply to both psych and FM at the same teaching hospital will they know that I dual applied to 2 residencies in their system? I would do that for all of the programs in my city if I'm not likely to get caught.

Members don't see this ad.

Very unlikely. Only the individual residency programs will know that you're applying to them, and I highly doubt the individual programs are going to invest the time/money necessary to cross-reference their lists of applicants to figure out if anyone is applying to multiple programs. Gigantic waste of time from the perspective of the programs.

Of course, you may run into people from the other program if you doing in-person interview days, but you can't really help that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your application seems geared towards one specialty, the other specialty might ask you about that, so be prepared for that question. Although I’d imagine for FM, they get a lot of people applying as a backup.

If your application seems geared towards one specialty, the other specialty might ask you about that, so be prepared for that question. Although I’d imagine for FM, they get a lot of people applying as a backup.
It is technically a violation of the match to ask if you are applying to other specialties. They could still ask you but you don't have to answer.

The information is definitely not readily available - the only people who have access are the PD/PC and they arent ever going to spend time to cross reference applicants with other departments. As others have mentioned the only main risk is running into people from the other specialty during an in-person interview.

It could become known but PDs probably don’t bother to check and oftentimes don’t even talk amongst each other.

Reactions: 1 user
ERAS doesn't notify a program of any other program you apply to (regardless of specialty or institution) and NRMP rules technically forbid programs from asking where else you applied. But programs at the same institution can coincidently find out. It's unlikely (but not impossible) that PDs from 2 departments may know each other way and thus talk and share applicant lists. It's also possible that you may be seen on interview for one specialty by faculty of the other specialty. The most likely scenario for finding out is simply by looking at your ECs and publications on your ERAS app (and you can only submit one ERAS application per cycle to all your programs, and only sections you can tailor to individual programs are LORs and personal statements).

For example, if you have a ton of psych research and publications on your ERAS app many FM programs will automatically suspect you're double applying to Psych and probably won't believe you if you say otherwise on interview day. Also, when someone applies to 2 specialties with clearly very different levels of competitiveness, programs in the less competitive specialty will automatically assume the more competitive specialty is your first choice and the less competitive specialty is your back-up.

Very unlikely. Only the individual residency programs will know that you're applying to them, and I highly doubt the individual programs are going to invest the time/money necessary to cross-reference their lists of applicants to figure out if anyone is applying to multiple programs. Gigantic waste of time from the perspective of the programs.

Of course, you may run into people from the other program if you doing in-person interview days, but you can't really help that.
Not much of an issue considering it’s online again.

I will say this: If anyone from another program at the same hospital sees you in your black suit on the interview day at the hospital for a different program, you're caught.

Reactions: 1 user