Does any military dentists know about Retrograde HPSP??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UOP_Dentist

USAF Dentist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

thanks for listening.

I am in the military.....without doing the HPSP scholarship. Yes, i know.....let's not relive the past.

I was told that I can apply to have a retrograde HPSP scholarship that would essentially eliminate my student loans. I am VERY skeptical of this and realize that it may be too good to be true.

Has any military folks (especially USAF) ever heard of such a thing? if so.....please tell me.

you can pm me for more privacy.

thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

i have not heard of such things on Navy side of the house, but your education command would be the place to check. i cant imagine this would be real...there is no incentive for the DoD to sponsor such a program. why would they pay off the loans of a dentist they already have under contract?

The April issue of the AF dental corp newsletter talks about the loan repayment program. Here is the exscript:

"At press time the Dental Corps has funded quotas remaining for both new recruits (Accession HPLRP) and existing members (Retention HPLRP). This is a fantastic opportunity for young dental officers to pay down their existing student loans with only two years of obligation to the Air Force! The maximum repayment for FY08 is $38,300 per year, minus taxes. Officers with qualifying loans who sign up for two years of participation stand to receive over $76,000 toward their loans (beyond their regular salaries!) in exchange for two years of commitment to the Air Force. HPLRP participants receive repayment of loans used to finance health profession education. Repayment may consist of loan amounts for principal, interest and reasonable educational and living expenses. Payments are sent directly to the lending institution on behalf of the HPLRP participant. All details about the 2008 HPLRP are posted at:
http://www.afit.edu/adhplrp. Check it out!!!"

I don't know about the retrograde policy but with your credential you will have no problem paying off the debt. GL!

Members don't see this ad :)
that darn Air Force...always just above the Navy...

that was actually a little silly ironic reference to the Air Force's new commercial slogan "Above All". i have spent the last couple of months going back and forth with some AF dental buddies about it. im just so busy accelerating my life...