Does a Professor Of Surgery count as a "science" prof?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a class at the med school on vascular disease/treatment, and it was taught by an asst. prof of surgery.

I went on to TA the class, shadow in the OR, and I'm a co-author on an abstract with this surgeon.

For those med schools that have a strict 2 science professor requirement, would they accept his as "science"?

Members don't see this ad.

I would call schools just to find out, but I would think so

Make sure that he writes "assistant professor of ................". I don't know what else they would consider him???

Members don't see this ad :)
If he taught you science then I don't see there being an issue. After all, that is the ultimate intent of the requirement.

If you actually took a science class with him, then it should be fine. But most people just shadow docs, for them, a letter from a MD attesting to their experiences in clinic would not count as a Science Prof LOR.

The class was more of an hands on workshop type elective. It only had 12 students, and we only spent 1 hour per week hearing presentations from our peers. The rest of the time was spent learning how to perform angioplasty and stenting on an endovascular simulator.

So it's not really like taking a biochemistry or genetics class.

I'm not doubting his "professor"-ness. I'm doubting whether it would count as one of my two "science" profs.

Thoughts?