Does an advocate make me look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway1million

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could go either way. Maybe it's a polite II, maybe it's legit. There's no way to know for sure so just go and do your best.

Reactions: 1 user
I am posting this under a throwaway account. I recently found out that my physician family member contacted his physician friend who works at my state's medical school's hospital. My family member (without my permission or my knowledge) asked the friend why I had not yet been offered an interview to the medical school. I had complained to my family member that I hadn't heard anything from said school because I thought I had a great shot at an interview and my stats are above the school's averages. The friend said he works with the admissions dean. I am not sure if the friend actually talked to the dean or what he said if he did, but a few weeks after this I received an II at this school.
I expected that this school would have interviewed me based upon fit and my stats, but now I am worried that it looks like I had this physician pull strings on my behalf (when in reality I am actually quite mad that this family member spoke about me without asking my permission). Does this reflect poorly upon me and are they likely just interviewing me as a courtesy because of what this physician may have said?
*Please don't quote this, as I am going to delete it afterwards*
Does it matter ? You will either be waitlisted or you will be accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea there is nothing I can do. I am just annoyed because this reflects badly upon me and this was my top choice school from the very beginning. I need to remember never to give information to loud mouths.

Yea there is nothing I can do. I am just annoyed because this reflects badly upon me and this was my top choice school from the very beginning. I need to remember never to give information to loud mouths.
If it makes you feel any better I know someone who was accepted after the exact circumstances.

This happens all the time at med schools, even with Governors and Senators acting as the advocates.

It doesn't help. usually it leads to a polite courtesy interview, which will lead to a more polite spot on a wait list, and ultimately, an even more polite rejection letter at the end of the cycle.

It can annoy the Admissions dean and his/her staff.

I am posting this under a throwaway account.

This happens all the time at med schools, even with Governors and Senators acting as the advocates.

It doesn't help. usually it leads to a polite courtesy interview, which will lead to a more polite spot on a wait list, and ultimately, an even more polite rejection letter at the end of the cycle.

It can annoy the Admissions dean and his/her staff.
That's what I was afraid of.
ETA: Should I say anything about it about the interview? Such as apologize and say that whatever was said was without my consent? That would probably make it worse, but I really feel screwed right now.

Last edited:
ETA: Should I say anything about it about the interview? Such as apologize and say that whatever was said was without my consent? That would probably make it worse, but I really feel screwed right now.
That would definitely make it worse.

Just go and try and behave as you would have had this not happened. Who knows maybe you'll blow them away and be accepted. You also don't really know if the intervention actually got you the interview. Don't assume you wouldn't have gotten an interview without the call unless you have proof. Even if it's true, it's not going to help you in any way to do so.

That would definitely make it worse.

Just go and try and behave as you would have had this not happened. Who knows maybe you'll blow them away and be accepted. You also don't really know if the intervention actually got you the interview. Don't assume you wouldn't have gotten an interview without the call unless you have proof. Even if it's true, it's not going to help you in any way to do so.
Okay I will do this and hope for the best. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Definitely don't do this. Stop knocking the hustle. Doesn't matter how you got your foot in the door. Welcome to the real world. In the unlikely chance someone brings this up during your interview the only appropriate reply is to act shocked and say you're flattered that this person thought of you and advocated on your behalf.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Wtf. You got an interview. Go to said interview. Do your best. End.

After studying words for 22 years, a premed is exposed to the cruel unfair world! But its in his benefit!

How should he best deal with this unethical conundrum.
/s

Accept the interview like the true hustler you are, do well, become a doctor.

After studying words for 22 years, a premed is exposed to the cruel unfair world! But its in his benefit!

How should he best deal with this unethical conundrum.
/s

Accept the interview like the true hustler you are, do well, become a doctor.
This made me laugh. In my defense, I was not so mildly freaking out when I initially posted. Thank you.

Nope.... say nothing about this. You may actually have been invited because you're competitive!

Reactions: 2 users

You're fine. This is how the world works.

Definitely don't do this. Stop knocking the hustle. Doesn't matter how you got your foot in the door. Welcome to the real world. In the unlikely chance someone brings this up during your interview the only appropriate reply is to act shocked and say you're flattered that this person thought of you and advocated on your behalf.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's not necessarily what you know, but who you know. Something every parent should teach their kids early, knowing how to network is honestly one of the most valuable life skills a person can posses.

Sometimes it's who you know.
And sometimes a courtesy interview results in an offer of admission (I can think of at least two instances where it happened over my objections where the applicants were well below the 10th percentile.) If the applicant being interviewed is above the mean, no one will even notice and most adcom members won't know what happened between your relative and the admissions officer who issued the interview invitation.

Reactions: 3 users
As long as you look as good as the rest of the contestants, you are unlikely to be harmed.
Saying something will remind everyone who knows about the "boost" and inform those who don't.
Don't do it.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot of life is about who you know. take advantage of the opportunity and do your best. It is up to you to prove to the school that the person advocating for you is right.

Quit being so paranoid, you got this!

Is it just a courtesy interview? -- Maybe. But no one will know that from your above-average stats unless you tell them.

Will it hurt you? - Not unless you point out that 'strings were pulled' and/or act like an entitled jerk (which, since you're embarrassed, sounds unlikely)

Your ap might have been in the great big "qualified but no particular reason to invite this guy over the other guy" pile, so be grateful for the opportunity to interview and make the most of it.

Edited to add: And rest assured that you won't be admitted unless they consider you well-qualified and likely to succeed. The 'string' you describe isn't enough to tip the admissions scale, "courtesy" interview or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all for your responses. They are much appreciated and make me feel better about the situation.