Does a post-bacc program help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi2189

Reaction score
Hi, so I just graduated from undergraduate and I am hoping to go to medical school. I was planning on applying in June 2021 and I was going to take the MCAT in December. My question I guess is that my academic profile is not very competitive. I graduated with a 3.25 GPA with no real trend. I do have a lot of experience outside, I did a lot of volunteering, volunteering abroad, I worked as a CNA and phlebotomist, and for the past two years, I have worked as a medical scribe and I am currently the Chief Scribe in my position. I was hoping that with my experience and if I got a good MCAT score, that I would be able to apply for medical school. But now, I am starting to doubt whether my GPA would be good enough to even apply. I know post-bac programs are used to help boost your GPA, so do you think it would be better for me to just try and apply in June 2021 or try to do a post-bac program to boost my GPA before I apply for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I would start the post-bacc this fall and apply next year.

You could have a shot with a 520+ MCAT. Anything below, and I would recommend a post-bac or even an SMP.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user