Does AAMC or Medical Schools contact people from your Work/Activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clinicall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that people have been contacted; those fields on the app are not merely to bluff and scare you off from lying.

I *think* individual medical schools call whoever they want to talk to, but I would imagine there are too many apps to process to do it unless you're getting an interview. Can someone confirm or refute that?

So I'm just curious if they contact the individuals that you list in Work/Activities, since they ask for a name and contact information? I only ask because one is my current employer (and also one of my most meaningful experiences), and I have yet to tell them I'm applying to medical schools, and lets just say they would be more than upset if they were to find out I was intending on leaving them (unfortunately). Appreciate any responses. Thanks.

I know for a fact that people have been contacted; those fields on the app are not merely to bluff and scare you off from lying.

I *think* individual medical schools call whoever they want to talk to, but I would imagine there are too many apps to process to do it unless you're getting an interview. Can someone confirm or refute that?

I heard most of the time they dont contact those on the application, but even if they don't, you should take it seriously and not exaggerate a ton because the consequences are great if they do. who knows? Think of it like TSA airport random screening.

Members don't see this ad :)
They usually don't but one of mine was contacted by one medical school of mine last year. The contact decided to be a jerk to them (he is a major PITA) luckily with the other information in the description they vetted and realized I was telling the truth and chalked it up to disgruntled employer of sorts.

AAMC doesn't call. Med schools might call if something looks suspicious, but it's unlikely that a med school would call/email one of your contacts.

In any case, you will have to come clean eventually. If nothing else, if you get multiple interviews within a short space of time you will need to take frequent days off with relatively little notice. Schools don't interview on weekends...

My medical school picks one activity to follow up on for future accepted students. It happens in the time period between deciding to potentially accept an applicant and offering an acceptance. I know this because they called my contact the day before I received my acceptance. At least my school used to before the ADCOM changed. Just be honest!

Reactions: 1 users
Activities are based on the honor system. It's highly unlikely they will call, but if you they do and you are caught lying, you can probably kiss going to medical school goodbye.

I believe some schools might either do random checks on some applicants, or they will contact activities if something seems fishy.

The big thing is if something seems unrealistic/outlandish. Be honest and clear, and everything should be fairly straightforward.

So I'm just curious if they contact the individuals that you list in Work/Activities, since they ask for a name and contact information? I only ask because one is my current employer (and also one of my most meaningful experiences), and I have yet to tell them I'm applying to medical schools, and lets just say they would be more than upset if they were to find out I was intending on leaving them (unfortunately). Appreciate any responses. Thanks.

There are too many applications and too few resources for AAMC or medical schools to verify each activity on a systematic basis , but like others have said, random spot checks are possible. It's extremely unlikely that your employer will be contacted.

However, your employer might suspect something is going on when you're taking vacation and sick days left and right for interviews, and spending a lot of your time in the office working on essays and interview prep. If you're not in a position to be frank with your employer that you're pursuing medical school, then you better cover your ass carefully.

Reactions: 1 user
Something I've wondered about is what if you are being truthful but, for whatever reason, when they call your contact, he/she is dazed and confused and makes you look like you're lying

Something I've wondered about is what if you are being truthful but, for whatever reason, when they call your contact, he/she is dazed and confused and makes you look like you're lying

The person that they contacted for me to vet some non-medical volunteering, was either being a PITA or getting very forgetful. Given how he acted when I was working for him (known for being hostile and a very angry human being), the former is the most likely.

Luckily the school 1) had an old LOR from him in my file, 2) had a link to my linkedin where a second recommendation was listed from him, 3) in my EC description there was a direct link to his website where he sings my praises and repeatedly says I work for him over a three year period, and 4) I believe other references reference my work there with him.

I backed up almost every activity in my EC list with a LOR or link documenting the work.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

There is a whole investigative process that the AAMC uses to try and work through application discrepancies. I'm not familiar with the process, but I imagine you will have the opportunity to present your case. I doubt you would have any issues unless you blatantly lied about something or put down pure hyperbole. Schools aren't going to care if you actually did 170 hours instead of 200. They will care, though, if you did 50 instead of 200, or 0 instead of 200.

on the same sort of note, do you think social media checks are random/with reasonable suspicion as well?

on the same sort of note, do you think social media checks are random/with reasonable suspicion as well?

My linkedin was checked by at least two schools.

Not sure if my FB was checked but 99% of my facebook is locked down and 99% of what I do and say on Facebook cannot be considered unprofessional no matter how much of a stretch one is making.

I don't use twitter. I have an account, but I don't use it.

I do know SDN is checked.

G+, I don't know if it is checked.

I don't know if my blogs were checked. One is really locked down. The others are designed to be public.

I'm same as you on FB and twitter. I suppose they could lookup my SDN because it's the same as my email. But I dont think I have anything that could be considered inappropriate.

I have a G+ associated with my youtube account I think, but it's just videos of my hobby (appropriate lol). And everyone watches silly videos on youtube, right? SO that wouldnt' be bad? Of course I have surgery videos on there too... love that lol.

no blogs.

Put your own name down as a contact person. That's common. If they contact you, you can explain the situation to them.

A note about some of the other responses: I don't know why it is that every time this subject of "who to put as a contact person" comes up, so many people automatically assume that the OP is dishonest, a liar, etc. All people/applicants aren't evil or deceptive.

My best example: There are many situations where a student may have lost contact with key people. Students and professors are known for moving around a lot, and for moving out of town.

Another, less great, example: There are also plenty of scenarios multiple people want to take credit for an accomplishment. Examples may include, but are not limited to, patents, copyrights... (Possibly like the Zuckerberg vs. Winkelvoss dispute. Or maybe these: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ten-famous-intellectual-property-disputes-18521880/?no-ist) You may know that you accomplished something, yet someone else (perhaps a big powerful rich person or company) is trying to take credit. It would be terrible if you told the truth and owned your accomplishment, just to be inaccurately judged a "liar" due to some copyright or patent dispute (where money and quality of lawyers can determine an outcome).

Last edited:
My linkedin was checked by at least two schools.

Not sure if my FB was checked but 99% of my facebook is locked down and 99% of what I do and say on Facebook cannot be considered unprofessional no matter how much of a stretch one is making.

I don't use twitter. I have an account, but I don't use it.

I do know SDN is checked.

G+, I don't know if it is checked.

I don't know if my blogs were checked. One is really locked down. The others are designed to be public.

How is SDN checked? Do they look at usernames or go behind the scenes and look at SDN registration info?

How is SDN checked? Do they look at usernames or go behind the scenes and look at SDN registration info?
what i was thinking was looking at what email you have on registry with AMCAS then google searching the handle (i think that's the right word).

IE my email is my SDN username @emailcarrier.com so if they looked up my username, they'd find quite a bit of info about me.

We kinda make it really easy on them given we are always posting when we were verified and our stats and discussion over different schools, when we interview, etc. Plus our activities where we are, etc.

I had someone from MSU comment to me at the interview about something I said on SDN.

what i was thinking was looking at what email you have on registry with AMCAS then google searching the handle (i think that's the right word).

IE my email is my SDN username @emailcarrier.com so if they looked up my username, they'd find quite a bit of info about me.

My SDN is registered to my personal account not my professional email which is on AMCAS. Now if you know my professional email address, it takes you to 99% of my locations on the internet with the exception of SDN.

My SDN is registered to my personal account not my professional email which is on AMCAS. Now if you know my professional email address, it takes you to 99% of my locations on the internet with the exception of SDN.

I didn't think that far forward when I made this account lol. It is registered under a different domain, but same handle/username.

I didn't think that far forward when I made this account lol. It is registered under a different domain, but same handle/username.

I'm probably older than you and thus have already been burned in the past. ;)

Can you list a colleague who would keep your situation confidential? That's what I did (after clearing it with her). Your contact person need not be someone in a position of authority, although that's probably optimal; they just need to be able to verify that you did what you claim to have done.