Does a low MCAT score call your GPA into question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollSkins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get someone else's opinon on this. I have heard that if you get a average to low MCAT score (say a 28 or 29) that it can cause Medical schools to question your GPA if you went to a school that they don't know that much about. You see I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I have a good GPA (about a 3.85 BCMP) and since I go to a small, relatively unheard of private school (Southern Adventist University) I was wondering if they would question my GPA if I got under a 30 on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

A 28 or a 29 with a strong GPA paints a picture of a reasonably intelligent and hard-working student.
I would guess that only when the MCAT score begins to approach the average (26 or lower) that the GPA becomes questionable and chances for admission begin to plummet.

I wanted to get someone else's opinon on this. I have heard that if you get a average to low MCAT score (say a 28 or 29) that it can cause Medical schools to question your GPA if you went to a school that they don't know that much about. You see I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I have a good GPA (about a 3.85 BCMP) and since I go to a small, relatively unheard of private school (Southern Adventist University) I was wondering if they would question my GPA if I got under a 30 on the MCAT.

If life is fair it should. I have friends that go to schools where the average GPA is like a 3.8 for med applicants but the average MCAT is a 24. My school is the exact opposite, average applicant GPA is 3.4 and MCAT is around 34. The MCAT is very useful in this instance because it shows that the desparity in GPA is more about institution than applicant ability.

a 28 and a 4.0 would make me wonder
just like a 3.3 and a 38 would

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the average gpa of people applying from my school is probably about a 3.65. Most people have reasonable MCAT scores, probably an average of 29 but really anywhere from 24 to 34. I don't really think it will hurt me that much but someone mentioned it and I wanted a second opinion. I guess I am just worried when medical schools look at my application they will be like, well he has a good GPA and average MCAT (I haven't taken it yet so hopefully I will score high and this discussion will be irrevelant) but where the hell is this school that he did undergrad?

More likely...

"Where the hell did he do his undergrad? Oh, but he scored a 28-29, so he must be reasonably bright."

Your MCAT score doesn't need to validate your school, it just has to validate you. A 28-29 is a good score, so don't worry too much, just don't plan on attending Wash U.

*Validation only referring to application validation as opposed to spiritual, emotional, self-esteem, etc...*

I would say the average gpa of people applying from my school is probably about a 3.65. Most people have reasonable MCAT scores, probably an average of 29 but really anywhere from 24 to 34. I don't really think it will hurt me that much but someone mentioned it and I wanted a second opinion. I guess I am just worried when medical schools look at my application they will be like, well he has a good GPA and average MCAT (I haven't taken it yet so hopefully I will score high and this discussion will be irrevelant) but where the hell is this school that he did undergrad?

I come from a small (and mostly unheard of) school too. As long as your school is accredited (is it?), there shouldn't be a problem. Rock the MCAT and represent yourself as well as your school.

Yeah my school is accredited. It is a pretty good school, in my opinion, just realtively unheard of. I guess I am just trying to make sure that I don't have anything that will screw me on my application. I am probably just paranoid about not getting in. I guess everyone probably is, it would suck to put as much work in as most of us have, up to this point, and not get in.

I am probably just paranoid

Yep, me too.

It feels so nice to really just relax. Once the MCAT is over, and it's spring time), it's straight chillin until I have to work my ass of for another four years.

I think as long as you're not too deviant it wouldnt be an issue. Some people are better standardized test-takers than others, and some just flat out have bad days.

Now on the contrary, do you think the <3.5, >35 people would have their work ethic questioned?

I think as long as you're not too deviant it wouldnt be an issue. Some people are better standardized test-takers than others, and some just flat out have bad days.

Now on the contrary, do you think the <3.5, >35 people would have their work ethic questioned?

absolutely yes, an interviewer once told me that it is easier to be lucky on the MCAt than with the GPA. High , Low, Mcat/GPA combinations have their strong and weak points.

my GPA's 3.80 but my MCAT score is 30.. I go to a big state school that isn't considered difficult.

I'm agonizing over whether I should retake the MCAT this spring or not. Any advice??

my GPA's 3.80 but my MCAT score is 30.. I go to a big state school that isn't considered difficult.

I'm agonizing over whether I should retake the MCAT this spring or not. Any advice??

apply boradly. if your EC's are good you'll be fine. Don't retake unless you are confident you can do better or if it was an uneven spread.

apply boradly. if your EC's are good you'll be fine. Don't retake unless you are confident you can do better or if it was an uneven spread.

Unfortunately my ECs aren't so great. I have a very short shadowing experience, some Red Cross volunteering, and little bits of other researches. (engineering-related, as I'm an engineering major)

As for whether I feel like I can do better, I'm debating. :laugh: I was expecting 32-33 but I ended up getting a 30. If I study my ass off, I feel like I can do a little bit better. But then again, who wouldn't, with sufficient studying?:D

I'm in the same boat as you. My GPA is 3.95 but I only got a 30 because of an uneven distribution (verbal killed me)
I really don't want to take this thing again but I'm afraid I might have to. :(

Unfortunately my ECs aren't so great. I have a very short shadowing experience, some Red Cross volunteering, and little bits of other researches. (engineering-related, as I'm an engineering major)

As for whether I feel like I can do better, I'm debating. :laugh: I was expecting 32-33 but I ended up getting a 30. If I study my ass off, I feel like I can do a little bit better. But then again, who wouldn't, with sufficient studying?:D

I wouldn't retake unless I knew I was going to get a 36+. If your score came out 10/10/10 or similar then I would keep it. Work on your EC as you apply and you should be fine. Again apply broadly.

If you were expecting a 32 and ended up with a 30, I wouldn't retake. Use the time to improve your EC's, personal statement, etc.

If you were expecting a 32 and ended up with a 30, I wouldn't retake. Use the time to improve your EC's, personal statement, etc.

Haha, somehow you seem to know me better than myself.

I was shooting for 32-33 but I got a 30. Right now, I feel like if my MCAT score was 33 instead of 30, I would be a much more competitive applicant.

Is the difference between 30 and 33 fair?

Hmm retake with a 30 and a 3.8, i think thats a bad idea. What if you do worse than your screwed.

I duno i guess Im just not one of the genius boys on here.

Funny at my school everyone has a 3.6 or higher, but if you get a 30 on your MCAT everyone else thinks your a god. Guess doesnt say much for my univeristy haha.

Hmm retake with a 30 and a 3.8, i think thats a bad idea. What if you do worse than your screwed.

I duno i guess Im just not one of the genius boys on here.

Funny at my school everyone has a 3.6 or higher, but if you get a 30 on your MCAT everyone else thinks your a god. Guess doesnt say much for my univeristy haha.

It depends on distribution too. Any section less than 8 or 9 needs retake