Does an OOSer have a snowball's chance in Texas applying TMDSAS?

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
There are at least 2 Texas schools I have some interest in applying to, possibly more if it seems like I have a chance...

Do those that get in OOS to Texas schools have very strong links to the state or does chance favor the bold?

hermit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I've read on here about Texas law mandating that 90% of matriculants must be Texas residents. Which would mean that any out of staters are competing for extremely few spots. But somebody gets em!

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status
Attending Physician
The law mandates that schools must accept AT LEAST 90% of their incoming class from in-state. Last year, the number was 92%. It is relatively cheap to apply through TMDSAS (even for OOS,) so if there are schools that you are really interested in, I'd say give it a shot.

Out of curiousity, what are the two schools?

About the Ads

yabbadabbadoo

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
Status
i might apply to tmdsas schools even though not resident b/c i did most of my pre-college schooling there and a ton of research etc. at various uni's around tx

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you need TMDSAS for Baylor? Because I'm cutting it off if I do.

yabbadabbadoo

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
Status
Rafa said:
Do you need TMDSAS for Baylor? Because I'm cutting it off if I do.
i dont believe so. just check your amcas for that option where you choose med schools.

MaKaye55

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
What does "OOS" stand for exactly? I know it has something to do with an out of state applicant but was never completely sure.

CptCrunch

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
MaKaye55 said:
What does "OOS" stand for exactly? I know it has something to do with an out of state applicant but was never completely sure.
Out Of State applicant.

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
you already said it! LOLZzzZZZzzZZZzzzzzzzzz

Vizious

Junglee
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
Yes, Texas schools have very few spots for out-of-staters. But not many out-of-staters apply for those spots (at least according to the MSAR). So percentage wise (spots/applicants), texas schools wont be too much lower from other schools if OOS. For example, UT-Southwestern has only around 20 spots for out of staters. However, (at least last year) only about 400-500 people applied for those spots. I don't remember the numbers for other UT's, but I think that applies to most other texas schools too.

SitraAchra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Your main problem is whether i want you in my state or not.

[i kid.]

OP
Depakote

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
jota_jota said:
The law mandates that schools must accept AT LEAST 90% of their incoming class from in-state. Last year, the number was 92%. It is relatively cheap to apply through TMDSAS (even for OOS,) so if there are schools that you are really interested in, I'd say give it a shot.

Out of curiousity, what are the two schools?
UT- Houston (I really like MD Anderson, I'd love to do some clinicals there)

TCOM- They seem lilke a DO school worth applying to and even the OOS tuition is really low

About the Ads

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status
Attending Physician
I'd be willing to bet that if you have a competitive application, you might have a decent chance at UT-H. I think that the lion's share of competitive OOS applicants are after a spot at UTSW. TCOM, I think, has a reputation as one of the better DO schools, and might actually be more competitive for OOS. This is mostly speculation, however, so take that for what it's worth.

Good Luck!

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just checked on AMCAS, and AMCAS will let you apply to three of the Texas schools. Baylor is one of them. I don't know anything about what the schools themselves require, they may still require TXMAwhatever it is.

If you have never applied there before you could check that you are a first time applicant to those schools, I bet.

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status
Attending Physician
This is not 100% correct as written.

Baylor College of MEDICINE is an AMCAS school, no doubt (Just for kicks, I'll point out that Baylor College of DENTISTRY is a TMDSAS school.)

One of the other "schools" is the MD/PhD program of UTSW. Yes, you apply for the MD-only program through TMDSAS but the MD/PhD program through AMCAS.

I'm not sure what the 3rd TX "school" that you can use AMCAS to apply to is (I would check it out, but AMCAS won't even let you log on if you are using Linux/Firefox,) but I know that you must use TMDSAS to apply to the MD-only programs of all TX schools except BCM, but including TCOM (which is, of course, a DO-only program.)

Sometimes you just have to love Bureaucracies.....

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Here is what AMCAS gives me on the pull-down menu if I select "Texas" as the state:
Baylor
UT Southwestern
UT Medical Branch
UT Medical School at Houston

:)

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status
Attending Physician
Apparently the "genius" of UTSW's using one service for MD-only and another service for MD/PhD is contageous. I found this on the TMDSAS web site, which confirms what you found on AMCAS:

Applicants to the joint MD/PhD program at UT Southwestern, UT Medical Branch at Galveston and UT Health Science Center at Houston must complete the AMCAS application for the combined program and pay the required application fee to AMCAS.
....so that explains it.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, Texas is weird. I suppose I shouldn't say that since I'm married to a Texan (he was born at Dallas Presby for those of you keeping track)....

...oh well. At least I know that everything is indeed bigger in Texas. ;)

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
SitraAchra said:
OMG, I didn't know Chuck Norris posted on SDN!!!! :laugh:

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
SitraAchra said:

[i kid.]
Dont worry...most people would not want to live in a state that claims George Bush as one of their own and where June teenth is a major holiday (says alot about the backwardness of that state)
:D

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
riceman04 said:
Dont worry...most people would not want to live in a state that claims George Bush as one of their own and where June teenth is a major holiday (says alot about the backwardness of that state)
At least we have some culture other than Hollywood plastic freaks.

Thank you very much.

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
baylormed said:
At least we have some culture other than Hollywood plastic freaks.

Thank you very much.
hahahahahahahahahaha
What culture? Dont claim mexican culture b/c we have that too!
"Redneck Woman" is the national anthem down there...hahahahahaha

And cowboys/cowgirls are NOT unique to Tejas...

Here is your culture: "The stars at night are big and bright, clap clap clap clap, deep in the heart of Texas..."

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
riceman04 said:
hahahahahahahahahaha
What culture? Dont claim mexican culture b/c we have that too!
"Redneck Woman" is the national anthem down there...hahahahahaha

And cowboys/cowgirls are uniqe to Tejas...

Here is your culture: "The stars at night are big and bright, clap clap clap clap, deep in the heart of Texas..."
The above comment deserves no answer, except to say that it deserves no answer. ;)

D

DoubleU

riceman04 said:
That's exactly why I AM applying there.

SitraAchra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
baylormed said:
OMG, I didn't know Chuck Norris posted on SDN!!!! :laugh:

Chuck Norris punishes this kind of ignorance with roundhouse kicks to the face.

browniegirl86

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Portland, OR
Status
Attending Physician
riceman04 said:
1. George Bush is NOT from Texas. He was born in New Haven, CT, thankyouverymuch. And whatever, he was the governor, who cares. The only real governor of Texas is Ann Richards :D

2. What's wrong with Juneteenth? Do you not like to celebrate the abolition of slavery? I know I sure do. And, according to Wiki, Juneteenth is an official holiday in 14 states. Maybe you should check out theCALIFORNIA Juneteenth site.

3. Why on earth did you go do Rice if you hate Texas so much? Did you have some traumatic redneck experience in Houston that made you so incredibly bitter?

(Disclaimer: there's plenty of crap that I can't stand in Texas/the rest of the south, which is one of the reasons I'm not going to school there, but you're just so outspoken on it all the time I have to wonder what inspired such hatred.)

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
browniegirl86 said:
1. George Bush is NOT from Texas. He was born in New Haven, CT, thankyouverymuch. And whatever, he was the governor, who cares. The only real governor of Texas is Ann Richards :D

2. What's wrong with Juneteenth? Do you not like to celebrate the abolition of slavery? I know I sure do. And, according to Wiki, Juneteenth is an official holiday in 14 states. Maybe you should check out theCALIFORNIA Juneteenth site.

3. Why on earth did you go do Rice if you hate Texas so much? Did you have some traumatic redneck experience in Houston that made you so incredibly bitter?

(Disclaimer: there's plenty of crap that I can't stand in Texas/the rest of the south, which is one of the reasons I'm not going to school there, but you're just so outspoken on it all the time I have to wonder what inspired such hatred.)
I was waiting for people to fall into that Juneteenth trap... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1. George Bush grew up in Texas, still maintains a ranch there, his parents live there, and his family's name is all over the main Houston airport...and TEXANS kiss his a$$.

2. Juneteenth, Juneteenth, Juneteenth...I was not pointing out that slavery was abolished. I was pointing out that it was abolished (IN TEXAS) a whole year after it was abolished everywhere else...dont celebrate that...that sucks!!!!

3. What's funny is that I liked my time at Rice...and I like Houston. I just dont like aspects of it. No worries...I will always hate the cities I love the most. The same goes for LA. Both sides of my fam are from Texas, my sisters grew up down there (one went to med school there), everyone is still practically there, and I have been going down to the H-town area since I was 2 (started when the 84' Olympics were out in LA).

About that Pamona Juneteenth website: are you familiar with the migration patterns of Afr. Americans back during the civil rights era (and prior to that too). The majority of people from TX, OK, LA, and Arkansas migrated to california (read west coast). People from the deeeeeeeeeeeep south like Alabama, Mississippi, and Fla moved to Chi-Town, NYC, DC, Philly. Same goes for those from NC, GA, and that other unspeakable Carolina state.

browniegirl86

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Portland, OR
Status
Attending Physician
riceman04 said:
I was waiting for people to fall into that Juneteenth trap... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1. George Bush grew up in Texas, still maintains a ranch there, his parents live there, and his family's name is all over the main Houston airport...and TEXANS kiss his a$$.

2. Juneteenth, Juneteenth, Juneteenth...I was not pointing out that slavery was abolished. I was pointing out that it was abolished (IN TEXAS) a whole year after it was abolished everywhere else...dont celebrate that...that sucks!!!!

3. What's funny is that I liked my time at Rice...and I like Houston. I just dont like aspects of it. No worries...I will always hate the cities I love the most. The same goes for LA. Both sides of my fam are from Texas, my sisters grew up down there (one went to med school there), everyone is still practically there, and I have been going down to the H-town area since I was 2 (started when the 84' Olympics were out in LA).

About that Pamona Juneteenth website: are you familiar with the migration patterns of Afr. Americans back during the civil rights era (and prior to that too). The majority of people from TX, OK, LA, and Arkansas migrated to california (read west coast). People from the deeeeeeeeeeeep south like Alabama, Mississippi, and Fla moved to Chi-Town, NYC, DC, Philly. Same goes for those from NC, GA, and that other unspeakable Carolina state.
I'm just giving you a hard time :)

And I thought that CA Juneteenth thing was pretty funny . . . it came up on the links for the Wiki Juneteenth site so I just couldn't resist.

And yeah, I just hate Bush and even more than that, I hate how people automatically assume that I support him because I'm from Texas (yeah, I know, statistics or whatever, but you can never trust those). I'll never kiss his ass. If the secret service wouldn't kill me, I'd kick him square in the ass given the opportunity.

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
browniegirl86 said:
I'm just giving you a hard time :)

And I thought that CA Juneteenth thing was pretty funny . . . it came up on the links for the Wiki Juneteenth site so I just couldn't resist.

And yeah, I just hate Bush and even more than that, I hate how people automatically assume that I support him because I'm from Texas (yeah, I know, statistics or whatever, but you can never trust those). I'll never kiss his ass. If the secret service wouldn't kill me, I'd kick him square in the ass given the opportunity.
:laugh:
good luck at UCSF...I hope you enjoy my home state :D

About the Ads