Does advanced math count towards your science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CriticalLimit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do classes like differential equations, real analysis, partial differential equations, stochastic modeling in ecology, etc. count towards a science GPA or no?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm definitely no expert on the subject (having yet to submit an AMCAS), but my understanding is that yes.. math classes such as the ones you listed are absolutely counted in BCPM (Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Mathematics). I think courses given by these four departments are almost always considered in the sGPA calculation, and occasionally classes from other departments, if they involve a sufficient amount of "science", can be included as well. I don't know much about the exceptions, but the classes you listed (particularly the first three) are clear-cut BCPM, to my knowledge. Hope this helps.

If the Eco class is offered through the math department, then it would be counted as math and would be included in the BCPM GPA. If it's offered through BIO, but is mostly math, you are allowed to relabel it as MATH. If not, then it's probably science, depending on the predominant component of the curriculum. Must be 50% or greater, math or science, to be included in the BCPM.