Does AMCAS screen transcripts through the National Student Clearinghouse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is kind of old, but I have a question about this whole thing.

Does AMCAS automatically screen everyone through that infernal National Student Clearinghouse program for the schools that an applicant has ever attended?
Then, won't they automatically know if you are witholding any transcripts or not? Or does AMCAS just take your word for it?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that anyone knows whether any students are screened, and I seriously doubt that even if they do screen that every student would be screened. If they did, I don't know if they would tell us anyway. I know if I was AMCAS and I saw an anomaly on a transcript I might be tempted to use the clearinghouse...

Best bet is to just be honest about everything in your file. There's no reason to plant red flags. If they are found and raised in the future it could create some really bad problems for you. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would think it would be a standard thing to do in the background check...sure is easy to do.

If they were selectively checking, there would be certain "red flag" cases, such as someone who reportedly first attended college in their 20s or later...sure, it happens and everything can be kosher, but it begs the question about any "holes" in the resume that aren't explained away by something like military service immediately post high school...similarly, there would seem to be little need to check it for all the 21 year old applicants who seem to be right on time in the traditional sense...

There have been a number of posts on SDN from folks who got caught by AMCAS "forgetting" to submit a transcript. It isn't worth the inevitable lengthy delay in transcript certification to omit mentioning a past institution you attended for college credit.

Also, I doubt AMCAS uses that particular clearinghouse, as it admits on the face page that it doesn't include all US schools.

There have been a number of posts on SDN from folks who got caught by AMCAS "forgetting" to submit a transcript. It isn't worth the inevitable lengthy delay in transcript certification to omit mentioning a past institution you attended for college credit.

Would this only be in a case where the transcript included coursework from other institutions?

Also, I doubt AMCAS uses that particular clearinghouse, as it admits on the face page that it doesn't include all US schools.

There is no other clearinghouse, is there?

no, it actually costs a lot of money to get an applicant cleared.

the clearninghouse is actually to make sure that you have attended an institution and to verify your gpa. its done because so many douchebags have been putting on fake degrees and colleges on their resumes for business school and other professional or grad schools.

Can anyone provide a link to a situation in which amcas held up an application due to the person "forgetting" to submit a transcript when this coursework wasn't on the transcript put out by the school they are applying from. Thanks