Does Academic Medicine require research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted632431

I know Academic Medicine entails working in a hospital affiliated with a medical school and teaching medical students, residents, and fellows. But does Academic Medicine REQUIRE research?

Members don't see this ad.

Depending upon the dep't and the school's faculty policies, publications might be required for promotion. Luckily, case reports count.

I know Academic Medicine entails working in a hospital affiliated with a medical school and teaching medical students, residents, and fellows. But does Academic Medicine REQUIRE research?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even at my little DO school, where research is given a seat so far back from teaching it's in the trunk, my clinical colleagues are expected to publish in order to obtain rank promotion.

Subject reviews count too!

Case reports +/- depending on department and hospital (like the rest of your post said ;)).

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the position you hire into, but there are teaching and/or administrative jobs available (with and without clinical duties).

Reactions: 1 users